Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, thetime said:

They will win fuck all, but exciting football all the same. :rolleyes:

You're probably right, as they've tended to struggle against the better teams this year ... tho they've definitely come into better form, so it depends if they can keep it up to some extent.

---

Remember how a year ago Liverpool's squad was very thin? It's rather amazing how much a small number of summer transfers has bulked it up by a huge amount.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

There'll be some interesting facets to the draw...

Chelsea can only draw either Barcelona, PSG or Besiktas for example. They could well live to regret not winning the group.

Our CL games against Barcelona are historic and our rivalry with PSG has intensified in recent years. We've played both many times. Chelsea will be up for either of these games, that's for sure. The only regret is that finishing second place means we play the second leg away from home.

edit: Barca is also most likely as two other second place Spanish teams in the knock outs and no French or Turkish.

Edited by jyoung

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

:huh:

Got to love Chelsea fans, at least Liverpool have a history to be deluded.

Eh? Not saying we're gonna spank them 5-0 or anything so there is really nothing deluded about it mate. Simply saying that Chelsea - Barca have faced off numerous times in the last fifteen years and played out some incredible matches. Likewise with PSG. Some feisty knock out games in more recent years gives an added edge to the game.

Edited by jyoung

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Eh? Not saying we're gonna spank them 5-0 or anything so there is really nothing deluded about it mate. Simply saying that Chelsea - Barca have faced off numerous times in the last fifteen years and played out some incredible matches. Likewise with PSG. Some feisty knock out games in more recent years gives an added edge to the game.

I wouldn’t class them historic though. 

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

I wouldn’t class them historic though. 

That's fair enough mate. Obviously the Chelsea fans do and if the rivalry means a lot to us I suppose it's down to 10 games (some massively controversial) in 7 years and knocking out Pep Guardiola's 'total football' / 'best ever Barca' in 2012 before winning the final. You can call that deluded and we'll call it historic. 

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That's fair enough mate. Obviously the Chelsea fans do and if the rivalry means a lot to us I suppose it's down to 10 games (some massively controversial) in 7 years and knocking out Pep Guardiola's 'total football' / 'best ever Barca' in 2012 before winning the final. You can call that deluded and we'll call it historic. 

Aaahhh historic for Chelsea, then I’m with you on that. 

For the first time in 12 years and 58 matches United are not having an FA Cup tie televised.

January 5: Liverpool vs Everton (BBC)

January 6: Fleetwood/Hereford vs Leicester City (BBC)

January 6: Norwich vs Chelsea (BT Sport)

January 7: Shrewsbury vs West Ham United (BBC)

January 7: Nottingham Forest vs Arsenal (BT Sport)

January 8: Brighton and Hove Albion vs Crystal Palace (BT Sport)

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Rivalry with PSG :lol:

Mate come on... All I'm saying is that we played them in the CL for three years on the trot in what were fiercely contested games and its brewed a bit of a rivalry, which y'know, is how all competitive rivalries begin...