Football 17/18

TheGayTent

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i watched the liverpool match last night. On that stream at half time they showed Charlie Adam's goal for Stoke from behind the half way line.

It's better than Rooney's. Adam had to beat the goalie too, it wasn't the same easy lob-over as last night.

Yeah goes with out saying that any goal by a pool or ex-pool player is better. Adam's is of course a much more difficult strike as he received the ball directly to his feet, had time to take two touches, scratch his arse and then pick his spot with a lob. Its much easier to hit a ball like that when it comes at you at speed from a 30 degree angle.

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lost said:

Yeah goes with out saying that any goal by a pool or ex-pool player is better.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, lost said:

Adam's is of course a much more difficult strike as he received the ball directly to his feet, had time to take two touches, scratch his arse and then pick his spot with a lob. Its much easier to hit a ball like that when it comes at you at speed from a 30 degree angle.

But the difference is: Adam had to pick his spot and hit that spot.

Rooney had just-about an open goal to aim at.

Alonso's against Newcastle was clearly better. Nothing to do with the goalie falling over, oh no.

Or maybe his 70 yarder against Luton when he'd just gone past their goalie. That one's worth it just for Gerrard having a go at him for not passing before it goes in.

Yup. Libpool players do better goals from over the half way line. 

Been reading the comments else where as well plus the pundits. The Fans seem seem to say its not that great because the goalkeeper was out whilst the ex-professionals put more en-thesis on how the ball was stuck on the volley driving through the laces rather than a lob ( with one saying the best goal in the entire history of the premiership) 

Interesting how a viewer and someone who has played the game at a high level see the game differently but I guess as its the fans who vote at the end of the season it may not win 

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

care to say which hgh level club you played for...?

Else you've disproven your own theory, and proven it's just opinion. :P

The pundits I was talking about. Ian Wright for example. I said goal of the season so far not best goal in the history of the premiership as I think Rooney's against Man City is up there too plus a few others

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

did wrighty compare it with adam's goal?

Or did he just get gushy about Rooney?

:P

I don't think he did. Rio thinks the one against City is better because it was a more important match so again people judge the definition of best differently.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so nothing of what you claimed then. :lol:

If someone says best in the history I wouldn't expect them to reel off every single goal in the history of the premiership in the same sentence as they'd still be there doing it now. He also didn't say it was better than the beach balls goal against Liverpool (which definitely was better!!)

Edited by lost

14 minutes ago, lost said:

If someone says best in the history I wouldn't expect them....

... to have really considered everything in history when just one new exciting example had been viewed?

How many times in a season do you hear the same pundits say they've just seen goal of the season? :P

No one is saying Rooney's goal is shit, but it's perfectly possible for different people to appreciate differently the different aspects of the differing skills involved in each.

There is no right or wrong, there is only opinion.

"The operating costs of the relocatable seating which now represent the largest annual expense to E20.
These costs are in excess of £10m per annum, which is over 300 times greater than the figure budgeted
(of £300k). This cost is not just limited to one year, but is an ongoing issue as the movement of seats
is required every year, and this level of operating cost is not expected to be reduced without a new
solution for seating being implemented, at considerable additional capital expense."

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Quarter Finals is not unrealistic for England after that draw. Qualifying from that group is the bare minimum then none of Poland, Colombia, Senegal or Japan should be feared. Colombia for instance are not the team they were four years ago.

I would argue that Poland or Colombia wouldn't fear England either.

I think Group H looks like it will be great to watch. While none of the 4 teams are likely to win the tournament, all are good teams with some exciting attacking players who could take a big scalp or two. Every other group has a clear favourite or two to qualify.

That's a cracking draw across the board for me. There are no 'groups of death' with most of them with clear favourites for the two qualifiers, however there are several groups Im looking at that I think teams will surprise in. And I'm not seeing too many one sided games that we have become accustomed to in world cups.

Russia could very easily not qualify from that group, Egypt and Uruguay are both dangerous (This is working on the basis that they aren't 'helped' in any way)

Also, Nigeria being drawn against Argentina again is truly incredible. 5 out of 6 world cups they have been at now.

Edited by mjsell

26 minutes ago, mjsell said:

That's a cracking draw across the board for me. There are no 'groups of death' with most of them with clear favourites for the two qualifiers, however there are several groups Im looking at that I think teams will surprise in. And I'm not seeing too many one sided games that we have become accustomed to in world cups.

Russia could very easily not qualify from that group, Egypt and Uruguay are both dangerous (This is working on the basis that they aren't 'helped' in any way)

Also, Nigeria being drawn against Argentina again is truly incredible. 5 out of 6 world cups they have been at now.

I suspect Russia will get officiating similar to South Korea when they hosted.