Football 17/18

TheGayTent

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they've probably got tax-free (or low tax) deals, tho. 

I know that players often demand more from english clubs than they do in other places, cos it's the after-tax payment that interests them and not the top-line figure.

Especially the tax on a pint of wine compared with Spain and Italy. 

Some amusing tidbits I've seen floating around on social media today:

Last 12 years:
Palace: Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Hodgson
WBA: Hodgson, Pulis, Pardew
West Ham: Pardew, Allardyce, Moyes
Newcastle: Allardyce, Pardew
Everton: Moyes, Allardyce
Fulham: Hodgson, Hughes
Sunderland: Allardyce, Moyes
Stoke: Pulis, Hughes
Blackburn: Hughes, Allardyce

Once Everton appoint Sam Allardyce there will be 9 British managers in the Premier League including all of the bottom 7, none in the top 6.
Average age: 53.
Major trophies between them: 0.

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

tho to be fair, as the list of clubs shows, they've never had the realistic chance of winning trophies.

I quite fancy seeing Sam have a 'big' club, to see what happens*. He might be utterly shit, but he might not be either. Like it or not, he's been effective as a manager at a few places, and not always sacked for being shit either.

(*not one I like, obviously :P)

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Good luck to both those clubs because both managers were useless for Newcastle. 

Pards will see an upswing for a while then nosedive. 

Big Sam won't be at Everton that long.

Pards will be gone middle of next season. He always wears out his welcome at clubs when he hits his 10 game losing streak

Allardyce (despite being an insufferable dick) is better though, but he will probaby leave soonish when he gets an international job offer.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Once Everton appoint Sam Allardyce there will be 9 British managers in the Premier League including all of the bottom 7, none in the top 6.
Average age: 53.

In fairness Man U, Man C, Chelsea , Liverpool and Arsenal (who have hoovered up most of the trophies) haven't appointed many British managers in the last 15years. So is it a case they aren't good enough, or they don't get the opportunity?

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Pards will be gone middle of next season. He always wears out his welcome at clubs when he hits his 10 game losing streak

Allardyce (despite being an insufferable dick) is better though, but he will probaby leave soonish when he gets an international job offer.

I can understand WBA who seem to just want to survive every season, I'm a bit disappointed Everton haven't looked beyond the merry go round.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would never pick a shot from the half way line as goal of the season.

It wasn't your typical up and over lob. He hit it first time on the half volley and it was still rising but enough back spin by driving down into the ground to keep it under the bar. Unbelievable technique.

Edited by lost

18 minutes ago, lost said:

It wasn't your typical up and over lob. He hit it first time on the half volley and it was still rising but enough back spin by driving down into the ground to keep it under the bar. Unbelievable technique.

I would just never choose a one touch goal as goal of the season. I would always choose team goals as I think there is more scope for error. To me some of the best goals end with an easy finish.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would just never choose a one touch goal as goal of the season. I would always choose team goals as I think there is more scope for error. To me some of the best goals end with an easy finish.

Yeah maybe.. I just can't remember seeing a ball travel like that over such a distance. It almost reminded me of how the best tennis players hit a ball where the back spin makes it drop just after it gone over the net.

Third last minute goal from Sterling to win Man city a game 

13th goal this season.

After all the crap the media have given him this over the years, im glad he is proving himself to be such a great footballer

Another 2 goals from Salah as well. Great player

Edited by zahidf

Big goal from Sterling though. 

City not quite looking as infallible as they have been. Delph is showing a few signs of defensive weakness at left back and Southampton had some big chances from set pieces. Is fellaini fit? Wouldn't be surprised if he plays in the derby...

Cracking penalty save from Pickford as well. His first clean sheet since the first game of the season. 

Edited by mjsell

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed. Arsenals second was a much nicer goal in my book.

I get that Rooney's was cracking technique but I just prefer watching smooth one touch passing goals. 

13 hours ago, lost said:

i watched the liverpool match last night. On that stream at half time they showed Charlie Adam's goal for Stoke from behind the half way line.

It's better than Rooney's. Adam had to beat the goalie too, it wasn't the same easy lob-over as last night.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

surely that was because it was 96' minute and they thought a winner wasn't coming...?

(I've no idea. Was my assumption when I saw the empty seats for the goal)

Nah. A few left obviously. It was freezing but you don't leave from behind the goal your team is attacking and bombarding the goal for a crucial last minute winner. Its because it was a midweek game against a team in the bottom half. City fans have gone from paying Championship prices to top tier prices in a very short period of time. They've priced a lot of fans out.