Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Apparently Ross Barkley is running again. Unsworth reckons he could be back in a few weeks. Wonder if we'll see him in an Everton shirt before January and whether or not he'll sign a new contract. I reckon now Koeman's gone he could stay. Seen videos of the fans still singing his song at games etc.

37 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Apparently Ross Barkley is running again. Unsworth reckons he could be back in a few weeks. Wonder if we'll see him in an Everton shirt before January and whether or not he'll sign a new contract. I reckon now Koeman's gone he could stay. Seen videos of the fans still singing his song at games etc.

Not sure as the one game Unsworth took charge of after Martinez he dropped Barkley to give Davis his first start. I'd love him to stay but it did seem his heart was set on Spurs when he rejected Chelsea.

In other news Bielsa is available after leaving Lille.

Edited by lost

5 minutes ago, lost said:

I'd love him to stay but it did seem his heart was set on Spurs when he rejected Chelsea.

Yep. Pretty much.

Willian did a similar thing a few years ago. Had a medical at Spurs and then moved to Chelsea. Since then he's beaten Spurs in the League Cup final and won the Premier League twice. Spurs have won nothing, so.

Maybe Ross ought to reconsider.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Get the crazy bastard down to the Hawthorns! Stat!

Sadly I fear he is too crazy for any club here to take a punt on.

I went to Lille a few weeks back and have to say they weren't impressive at all. Though I don't follow French football enough to know if there are extenuating circumstances. Plus they were playing Marseille anyway so expected them to be underdogs. 

As you say, can't see anyone gambling on him but he would certainly be a welcome addition to me if anyone did. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

As you say, can't see anyone gambling on him but he would certainly be a welcome addition to me if anyone did. 

The Premier League is becoming more and more risk adverse. This is why the thought of Pardew depresses me, it would be an appointment without a trace of imagination, one that screams "we have no intention or ambition of trying to better ourselves and are happy to just keep suckling at the PL teat."

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

"we have no intention or ambition of trying to better ourselves and are happy to just keep suckling at the PL teat."

I think that's true of virtually every club now. Even the clubs who regularly compete to win things....the trophies aren't about glory they're about growing the brand, increasing the business value etc etc

9 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I think that's true of virtually every club now. Even the clubs who regularly compete to win things....the trophies aren't about glory they're about growing the brand, increasing the business value etc etc

I know, it just saddens me that football clubs these days are essentially conduits for profit. The actual sporting side feels like an afterthought to many clubs, which is why risks aren't taken.

42 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Sad but true.

The money being paid to mediocre players outwith the top clubs in the EPL is bonkers. 

Obviously the wages are also bonkers at the top end but the other clubs shelling out money with no hope of winning anything and who’s only hope is to stay in the same league ?

Happend up here when the clubs tried to compete with our big 2 and paid crazy wages. Didn’t end well.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Read an interview with him in the Evening Standard after he was sacked by West Ham saying he wanted to take some time out to recharge. This might be too soon for him.

The spectre of Pardew is drawing depressingly closer.

Fair enough. He'd be who I'd hope for in your position.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Niasse ban:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42113397

FA saying there was contact there but not enough to knock him down.

As 99% of the time, a player won't get a penalty unless they go down, if the contact is enough to slow them down from reaching the ball for a chance at goal or a cross is this now going to be an acceptable way of defending?

Secondly or more likely as for consistency they now are probably going to need to ban 10 players a week from the prem (which they won't) is this rule now going to cause more problems than it fixes?

Thirdly as I think the FA are the only country implementing this, is it going to put us at a disadvantage when playing in Europe if our players learn not to exaggerate contact but every other country continues to do this.