Football 17/18

TheGayTent

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wish he'd played from the start. The way he was getting at them would have probably paid off with more opportunities.

Yep, wouldn't argue with that. Vardy doesn't cut it as an international level striker for me. He has thrived at Leicester because the team is designed for/ around him. He is very one dimensional and if that dimension isn't needed - which it never will be with what Southgate is trying to do with England - he may as well not be there. 

I hope Solanke plays somewhere during this season, if Liverpool aren't going to give him games then send him on loan somewhere in January. 

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

I hope Solanke plays somewhere during this season, if Liverpool aren't going to give him games then send him on loan somewhere in January. 

yeah, after last night I can't quite grasp why Sturridge is getting games before him.

Then again, he's not as dangerous as he did last night in the times I've seen him for Liverpool - so perhaps that's why.

Solanke definitely looked up for it. Different type of striker to Tammy. He was chasing down everything and getting stuck in whereas Tammy is more of an off the ball forward with good movement that creates chances to poach a goal.

RLC wasn't as strong but he was definitely carrying an injury there. He just needs regular football to get his body up to speed but that shouldn't be a problem. Livermore didn't impress as much and I thought Dier played fairly negatively. There wasn't a lot of forward passing but then again our movement was rubbish so options were limited.

I thought Gomez faired much better than on his debut against Germany. Not sure if it was a MOTM performance but yeah. Fair play to the defence. Not conceding a single goal against decent Germany and Brazil sides is a solid achievement. Hopefully when our best attacking players are back to full fitness we'll offer more going forward. 

Reasons to be positive though.

Edited by jyoung

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The question is could they keep the clean sheets if both those teams needed to score. I think friendlies are a pretty false situation.

True but you can only play what's in front of you and in this moment it was Germmy and Brazil in friendlies. Pickford and Hart both made some good saves and were alert when players got through while the defenders I think performed proudly in both games. 

Like you said, we're yet to see if that will translate into the summer when it really matters.

Being Welsh and and Liverpool fan there is no bias in this question... just curious what England fans think..

I can't understand Joe Hart starting, especially in the last 2 games. I don't think it's "bad luck" he concedes 3 or 4 goals fairly often. Massively ovverratedin my opinion. 

Had this conversation with a mate last night and he said Hart starts as they needed experienced players which I kinda get with the actual WC games but surely friendlies are meant for giving the younger players experience? I honestly believe Butland is better than him, with Pickford/Heaton also very good keepers. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Just wondering if you all want Hart as your starting keeper or would prefer someone else?

31 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Just wondering if you all want Hart as your starting keeper or would prefer someone else?

On performances this time round I'd be happy with Pickford ... but then ....

I remember how often we've had the great new goalie hope in a tournament finals, only for them to do a stupid fuck-up.

Hart has already done his, and perhaps we only get the one from any goalie? :P

In the last 18 months Hart has barely put a foot wrong for England and it would have taken something dramatic for him to be dropped. For that reason I can see why Southgate is sticking with him for now.

My feeling is that this WC will be Hart’s last major tournament, with Butland and Pickford spending the next decade battling each other for the gloves.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Had this conversation with a mate last night and he said Hart starts as they needed experienced players which I kinda get with the actual WC games but surely friendlies are meant for giving the younger players experience?

Pickford played against Germany last week, and Butland has broken a finger - if you are going on the basis that those three are nailed on to be the 3 keepers next year then why wouldn't you split duties for the two friendlies and play Hart?

Personally I would prefer Pickford, I think Butland hasn't pushed on since his season out because of injuries, but I understand why Hart will probably be favoured (what has said above).

It's pretty worrying that none of the three are keeping many clean sheets this season. But if you are going purely on that then Forster is above the three of them.

World cup seedings confirmed, proof if it was needed that FIFA World Rankings are bollocks, Poland above Spain??

Pot A: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France
Pot B: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia
Pot C: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran
Pot D: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, Saudi Arabia

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Hendo has a lot of faults, but he can see a pass better than most in the Prem.

Perhaps count up his assists, to land on the facts?

Always surprised how much criticism Hendo comes in for, last season he was near the top of most passing stats despite missing the last 4 months. His passing stats have been up there again with the best in the league again, and generally being more attacking than others in his position.