Football 17/18

TheGayTent

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

Perhaps Bilic got pushed at the right time, tough fixtures coming up.

West Ham's December fixtures:

Man City (A) 
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (H) EFL Cup
Stoke (A)
Arsenal (A)
Newcastle (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Spurs (A)

You've got the Arsenal games the wrong way around. 

Also, if you think those games are tough then you would have to accept Moyes' first three games are easy. Watford, Leicester, and Everton. 

8 hours ago, lost said:

I think Moyes will do ok at West Ham. He was never going to do anything at Sunderland having to cut the debt by 20% - 30%. I guess the question will be if he has enough time as his biggest plus is the scouting network he puts in place.

Was Moyes ever particularly good at transfers? Everton spent some fairly hefty fees and wages (by a non-CL team standard) on dross. Lots of failures up front and out wide.

At Sunderland he largely signed players he'd worked with before. 

47 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Was Moyes ever particularly good at transfers? Everton spent some fairly hefty fees and wages (by a non-CL team standard) on dross. Lots of failures up front and out wide.

At Sunderland he largely signed players he'd worked with before. 

The year he got champions league football I think is probably the biggest achievement in the premier league only topped by leicester recently. That year he had the 11th largest wage bill and the lowest spend in the entire league. Finishing above the European champions.

fF3Ut4D.png

Seamus Coleman (£60K) in fact the whole defence that he built., Tim Cahill. mikel arteta

Pretty much always sold to buy, he averaged a £664,192 net spend per year during his time at Everton. Also two top 5 finishes with Evertons wage bill around the 11th - 12th highest in the league.

Edited by lost

7 hours ago, jyoung said:

Delph, Alli, Kane, Winks, Sterling and Henderson have all withdrawn from the England squad with injury. It's gonna be an experimental 11 vs Brazil and Germany...

England squad midfield options:

Dier, Lingard, Livermore, Loftus-Cheek, Young...

We have double the amount of defenders in the squad. 

Not sure why the likes of Chamberlain, Demarai Gray, Redmond or Tom Ince haven't been called up. Hell, we are so short in the middle even the likes of Cleverely (shudder), Carroll, Wilshere or Shelvey...

Fuck we have terrible midfielders

Edited by mjsell

1 hour ago, lost said:

The year he got champions league football I think is probably the biggest achievement in the premier league only topped by leicester recently. That year he had the 11th largest wage bill and the lowest spend in the entire league. Finishing above the European champions.

fF3Ut4D.png

Seamus Coleman (£60K) in fact the whole defence that he built., Tim Cahill. mikel arteta

Pretty much always sold to buy, he averaged a £664,192 net spend per year during his time at Everton. Also two top 5 finishes with Evertons wage bill around the 11th - 12th highest in the league.

I remember Everton's wage bill being around 6th highest average during his time in charge. Spurs/Villa/Newcastle/City will all have had higher in individual seasons, but I think that's the only season all of them spent more on wages.

The net spend figure I also considering misleading, as I know there were big sales like Rooney that generated money, but there were a lot of signings like Yakubu, Bilayetdinov, Beattie, Andy Johnson. ~£10m signings in an era when most mid table clubs rarely spent over £5m and most of them didn't work out. No net transfer spending when shipping out players you'd previously signed for the same fee isn't the same as not signing players. Particularly as neither figures factor in the agency fees and signing bonuses paid for all the free transfers either. Van Der Meyde springs to mind but I know there were quite a few other big name "free" transfers that actually cost a huge amount of money.

37 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I remember Everton's wage bill being around 6th highest average during his time in charge. Spurs/Villa/Newcastle/City will all have had higher in individual seasons, but I think that's the only season all of them spent more on wages.

Nah thats incorrect figures are below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9514149/Graphic-Premier-League-transfer-and-wage-spending-from-the-200001-season-to-201112.html

Wages peaked at 8th highest when the club thought it would have champions league revenue in 05 /06

then 6th finish with 9th highest wages (14th net spend)

5th with 11th highest wages (10th net spend)

5th with 12th highest wages (9th net spend)

8th with 10th (14th net spend)

7th with 9th (16th net spend)

He definitely punched above his weight for a good number of seasons. I cant think of another manager who came close during that period apart from Wenger. Thats not to say he will do well at West Ham as the Sky money jump has changed the league completely now.

The club also did not have money to slosh about on things like agents fee's and the like due to the way Kenwright funded the purchase. he was only worth £3m and was paying 10 -12% APR on some of the loans due to his risk profile.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Getting knocked out of Europe twice in a week was pretty special by anyone's standards.

2200.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Weighted balls.. Moyes was even ahead of his time pointing out the corruption at UEFA/FIFA :P 

14 hours ago, mjsell said:

Not sure why the likes of Chamberlain, Demarai Gray, Redmond or Tom Ince haven't been called up. Hell, we are so short in the middle even the likes of Cleverely (shudder), Carroll, Wilshere or Shelvey...

Agreed. We should have drafted in at least another cm and wide player. I like Demarai Gray. Hopefully he gets more game time at Leicester now he's signed on because the lad can be decent.

I said in the past that Wilshere's name shouldn't be mentioned. Mainly because he wasn't playing week in week out but to be honest with the lack of options I'd suggest now to be the best time to bring him in. He's been there before, knows the score, gives the youngsters someone to look at etc. Good grief.

As you eluded to, the midfield options are nothing short of awful at this stage.

Edited by jyoung

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Agreed. We should have drafted in at least another cm and wide player. I like Demarai Gray. Hopefully he gets more game time at Leicester now he's signed on because the lad can be decent.

I said in the past that Wilshere's name shouldn't be mentioned. Mainly because he wasn't playing week in week out but to be honest with the lack of options I'd suggest now to be the best time to bring him in. He's been there before, knows the score, gives the youngsters someone to look at etc. Good grief.

As you eluded to, the midfield options are nothing short of awful at this stage.

Sadly it's not just the midfield. Defense and GK are poor. Only position we have good depth is striker. Although if Kane plays anything like he did at the euros we will be out at the group stage of the world cup again.

Remember the days we had Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Rooney (when he was good) etc... We don't have any players in the current team better than those I've just listed. It's impossible to have any optimism going in the world cup, especially having Southgate as manager which tops it all off.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

Sadly it's not just the midfield. Defense and GK are poor. Only position we have good depth is striker. Although if Kane plays anything like he did at the euros we will be out at the group stage of the world cup again.

Remember the days we had Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Rooney (when he was good) etc... We don't have any players in the current team better than those I've just listed. It's impossible to have any optimism going in the world cup, especially having Southgate as manager which tops it all off.

Remember all those trophies we won and fantastic performances they put in too?

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If you take away Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece and Portugal there are plenty of other Europeans teams who havent won things as well.

You mean take out every team in Europe that has a consistent history of high quality players except us and the Dutch?

Some star generations aside (current Belgian, Czech early 00s, etc), you've listed the teams that are consistently talented and would be expecting eras of success.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Remember all those trophies we won and fantastic performances they put in too?

I think it just emphasizes how poor we are now. If that team couldn't win anything (or even get close), our current team has no chance. Especially with a manager like Southgate.