Football 17/18

TheGayTent

On 10/28/2017 at 7:51 PM, thetime said:

:huh:

Jose did not park the bus or go all out attack, but both sides were pretty poor.

Thought it was pretty straight forward myself. :D

It was the oxymoronic nature of the post that I found odd. You were saying it was a football match between two decent sides but then said they quality was shit. Just read funny thats all. 

Poor performance by Chelsea. Everything went right for us last year but this time round we're starting to see it from the other side.

We're suffering too often from defensive frailties which isn't expected in any Chelsea side. The fans are questioning some of the names on the line up and generally speaking the tactics and decision making hasn't looked as inspired as last season. Definitely think Conte is a class manager and can turn it around because with most of us expecting him to leave in the summer hopefully he can bow out with a bang rather than fizzling away. 

By no means a crisis or anything but we definitely need to tighten up at the back and get Kante back in the middle with Drinkwater to try and grasp a bit more control over proceedings. Morata looks a bit sulky at the moment but when you're not scoring goals that tends to happen. Hopefully he'll find the net this weekend because his form before the injury was superb. Hazard's playing well and getting into his groove but time for some of the other lads to step up.

12 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Greyson sacked by Sunderland.

They now only have 4 home games remaining to try and get a league home win in 2017 :lol:

Saw a remarkable stat on Twitter last night - Mick McCarthy was the last Sunderland manager to be in charge for more than 100 matches. That was eleven managers ago.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Big Mick. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in the top flight, though I suspect if he was honest with himself he's happier down in the 2nd division. 

Shame, he's worth 10 of some of the managers that have replaced him. 

Its a real pity he's a 'wall plastic paddy northerner !

Well done Spurs, from an Arsenal fan.

That is a statement result. The biggest for Spurs by a distance since I've been alive. 

And despite being an Arsenal fan, witnessing what Spurs have done as a club over the last 5/10 years has been a pleasure (and slightly devastating in equal measures), but as a football fan it has been phenomenal. They just need to start winning things and the journey is almost complete. 

Just now, mjsell said:

That is a statement result. The biggest for Spurs by a distance since I've been alive. 

And despite being an Arsenal fan, witnessing what Spurs have done as a club over the last 5/10 years has been a pleasure (and slightly devastating in equal measures), but as a football fan it has been phenomenal. They just need to start winning things and the journey is almost complete. 

Absolutely brilliant from Spurs.

Reals first loss in a champions league qualifier since Oct 12

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I suppose it depends when you were born, but I wouldn't rank it above spurs winning the FA cup final in the early 90s. Now if they take a scalp like that in the knockouts, I may reassess that opinion.

What you got against Spurs PT ?

Youve had a few negative posts on them.

20 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Agreed and fair play to you :-)

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I think it was a great win, I just don't think it their best in  the last 30 years.

Have you changed your views on Spurs from what you were saying in recent months ?

I like watching them. Fantastic night for them. What’s the relevance in a negative comparison with a cup win 3 decades ago.

They were playing Real Madrid.

46 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Have you changed your views on Spurs from what you were saying in recent months ?

I like watching them. Fantastic night for them. What’s the relevance in a negative comparison with a cup win 3 decades ago.

They were playing Real Madrid.

The relevance was in relation to the comment, the biggest result by a distance since I've been alive. I felt that was over egging it a little, but it depends when you were born.

My opinion on Spurs hasn't really changed. I have never doubted they can win games (particularly at home) against top sides. I think there are still questions whether they can win the true win or bust games.

In terms of style of play, I find them a little overated, although that's subjective.I also think they get quite an easy ride from the media. Compare this to Arsenal who have had a very similar start to the league.

However at the same time I admire their ability to compete with teams spending more and hold on to players on comparitively low wages. I would say last 16 is par for them, so they have put themselves in a great position to go at least one round further. As always you need a bit of luck from the draw.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The relevance was in relation to the comment, the biggest result by a distance since I've been alive. I felt that was over egging it a little, but it depends when you were born.

My opinion on Spurs hasn't really changed. I have never doubted they can win games (particularly at home) against top sides. I think there are still questions whether they can win the true win or bust games.

In terms of style of play, I find them a little overated, although that's subjective.I also think they get quite an easy ride from the media. Compare this to Arsenal who have had a very similar start to the league.

However at the same time I admire their ability to compete with teams spending more and hold on to players on comparitively low wages. I would say last 16 is par for them, so they have put themselves in a great position to go at least one round further. As always you need a bit of luck from the draw.

Its fair to say its above par. When that group was announced, loads said spurs wouldnt qualify. Now, they are in the last 16 4 games in!

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its clearly one of their best results ever. Real havent lost a champions league qualifier in 6 years. 

Real have dropped points in qualifiers though. I think they won the champion league from a second place group finish.

Beating them in a knockout match is a different animal. Although Spurs will be more confident they can take a big scalp now.