Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

His club management career has hardly been glittering, I have a theory that a lot of managers have one job where the mixture of right club, right time, right players all align and they do brilliantly before going on the average everywhere else. I suspect Wales might be Coleman's job.

Very good point. Moyes at Everton being the prime example. Granted he never won anything but considering the (lack of) budget he had he did a very good. Absolute shite everywhere else he's been.

EDIT: Since Everton. Did alright at PNE.

Edited by DareToDibble

From football 365 on liverpool

'

'Let’s play a game. You have £35m. You actually have more than that, but are saving it for that one special central defender who will cost almost double that price. But you have £35m to spend right now.

'Do you buy:

'a) A goalkeeper. Neither the goalkeeper you inherited nor the one you bought are fit for purpose, and are comfortably the worst in the top six. Three sides above you (Tottenham, Manchester United and Manchester City) have demonstrated just how a reliable goalkeeper can breathe confidence into the defenders in front of him.

'b) A right-back. Your first-choice right-back suffered an injury in May that would keep him out for seven months. You didn’t actually tell anyone about it until the start of the season when he was left out of your Champions League squad. Instead, you will rely on an 18-year-old or a 20-year-old central defender.

'c) A centre-back. Of course you want to wait for Mr Right rather than Mr Right Now, but this is still a crucial season. Furthermore, it would hardly be a disaster to have two new central defenders by January, given than three of your current four are the 20-year-old you might play at right-back, a struggling central defender who has to have painkillers to get through matches and Ragnar Klavan.

'd) A player with no set position, who wants to be a central defender but you consider to be a wide attacking player. He’s available for a free in nine months and will only ever be backup in whichever position you eventually agree is his best.

'If you chose d) then congratulations, you are Jurgen Klopp. Enjoy all the pressure and flak that is coming your way.'

Edited by zahidf

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

'd) A player with no set position, who wants to be a central defender but you consider to be a wide attacking player. He’s available for a free in nine months and will only ever be backup in whichever position you eventually agree is his best.

'

Typo I assume, or could LFC have a defender they desire? ;) 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Very good point. Moyes at Everton being the prime example. Granted he never won anything but considering the (lack of) budget he had he did a very good. Absolute shite everywhere else he's been.

EDIT: Since Everton. Did alright at PNE.

Averaged 7th position with 6th-8th highest wage budget in the league during his time in charge. Also lots of £8-12m signings at a time when the bottom half of the table had record signings ~ £6m.

He did about right for the budget. They just got some headline-grabbing results and a 4th place finish that perpetuated a myth they were overachieving.

I wonder how much Steve Walsh will be held responsible?

Can I be the first to post:

Q: What do Ronald Koeman and the Titanic have in common?

A: They both should of stayed at Southampton.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Interview Question #1:

You are given a £140m transfer budget through a mixture of outside investment and selling your best (and only) striker. How many attacking midfielders do you buy?

But are you directing that at Koeman? Or at Walsh and Kenwright...?

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I guess, but if your looking at huge investment, why not wait until the summer when there will be a far greater pool of players and managers available.

They'll also be a far greater pool of potential employers, and the possibility of being in the championship by then?

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Looking at Burnley style of play and the Everton squad, I don't see how Dyche would be a good fit.

I'm not 100% sure how he plays. The defence sadly picks itself unless you go into the U23's. Up front one striker in Niasse who Koeman wanted rid of.

If you then look at the midfield from defensive to false 9 who Koeman has used there is any sort of system in there you could want:

Vlasic, Schneiderlin, Barkley, Aaron Lennon, James McCarthy, Bolassie, Gueye, Sigurdsson, Klassen, Besic, Davis, Lookman, Mirrallas, Sandro, Rooney, Calvert Lewin.

Probably should of held onto Barry too..

Edited by lost

20 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

But are you directing that at Koeman? Or at Walsh and Kenwright...?

It's obviously a group decision, but Koeman should know his squad best. He takes responsibility for ensuring that it's properly balanced. He should be the guy saying "do we really need to be spending £50m on Sigurrdsson when we have no strikers?"

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He takes responsibility for ensuring that it's properly balanced.

Does he? 

I suspect if he wasn't tied into silence by way of severance pay his biggest defence will be he wasn't given what he requested by way of Walsh/Kenwright. 

Walsh has had 3 windows. How successful do we think he's been? 

Edited by TheGayTent

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's obviously a group decision, but Koeman should know his squad best. He takes responsibility for ensuring that it's properly balanced. He should be the guy saying "do we really need to be spending £50m on Sigurrdsson when we have no strikers?"

I disagree, that may be the traditional British model, but things have changed. A manager is now seen as a 2 year appointment, therefore will only have so much influence