Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Lovren trying to play offside from a throw in. Taxi!

TBF to Loveren, he is playing injured because liverpool have no other choice. The Croatian takes painkillers to get him through each match, and has been sent home from international duty because he is not considered fit enough to play.

21 hours ago, The Nal said:

Utd were playing great and playing great ball until the Liverpool match. I wonder did Joses tactics stop the seasons momentum. That swagger isn't there. 

Reckon its anything to do with Jose telling them to change it up for certain teams potentially impacting their confidence? As he is basically saying to them I dont trust you to go out there and play your game against the likes of a Liverpool (who aint great shakes), so shut up shop, dont play your way and try eek out a result. Id have to think that can be a blow to the collective confidence. 

9 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Reckon its anything to do with Jose telling them to change it up for certain teams potentially impacting their confidence? As he is basically saying to them I dont trust you to go out there and play your game against the likes of a Liverpool (who aint great shakes), so shut up shop, dont play your way and try eek out a result. Id have to think that can be a blow to the collective confidence. 

Quite possibly yeah. He should've just let the horses run free or whatever he said earlier in the season. Baillys back now though which is good. Far better team with him in it. Smalling and Jones can't pass. Spurs look great though. Looking forward to/dreading the match on Saturday.

Pressure on Klopp now. 78 games in and has less points (137) than Rafa (144) or Bren (148) did. 2 wins in 10 games, against Leicester and Maribor, conceded 18. Hes in the descent to appearing foolish now. "Not 500 miles off City". Citys goal diff is +28. Liverpools in -2. And they're 12 points behind after 9 games. Theres only so long the quirky German shtick will last. If he was from Northern Ireland he would be under huge pressure now.

17 hours ago, lost said:

Yup despite appreciating what he did for the club and thinking he was hard done by at Man U and Sunderland its a no from me. Didn't really work with Howard Kendall going back and the club should be looking forward. Thing is I haven't a clue who I'd prefer or more importantly who would come.

My mate has said he would like Chris Coleman. Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

His club management career has hardly been glittering, I have a theory that a lot of managers have one job where the mixture of right club, right time, right players all align and they do brilliantly before going on the average everywhere else. I suspect Wales might be Coleman's job.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I suspect Wales might be Coleman's job.

I know exactly what you mean, but as he's (over)achieved high with them he probably needs to get out before he tarnishes it.

They say that every political career ends in failure, and it's about the same in footie for managers who stay too long in the same position (fergie excepted).

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

His club management career has hardly been glittering, I have a theory that a lot of managers have one job where the mixture of right club, right time, right players all align and they do brilliantly before going on the average everywhere else. I suspect Wales might be Coleman's job.

I think he was pretty decent at Fulham. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Pressure on Klopp now. 

His own fault. Terrible transfer summer window from him apart from Salah. Its obvious to everyone that he needs to sort out that defense (after yesterday Loverns ripe for the knacker yard). Unearthing a better keeper would be nice too obviously. Yet he made a move for the Ox? Hmmmmmmmmm. 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I think it must be demoralising for good players to be asked to play within themselves.

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think being a successful manager is a lot down to luck. I have no doubt there are managers in the non league who could win premiership, la liga titles with the right club, or course they won't get the opportunity.

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know exactly what you mean, but as he's (over)achieved high with them he probably needs to get out before he tarnishes it.

They say that every political career ends in failure, and it's about the same in footie for managers who stay too long in the same position (fergie excepted).

I agree, now is the right time to get out. If he stays and doesn't get Wales to the next euros, his stock will plummet.

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

His own fault. Terrible transfer summer window from him apart from Salah. Its obvious to everyone that he needs to sort out that defense (after yesterday Loverns ripe for the knacker yard). Unearthing a better keeper would be nice too obviously. Yet he made a move for the Ox? Hmmmmmmmmm. 

Is klopp in sole control of transfers? It's madness that they didn't have a plan B if they couldn't get vvd.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is klopp in sole control of transfers? It's madness that they didn't have a plan B if they couldn't get vvd.

Stefan de Vrij, Koubailly, Jonny Evans, Ben Gibson, Harry Maguire, Michael Keane...

All available after the VVD deal collapsed. Surely any of them would have been better than what they currently have?

Alot are saying unsworth for the Everton job after the job he's done with the 23's. Problem is being a modern manager seems to be as much as being a name to attract players as much as being a top coach.

Coleman would be ok I suppose

Edited by lost

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Harry Maguire

I'm a fan of Harry Maguire. Leicester done well getting him in and the price was reasonable.

If you're a team with a shaky defence and money to spend, you've got to be willing to invest £17 million in a lad who is available, doing well and still has his best years ahead of him. He is an absolute unit but he can really play. Two years time and the top teams could be paying upwards of double for him.

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'm a fan of Harry Maguire. Leicester done well getting him in and the price was reasonable.

If you're a team with a shaky defence and money to spend, you've got to be willing to invest £17 million in a lad who is available, doing well and still has his best years ahead of him. He is an absolute unit but he can really play. Two years time and the top teams could be paying upwards of double for him.

That's best case scenario. However for every Harry Maguire type who joins the big club and succeeds, there is another who fails.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He did a decent enough job, but I don't know. There's something about him that doesn't make me think "top class manager".

I probably agree with you. But then Everton aren't a top class club (anymore/yet - delete as appropriate) so maybe the two fit quite nicely....?

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That's best case scenario. However for every Harry Maguire type who joins the big club and succeeds, there is another who fails.

Before the season Michael Keane was definitely more highly rated than Maguire but has had a dreadful season so far. And when he left Southampton, Lovren was one of those players who was really highly rated in the prem.