Football 17/18

TheGayTent

47 minutes ago, dondo said:

Strachan has quit/left by mutual consent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41598733 

What's the expectation for an incoming Scotland manager. To me with the squad of players they have, it should be knocking on the door for Euro qualification. I don't really see not making the World Cup play offs as underperformance, I don't see Scotland as being in the top 20 nations in Europe.

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What's the expectation for an incoming Scotland manager. To me with the squad of players they have, it should be knocking on the door for Euro qualification. I don't really see not making the World Cup play offs as underperformance, I don't see Scotland as being in the top 20 nations in Europe.

Neither do I. I think the results Strachan got with the squad at his disposal were pretty respectable: particularly in the second half of the campaign.

I would certainly have been happy to let him stay on for a bit.

Can't think of anyone who'd be likely to do a better job of those who would realistically be interested.

Gutted for Wales. After the humility and realism shown following the Euros they definitely deserved a place. Still, when the World Cup expands to include a quarter of the nations in the world they'll have a better chance.

Saying that Ireland don't really deserve a place, dreadful football. Hopefully they won't get past the playoffs and ruin three games in the actual tournament.

England are joyless and charmless with no soul or character. Unfortunately they will ruin at least three games in the tournament. At least the Welsh have character.

Australia beating Syria was depressing, mainly because they are another tedious footballing nation. Tim Cahill's sponsored goal celebration was a new low.

Given their previous results and performances the US didn't deserve to go through but what a set of events that transpired to put them out. Good line from the Guardian football podcast - something like FIFA have spent £73million on conferences in the last two years, yet it only would have cost £64million to install goalline technology in every country in the world. Nice one FIFA.

13 hours ago, LJS said:

Neither do I. I think the results Strachan got with the squad at his disposal were pretty respectable: particularly in the second half of the campaign.

I would certainly have been happy to let him stay on for a bit.

Can't think of anyone who'd be likely to do a better job of those who would realistically be interested.

The trouble with Strachan is that he's inconsistent; yes they did well in their last few games but I imagine there's no faith or confidence that those performances will continue and that there's far more chance that at the start of the next qualifying campaign they'll fall back into the disorganised unfocused mess that they were at the start of this one.

While a nation like Scotland will have fairly low expectations regarding winning things I imagine what their FA want to see is consistency and a planned or focused approach to what they do that they can use to build on. They never got that with Strachan, however as you say who is out there that is willing and able to do so? Worst case is that they take the "well he did well with limited resources at Everton" approach and ignore everything Moyes has done since, another option that I imagine is very tempting is to try and copy Northern Ireland and find an inspirational option from within the current national pool, although that's easier said than done. I imagine Derek McInnes will be targeted due to Aberdeen's relatively good achievements over the last three years.

1 hour ago, mrtourette said:

Gutted for Wales. After the humility and realism shown following the Euros they definitely deserved a place. 

Should have won more games then. A good Euros doesn't give you a free pass for future tournaments. Simple as that.

Saying that Ireland don't really deserve a place, dreadful football.

Finishing 2nd in the group suggests otherwise. Again, would be interested to know how you work out who deserves a spot.

England are joyless and charmless with no soul or character. Unfortunately they will ruin at least three games in the tournament. At least the Welsh have character.

Yet all that character will be sat at home watching it on the TV while England play in the World Cup, again.

Edited by jyoung

2 hours ago, mrtourette said:

Given their previous results and performances the US didn't deserve to go through but what a set of events that transpired to put them out. Good line from the Guardian football podcast - something like FIFA have spent £73million on conferences in the last two years, yet it only would have cost £64million to install goalline technology in every country in the world. Nice one FIFA.

Did you hear the story about the iceland manager always doing pre match meeting with the fans talking about the game. Apparently there is a bond of trust and nothing gets leaked about the discussion, fans dont use phones etc. Amazing this can happen in the modern game.

The trouble with Strachan is that he's inconsistent; yes they did well in their last few games but I imagine there's no faith or confidence that those performances will continue and that there's far more chance that at the start of the next qualifying campaign they'll fall back into the disorganised unfocused mess that they were at the start of this one.

While a nation like Scotland will have fairly low expectations regarding winning things I imagine what their FA want to see is consistency and a planned or focused approach to what they do that they can use to build on. They never got that with Strachan, however as you say who is out there that is willing and able to do so? Worst case is that they take the "well he did well with limited resources at Everton" approach and ignore everything Moyes has done since, another option that I imagine is very tempting is to try and copy Northern Ireland and find an inspirational option from within the current national pool, although that's easier said than done. I imagine Derek McInnes will be targeted due to Aberdeen's relatively good achievements over the last three years.

I think when your a team like Scotland or Wales inconsistency will always be an issue. Your praying to get the first 11 on the pitch, but injuries and suspensions can leave your really exposed. The options I have heard mentioned are Moyes and Malky, I would take Strachan above both.

43 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Should have won more games then. A good Euros doesn't give you a free pass for future tournaments. Simple as that.

The reality is that outside the top 10 European teams, the next 20 are pretty similar. Some of the teams who go through are not really more (or less) deserving than those who go through, however there  needs to be a way to whittle the teams down. 

44 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Finishing 2nd in the group suggests otherwise. Again, would be interested to know how you work out who deserves a spot.

To me its not a case of deserving, the way Ireland play is completely up to them. However as a neutral I dont want to see Ireland in the world cup as I dont enjoy their football.

44 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yet all that character will be sat at home watching it on the TV while England play in the World Cup, again.

England have a population of 50 million and Wales 3 million, I dont see this trend ending any time soon.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

England have a population of 50 million

Of which most are qualified to play for Wales through their great uncle's cousin's pet rabbit no? 

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I dont see this trend ending any time soon.

Let's hope not! 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

To me its not a case of deserving, the way Ireland play is completely up to them. However as a neutral I dont want to see Ireland in the world cup as I dont enjoy their football.

Agreed mate. Would much rather watch Wales at the World Cup than I would ROI but unfortunately for the Welsh, they didn't do as well so... We'll all just have to watch the teams who did / do qualify. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

:lol:

Careful, keep on like that and you'll get a response that includes the words 'arrogant' and 'English'. 

Couldn't help but take the bait. I'm well aware of the expectations and the reality etc but no point pussy footing around. 

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Agreed mate. Would much rather watch Wales at the World Cup than I would ROI but unfortunately for the Welsh, they didn't do as well so... We'll all just have to watch the teams who did / do qualify. 

Wales got less points and points is how the separate the teams. I would argue that in a short league there is no guarantee that a team who finishes above another has played better, is more deserving etc. There are many factors such as fortune and referee decisions that don't effect all teams equally. However it's the best system we have

The idea of nations "deserving" a place due to aesthetics is utter bollocks. Ireland amassed more points than Wales, that's all that matters. Where was Wales' "character" when they took one point from two games against Ireland? Or when they were drawing with the likes of Austria and Georgia?

Syria would have been a great story but ultimately they fell short (Australia aren't guaranteed a spot yet it must be noted).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The idea of nations "deserving" a place due to aesthetics is utter bollocks. Ireland amassed more points than Wales, that's all that matters. Where was Wales' "character" when they took one point from two games against Ireland? Or when they were drawing with the likes of Austria and Georgia?

Syria would have been a great story but ultimately they fell short (Australia aren't guaranteed a spot yet it must be noted).

I have to say I don't think wales good and bad results are down to fluctuating character. Wales didn't get better results in their group due to limitations in their squad. When your relying on championship players and inexperienced kids to fill in the gaps, you are always going to have limitations.

In the Euros the luck went our way, in the qualification it hasn't, that's just football.

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have to say I don't think wales good and bad results are down to fluctuating character. Wales didn't get better results in their group due to limitations in their squad. When your relying on championship players and inexperienced kids to fill in the gaps, you are always going to have limitations.

In the Euros the luck went our way, in the qualification it hasn't, that's just football.

I don't think character is an issue either, I just think it's a pointless word in this context. Not a million miles away from those idiots who phone Talksport claiming Arry should get the England job because he's got passhun!

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Right so opinions please:

should I stay up tonight to watch the Liverpool/United game - I'm concerned it's going to be a 0-0 bore draw

Think if Liverpool score an early goal it could be interesting, otherwise Mou will settle for s draw, maybe nicking a goal. Everyone knows the drill by now.

21 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

No.

I was swaying towards watching it, I've got to say. Not because I think it will be a good game but because  the early Saturday game is the easiest live game for me to watch at the weekends. Its either that or get up at 5:30am on Sunday for the Arsenal game. 

Which now I've said it actually sounds possibly better.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Might be a good game to fall asleep if you're struggling to drop off. 

Early kick off, back from international break and journeys, recent history of fixture points to you being right.

Im going 2-2 classic. Liverpool need to score first to win I reckon.

We’re at home so can catch this in the pub first :-)