Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, eFestivals said:

corrected for you.

good job for the Moaniho that Phil Jones has turned from being a plank.

Bit of a bonus for Jose that jones picking up a bit of fitness, only let in 2 goals this season so hopefully that will continue.

big test when we start playing the big teams though. 

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They were. Utd still won though. Worked their tits off defensively. Very Fergie as JY said. Utd would've drawn that game last year.  

This is the difference - winning games the games that they could only draw last year. That is the reason they are now title contenders. The fixtures haven't thrown up the toughest start but it's been a fantastic opportunity to create some good form. They're keeping clean sheets and winning games, that momentum is invaluable.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

God, don't look to us for entertainment. I confidently predict tonight's match will be the dictionary definition of "routine" for Arsenal.

The entertainment often comes from Arsenal making a hash of it, so I'm hoping for more of that.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Worked their tits off defensively. Jones was outstanding.

corrected for you.

Or better put as "parked the bus". Almost always 11 men behind the ball.

Against Soton. :lol:

You had Shane fucking Long all on his lonesome against you. I mean, he's OK, and i don't mean to be rude to him, but he's hardly a shit-hot striker. 

4 hours ago, jyoung said:

Huddersfield defence deserves a special shout out. Not having much luck finding the net but second best in the league in terms of goals conceded. Mad.

Was it you who told me that I was crazy saying the Huddersfield had the defense and style most capable of avoiding conceding too many in the PL of the promoted clubs?

9 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Was it you who told me that I was crazy saying the Huddersfield had the defense and style most capable of avoiding conceding too many in the PL of the promoted clubs?

Yeah mate 100% haha. If we could turn back time, I'd say the same! Their stats last year said it all. That said, I was obviously barking up the wrong tree. How you predicted it, I don't know?! Have another look in that crystal ball and let me know how long it continues will you! I'm not sure how long it will last but who cares, credit where credit is due, that's unbelievable form. Anyway, I'll be off now to tuck into my lunch. 

humble-pie-final-dribbble.png

Edited by jyoung

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

corrected for you.

Or better put as "parked the bus". Almost always 11 men behind the ball.

Against Soton. :lol:

You had Shane fucking Long all on his lonesome against you. I mean, he's OK, and i don't mean to be rude to him, but he's hardly a shit-hot striker. 

Just a shame liverpool can not get a half decent defender from the hospital bed. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Yeah mate 100% haha. If we could turn back time, I'd say the same! Their stats last year said it all. That said, I was obviously barking up the wrong tree. How you predicted it, I don't know?! Have another look in that crystal ball and let me know how long it continues will you! I'm not sure how long it will last but who cares, credit where credit is due, that's unbelievable form. Anyway, I'll be off now to tuck into my lunch. 

humble-pie-final-dribbble.png

As a geordie I watched a lot of Championship games last season, it was a prediction based on their play, and the fact that they had one of the highest proportion of goals conceded to set pieces in the league. They were less likely to get outmuscled at corners as much this season, and their shape and pressing game doesn't leave them as vulnerable to counterattacks when they lose the ball. They've also got pace in their defense which is usually one the vulnerabilities of championship defenders coming up.

Look at their late October to end of November fixture list for when it'll break. Man U, Liverpool, WBA, Bournemouth, Citeh, Arsenal as a run of 6. Gotta predict at least one spanking amidst that.

Sticking on promoted clubs, I'm gutted about the game yesterday, but I'm still backing Brighton to go down. We could if we fail to sort out our finishing (which might involve a January purchase).

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I think the difference may be that Utd are winning games which they may not deserve to do so this year but last year they drew games they most likely deserved to win. Subtly different from above but significant

I think Lukaku is a big difference as well. For all the talk about him not scoring against the top teams, looking at last season Man Utd were missing a player who could score against the average ones.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Sticking on promoted clubs, I'm gutted about the game yesterday, but I'm still backing Brighton to go down. We could if we fail to sort out our finishing (which might involve a January purchase).

I drifted in and out of that game, but thought Newcastle looked a better team than Brighton in the bits that I saw. However Im sure Brighton look at Newcastle at home as one of those games that they have to win, so its job done for them. I just don't see Brighton scoring enough goals to stay in the league.

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i tuned into a stream of City vs Palace, but 2 minutes in the stream switched to the Soton game.

I was mostly busy with something else so let it run.

That old chestnut.

have only managed to catch the second half of this Arsenal game, from what I've seen it's been very comfortable. I'm assuming by all your comments it was anything but in the first half

36 minutes ago, mjsell said:

That old chestnut.

have only managed to catch the second half of this Arsenal game, from what I've seen it's been very comfortable. I'm assuming by all your comments it was anything but in the first half

First half we played really well and should have scored at least one and had a pen. The HT break completely killed us, we lost all our momentum and Arsenal composed themselves and took control back. We couldn't get near them second half.

And of course Madley gave them a penalty.