Football 17/18

TheGayTent

New UEFA Nations League tournament confirmed. The SFA had already confirmed the home nations ( minus England ) games will happen next season but that might get binned when this kicks in. Got a whiff of Champs League about it with the top Countries playing each other. That will be where the money / tv will go.

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=2501736.html

Daily mail reporting Amazon is going to bid for the premiership TV rights from 2019 when the auction is held later this year. If we start getting  the amazons, netflix and facebooks bidding the money now could start to appear pretty small.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Daily mail reporting Amazon is going to bid for the premiership TV rights from 2019 when the auction is held later this year. If we start getting  the amazons, netflix and facebooks bidding the money now could start to appear pretty small.

there's been rumours floating around for a while that one or more of those would be in for the footie - cos much like festivals, they're only as good as their last outing, and the quality of what they offer can disappear in a flash.

Essentially they'd be copying the Sky model, of getting a "must have" thing that ensures them customers .... while it's probably the case that the likes of Sky has had its day.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Costa agreed a move to Atletico - didn't see that one coming.

Will go down as one of our greatest strikers. A nightmare for opponents and at times, for us as well. There was never a dull moment but you never doubted his commitment on the pitch. 

6 hours ago, lost said:

Sky are a piss poor company so this good news. Personally I think BT do a decent job at broadcasting the football at a reasonable (ish) price so wouldn't mind them keeping the TV rights. I've always rated Amazon in terms of customer service so I think they would do a good job if they did get the rights. 

5 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

No way in hell will you see Sky not getting some package. You will be stuck with them in some shape or form. 

I agree that it's do or die for Sky but the days are gone when Murdoch had the deepest pockets and the biggest business incentive to be the winner.

Sky might get some of the next packages but somewhere down the line they're going to lose out - and then, very likely, Sky's days are numbered (fingers crossed!).

Because I've been aware for a while that others are likely to whip the rug from under Sky's business model, there's a part of me which is hoping Murdoch gets to buy Sky outright, cos I can see that being another MySpace for him, and the more that happens to bring Murdoch down the better.

But i'm also aware that Murdoch isn't daft and will know this himself, so I've no doubt he has a plan - and that plan is likely to be about bringing the BBC down, or taking over some of its roles with licence fee money, or something like that. He'll want to get his hooks properly in somewhere.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Agreed. Though he's 86 so things will change once his power wanes - which is inevitable in the near future, even for the mega rich :)

yep - which'll make it harder to sustain under kiddo, I reckon. I don't doubt he'll wield plenty of power as a 'media mogul' but I can't see him getting close to his old man.

A round up of thoughts from the weekend.

• Man City are taking the piss. We're in for a tough game against them this weekend.
  • A much needed three points for Brighton. Hope they do well and stay up. Proper community club.
  • United finally showing the sort of form we used to see with Fergie. Mourinho will do whatever it takes this season to stay at the top.
  • Huddersfield defence deserves a special shout out. Not having much luck finding the net but second best in the league in terms of goals conceded. Mad.
  • Players seem to like playing for Marco Silva. Okay City spanked them last week and Hull were relegated last term but the gaffer seems to know what he's doing.
  • Leicester Liverpool game was an absolute cracker! Literally can't even be bothered to slate the reds defence anymore, if they're gonna outscore the opponent, you can't complain.
  • Harry Kane looks decent. He's as good as any out and out striker there is. Here's to hoping we get through the final qualifying matches and he takes this form into the World Cup. 
  • Alvaro Morata taking to England like a duck to water. As expected. Not sure how many goals and complete performances it will take for the media to stop saying we'll miss Costa's aggression. Big games coming up against Atletico Madrid and Man City.
  • A week to forget for Wayne Rooney.

Now over to you WBA!

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

corrected for you.

good job for the Moaniho that Phil Jones has turned from being a plank.

Haha you're not wrong, my friend! For a minute I fooled myself into thinking "Wow the Manc derbies this year will be insane!" before remembering Mourinho has that special bus* tactic reserved for those games.

*Literally never made the bus claim before seeing as we were always on the receiving end of it but oh well what comes around goes around

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Only game so far Mourinho has done that. So far 4-0, 4-0, 2-0, 2-2, 3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 1-0. And apart from half the game yesterday, very attacking football.  

Routine Mourinho. It's generally speaking just the 'big games' where he changes the tactics to concentrate more on defence (sounds weird when they've kept many clean sheets already I know) and I think rightly so against a team like City. 

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Dortmund vs Real Madrid and PSG vs Bayern and Atletico vs Chelsea this week. Tasty. 

Glorious. 

Edited by jyoung