Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you sure?

I've no idea what the German population of London is, but i suspect it's of significant size.

Possibly, but the Cologne supporting minority of the German population of London will no doubt be pretty tiny. 

Cologne to the Emirates is not much over 4hrs by train. 

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I suspect with the way social media works, their place of origin (other than Germany) means a bit less than it would have done (say) ten years ago.

Social media means there's more Cologne supporters living in London now than there was 10 years ago? 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope.

The way ex-pats mix via social media is likely to drag in Germans who aren't from Cologne to join the ones that are.

A minuscule number relatively speaking, that's just not the way football works, especially in German culture, it's too tribal. 

7 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

A minuscule number relatively speaking, that's just not the way football works, especially in German culture, it's too tribal. 

It might be minuscule - I've got no way of judging it - tho I do think it'll be in there to some extent.

And, as much as anything because there's more than one 'tribal' that can be in play here.

11 hours ago, jyoung said:

Word is a lot of them signed up for Arsenal memberships, bought tickets in the home section, turned up, got rejected, bought Arsenal shirts and were allowed to enter. That's all from Twitter though so how reliable it is I don't know. The videos of the fans singing were great, a fantastic show of support. However I did see videos of them marching through London and a couple of scuffles and fights which is always sour to see. Also saw videos of the fans pushing down railings outside the stadium in what looked like an attempt to force entry. Now if that is the case, thats fucking disgusting and they should be punished. As always, I'm sure it's a minority but still. We can't have that.

This is fairly similar to what I heard from a mate that was at the game. He seems to think that the major issue was koln fans that had got seats outside of the away section trying to get themselves into said away section prior to the game.

This could be a continuous issue for us in Europa. The demand for tickets isn't there, and all you need is an Arsenal red membership to access the ticket exchange (tickets for Europa might even be making it to public sale as well)

18 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Spot on. 

Arsenal, unlike their own fans and the emirates touts, were totally unprepared for the mobilisation of fans from Germany who saw this game as a huge celebration on their return to European football.

Easy access as you pointed out, less than 20 quid and no big uptake on tickets from the home team.

After coming over, their fans would have sold their granny to get in.

Think the only real "trouble" was caused by them wanting to move when already in the stadium to join the bulk of their mates in the away end.

Also relatively cheap and easy to register for tickets. 

Did Arsenal not notice a swell in new members ?

Perhaps they did but were happy to cash in. Like some of their fans.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did you watch it yesterday?

Yeah - all of it unfortunately.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just got back from hols so didn't see any of it, but I heard both sides were just terrible.

Pulis has your players drilled to time waste from minute one against West Ham at home? I'm not surprised you choose to holiday during the football season. 

19 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Up to 4th for the Toon. In crisis according to the media just two weeks ago.

After losing to Spurs when we had 10 men, and a narrow defeat to a Huddersfield side that have been very impressive so far.

My worry 2 weeks ago was lack of goals, and still is. We could've been punished by Stoke for not converting chances.

Watching MOTD last night you'd swear Arsenal wiped the floor with Chelsea the way they finished the show. Saying how all credit should go to Arsenal and "tonight is about them".

They drew. Granted they normally lose to other members of the Top 6 but c'mon. Basically celebrating the fact they got a draw and didn't get smashed? 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Watching MOTD last night you'd swear Arsenal wiped the floor with Chelsea the way they finished the show. Saying how all credit should go to Arsenal and "tonight is about them".

They drew. Granted they normally lose to other members of the Top 6 but c'mon. Basically celebrating the fact they got a draw and didn't get smashed? 

In fairness they're celebrating a huge improvement in performance compared to the last time they played someone good. Most sides would celebrate a point away at the champions.

I stayed up last night to watch the Arsenal game over here. Have to say I wasn't expecting to last the whole game as I was fearful of us falling to pieces again and that's never fun to watch, not least at 2am. Considering it was a goalless draw, I am still glad I did stay up - thought it was a decent game of football. And it was nice seeing Arsenal do alright in a big game, just wish Ozil was injured every big game now. 

48 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah. I'm probably a bit biased as a Chelsea fan but I feel this way too. On a shit streak or not, it's Arsenal and it's Chelsea. Two teams with top quality players.

It's not like Celtic going away to Barcelona and ending the game 0-0 so as far as I'm concerned the media gushing is embarrassing. It just goes to show, if you read the papers = one week you're in 'crisis' and the next you're lauded. Fickle game but oh well.

Anyway, I'm never gonna be distraught if we draw against Arsenal. Likewise I wouldn't go mad for it. It's a decent result, now on to the next one.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

To be fair over the season the media has been very hard on then compared to teams like Spurs who have done no better 

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Anyway, I'm never gonna be distraught if we draw against Arsenal. Likewise I wouldn't go mad for it. It's a decent result, now on to the next one.

I don't think any Arsenal fans have gone 'mad' for the draw. It was a great result though considering we have been awful so far this season and we always struggle against you guys at Stamford Bridge. It's also encouraging that we played well as well.

I fully expect us to go on a little run now and climb up the table. We've had the usual crisis at the start of the season and we will almost definitely have the usual crisis after christmas. We are perfectly set up for a typical Arsenal season.