Football 17/18

TheGayTent

37 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

There is no way it will be reduced but I guess the argument is that there we 2 very similar challenges this year that didn't result in red cards?

It's been a common argument from all the ex-strikers in the media defending Mane, but it's irrelevant. Just because someone didn't get punished correctly doesn't mean the next person to do so should get let off or treated leniency.

22 hours ago, lost said:

I think its coming to be honest. 

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/united-states/story/2707094/court-settlement-proposes-ban-for-heading-the-ball

One of the podcasts I listen to talks about this and the new research is basically even small blows to the head like this when you are younger leads to certain forms of brain damage 

Heading the ball seems extreme, but football organisations definitely need a better attitude towards concussion and head injuries. It absolutely needs to happen. Just because football isn't considered as dangerous as rugby or American football doesn't mean the dangers aren't real. Was it two or three years ago that Hugo Lloris got concussed and was sent back on as soon as he could stand, visibly still affected? And the excuse was "we asked him and he said he was alright to play on". How the hell is someone suffering from concussion supposed to make an informed decision about that? Football needs to take responsibility for this sort of injury.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Mane's appeal has been rejected.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/11/liverpool-appeal-length-mane-ban-red-card

As I said, worth a try cos it was unlikely to be increased due to a frivolous appeal. And it wasn't.

To me, it was a fair red. He didn't mean it, but it was dangerous.

Agreed.

Haven't seen the highlights but sounds like Spurs got lucky last night with two Dortmund goals wrongly disallowed for offside? Still, massive result for them and puts them in a strong position.

I mentioned the Reds defending on here previously, Klopp reckons new signings wouldn't solve their problems. Well from watching the last two games, I beg to differ. That said, they should have won regardless of Lovren's shit show. 

Looking forward to the weekend now, some good games!

7 hours ago, edwardjc14 said:

What a brilliant first lot of games in the champions league 

Really enjoyed them too..

The europa on the other hand.. I put Everton 9th in our league predictions as I thought Baines, Jagielka and Williams were all past it and Koeman didn't replace Lukaku either. He's instead signed 3 number 10's (Rooney, Sandro and sigurdsson) all of whom are worse than what he already had in Barkley who he's alienated.

Haven't seen anything to change my mind, I'm really dreading the derby as the one thing that defence can not cope with is pace.

Edited by lost

7 hours ago, edwardjc14 said:

What a brilliant first lot of games in the champions league 

I'm not convinced, it was mainly just a load of richer teams comfortably beating poorer ones. Last season the group stage managed to eliminate only one (spurs) of the top 6 richest teams and I expect nothing different this time.

Edited by pink_triangle

Koeman now saying he didn't prepare the team properly for Euro football.. stuff like that could get him in trouble.

Can maybe look at the shit draw with Atalanta finishing above both Milan teams last season and Semi-finalist Lyon but saying signing sigurdsson is the difference between 6th a champs league may come back to haunt him.

Edited by lost

Word is a lot of them signed up for Arsenal memberships, bought tickets in the home section, turned up, got rejected, bought Arsenal shirts and were allowed to enter. That's all from Twitter though so how reliable it is I don't know. The videos of the fans singing were great, a fantastic show of support. However I did see videos of them marching through London and a couple of scuffles and fights which is always sour to see. Also saw videos of the fans pushing down railings outside the stadium in what looked like an attempt to force entry. Now if that is the case, thats fucking disgusting and they should be punished. As always, I'm sure it's a minority but still. We can't have that.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Word is a lot of them signed up for Arsenal memberships, bought tickets in the home section, turned up, got rejected, bought Arsenal shirts and were allowed to enter. That's all from Twitter though so how reliable it is I don't know. The videos of the fans singing were great, a fantastic show of support. However I did see videos of them marching through London and a couple of scuffles and fights which is always sour to see. Also saw videos of the fans pushing down railings outside the stadium in what looked like an attempt to force entry. Now if that is the case, thats fucking disgusting and they should be punished. As always, I'm sure it's a minority but still. We can't have that.

That is a lot of loaded Koln fans. They would have brought plane tickets, match tickets and a disgustingly overpriced shirt. Imagine spending that much just to one football game.

When I went to Arsenal vs Besiktas (CL qualifiers) a few years ago there was a whole group of 'disguised' Besiktas fans. They revealed their Besiktas shirts about 30mins into the game and it kicked off a bit. Their fans were mad, great atmosphere but also slightly scary. I've never seen anything like it at the Emirates. When we scored, the noise was unreal. I wish it wouldn't take nutty opposition fans to get us Arsenal fans to sing.

7 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

That is a lot of loaded Koln fans. They would have brought plane tickets, match tickets and a disgustingly overpriced shirt. Imagine spending that much just to one football game.

Certainly seems mad. I've seen a couple of murmurings that some season ticket holders sold their own seats to the Koln lot. Oh dear.