Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

f I were Evans i wouldn't care about the price, i'd be staying. Saw a clip this morning of last night's Celtic match. Scott Sinclair, remember him?

I think it your Evans at 29 you have to make the move as its the last chance to play for a big team. If he ends up like Sinclair at Celtic in a couple of years, he will still be playing in the champions league and making more money than any of us,

8 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I don't really get the whole 'have to let a player go once their head's been turned' approach. How would it benefit Coutinho now to let his game drop off or go on strike? It seems to be something that's mostly said by ex-players who go on to say something about no-one being able to turn down Barca.

I think most Liverpool fans were expecting him to go next year, but clubs don't have to same need to sell as before so we might see more players seeing out more of their massive contracts.

If Coutinho spends the next year sulking he probably misses the world cup. While starring for Barca would undoubtedly do his chances of playing a more significant role in the world cup a boost, not playing would hamper his chances far more. 

4 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I don't really get the whole 'have to let a player go once their head's been turned' approach. How would it benefit Coutinho now to let his game drop off or go on strike? It seems to be something that's mostly said by ex-players who go on to say something about no-one being able to turn down Barca.

It's a tactic as old as time, and not just in football - make yourself (or more commonly your agent) an increasing pain in the arse but make it known to your intended destination not to worry as you're only doing it to force a move, and hope those at your current employers get fed up with the 'distraction'. The fact that players and agents will be in constant communication with the intended destination makes it easier to manipulate the situation. It's just a massive game of chicken,  Dmitiri Payet last season was a good example. He got what he wanted, West ham had to row back on comments made about selling him and at what price, lost their best player and pissed what money they got for him up the wall. Of course it's easier to do with weak and desperate owners and managers, a smart player/agent will recognise when it's not going to work before kicking up a stink. I suspect that either Coutinho either doesn't really want to go or he and his agent know that Liverpool won't sell him, so will go down the 'we'll build up goodwill this season we'll be off next season' approach.

17 minutes ago, Dan R said:

How would it benefit Coutinho now to let his game drop off or go on strike?

Hes already done that. He hasn't played yet this season. Could argue that with him playing, you would've beaten Watford and may have got a better result in Europe last week and it wouldn't be such a nervous night tonight. 

So his "sore back" :rolleyes: may have already cost Liverpool 2 points. Not saying thats a given obviously but he is LFCs best player. 

In other news, seems Zlatan could be back soon enough. Pre Xmas it looks like. 

Edited by The Nal

Just now, The Nal said:

Hes already done that. He hasn't played yet this season. Could argue that with him playing, you would've beaten Watford and may have got a better result in Europe last week and it wouldn't be such a nervous night tonight. 

So his "sore back" :rolleyes: may have already cost Liverpool 2 points. Not saying thats a given obviously but he is LFCs best player. 

One of Liverpool's best players, I'd definitely but Mane ahead of him. But once the window closes, how will it benefit him? He's reached his best level by miles playing under Klopp, so not playing for a long time would set him back a long way. Plus he's only recently become a fixture in the Brazil squad, and would he really want to risk missing out on being in the world cup squad? 

Barca's best players in attack and midfield are all past their peak and they'll still need players next season.

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but that's the bleedin' point. He wouldn't be playing for a big team.

He'd be in suit and tie in the stands.

I think he has to look at the City defenders and Kompanys injury record and back himself to make the team and also double his wages. If it doesnt work out there are plenty of mid table teams that would take him in a year.

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

w*nker.

He looks rejuvenated at Everton. Certainly would've been a positive thing for England. Only 31. 

Could've played the few qualifiers and then bowed out at the world cup next year aged 32. Very very odd.

Who doesn't want to play in a world cup for their country?! :o

He's looked ok.. Been very impressed with Calvert Lewin in the first couple of games. 8 English players started against city, the first premiership team to do that since 1996 (nine if you count Williams who was actually born in England)

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think he has to look at the City defenders and Kompanys injury record and back himself to make the team and also double his wages. If it doesnt work out there are plenty of mid table teams that would take him in a year.

Yeah with City moving to three at the back and looking at Kompany's injury record and the erratic form of Stone and Ottomendi he has a good chance to be playing semi-regularly.

Just now, The Nal said:

He looks rejuvenated at Everton. Certainly would've been a positive thing for England. Only 31. 

Could've played the few qualifiers and then bowed out at the world cup next year aged 32. Very very odd.

Who doesn't want to play in a world cup for their country?! :o

Probably thought he doesn't need the shit of being blamed for England's failiures. 

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon they're confident of getting Keita next summer. His club have said this summer that he's likely to go next year.

So put against that holding on to Phil for another year looks ideal, if they can do it.

Keita has a release clause of £48m next Summer. If he has another good season there'll be better teams than Liverpool interested at that price. Barca and City for starters will probably need a CM. I assume this is why they were so willing to bid huge amounts this Summer.

Tonights game showed everything that is good (fantastic) and bad (terrible) about us.

Absolutely brilliant in the first 25 minutes, blew them away. We look dangerous every time we attack.
On the other hand, we can't defend to save our lives. I feel sorry for Lovren but it was his error that lead to the goal again.

Should we make it to the last 16 then we will be in big trouble as away goals are massive and will probably be our downfall.

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow, though. We are bound to get Barca, RB Leipzig or both after the whole Coutinho and Keita sagas this summer.

9 hours ago, Dan R said:

One of Liverpool's best players, I'd definitely but Mane ahead of him. But once the window closes, how will it benefit him? He's reached his best level by miles playing under Klopp, so not playing for a long time would set him back a long way. Plus he's only recently become a fixture in the Brazil squad, and would he really want to risk missing out on being in the world cup squad? 

Barca's best players in attack and midfield are all past their peak and they'll still need players next season.

Mané is miles better than Phil.

12 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Keita has a release clause of £48m next Summer. If he has another good season there'll be better teams than Liverpool interested at that price. Barca and City for starters will probably need a CM. I assume this is why they were so willing to bid huge amounts this Summer.

there might be better teams in for him, tho by next summer (who knows?) Liverpool might be that better team.

I reckon they're a step ahead of others at the mo by their strong interest this summer, and that might play its part when Keita has to make his choice.

31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Thinking forwards to Sunday, I predict a 9-8 win to someone. :lol:

Sunday will be fantastic for the neutrals for sure.

Interesting Klopp quotes after the match yesterday. Saying that players said they were interested if Liverpool were in the Champions League. Fingers crossed we get some signings across the line before the window closes. Keita is an absolute no go IMO, but I still think VvD can happen. Some players who already play for us have also said the same by the sounds of it. My guess is Emre Can.

“If you talk to a player they say: ‘If you play Champions League it would be really interesting.’ Even if you try to extend a contract with a player in the squad, they say: ‘I want to play Champions League’. I always think: ‘WTF, it’s your job to do it with us together.’ Do it with us together. That’s what this team did and that’s why I’m so pleased. Fourteen months’ hard work and we did it. Nice.”

10 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Tonights game showed everything that is good (fantastic) and bad (terrible) about us.

Absolutely brilliant in the first 25 minutes, blew them away. We look dangerous every time we attack.
On the other hand, we can't defend to save our lives. I feel sorry for Lovren but it was his error that lead to the goal again.

Should we make it to the last 16 then we will be in big trouble as away goals are massive and will probably be our downfall.

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow, though. We are bound to get Barca, RB Leipzig or both after the whole Coutinho and Keita sagas this summer.

Liverpool are very entertaining for me as a neutral. I don't want to watch 2 times cancelling each other out in a technically proficient 0-0 draw. I think Salah will end up one of the signings of the seasons, to think some were brining up how he didn't make the grade at Chelsea as a reason that he wouldn't be a good signing.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Keita is an absolute no go IMO

probably unlikely, but i don't think it's impossible Barca might do something to help make it happen, it help make Coutinho happen for them. Perhaps send a hot kid Leipzig's way.

I've got little doubt that if Liverpool could land Keita they'd be happy(ish) to let Phil go.