Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, The Nal said:

Need a big 2 weeks shopping

Didn't help that we lost 3 players in the first game mind. Our defense is makeshift at present.

But yeah, huge need for a talented attacking signing. We've got plenty down the wings but that doesn't suit our strikers...

46 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Didn't help that we lost 3 players in the first game mind. Our defense is makeshift at present.

But yeah, huge need for a talented attacking signing. We've got plenty down the wings but that doesn't suit our strikers...

You think there is any chance Benitez walks if they don't strengthen? When I look at your squad it looks like a bottom 6 one to me.

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You think there is any chance Benitez walks if they don't strengthen? When I look at your squad it looks like a bottom 6 one to me.

Yes. We made a £40m profit the season we went down in terms of transfers, and have spent a net £8m this window so far. "every penny the club earns" isn't being followed up, and we're desperately short.

We have problems right through the team. Goalkeeper, fullbacks, midfield creativity and up front. The signings we made seem like bringing in numbers and cheap options rather than any quality. Only Merino and Lejeune seem like they could be improvements on what we had, and they're still not particularly exciting.

Until we sign another midfielder who can play a forward pass, we're completely reliant on the inconsistent Shelvey and his temperament.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How do you know its undignified? Barcelona could be in the right for all we know.

They may well be, but having seen the antics of the Spanish FA trying to block the move in the first place, which I'm sure Barca had no involvement in whatsoever, it's not hard to jump to that conclusion...

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that's a completely different matter. My point was that I couldn't comment whether it was undignified or not. To me its a legal matter depending on the terms of his contract.

Yeah, of course. I feel ya - just not bothered because they wind me up. Says more about me than it does them but oh well.

Apparently they're back in for Coutinho as well. £140 million. I'd look elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yeah, of course. I feel ya - just not bothered because they wind me up. Says more about me than it does them but oh well.

Apparently they're back in for Coutinho as well. £140 million. I'd look elsewhere.

100m up front rising to 140m ish. Barca are insane. Hes not that good. And Liverpool are insane refusing it considering they need 3-4 players elsewhere. 

But then again when 20m bids are being rejected for Jonny Evans what value will Liverpool get for their 100m?

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

100m up front rising to 140m ish. Barca are insane. Hes not that good. And Liverpool are insane refusing it considering they need 3-4 players elsewhere. 

I agree that he's short of perfect but he is improving year on year - and still young.

And it's not much good selling if they can't get a replacement for his position. The recent rumours of Draxler suggest they're still trying and might let him go. The money for Phil is great after all,  particularly against what they paid for him.

But then again when 20m bids are being rejected for Jonny Evans ...

if I were Evans i wouldn't care about the price, i'd be staying. Saw a clip this morning of last night's Celtic match. Scott Sinclair, remember him?

Edited by eFestivals

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree that he's short of perfect but he is improving year on year - and still young.

And it's not much good selling if they can't get a replacement for his position. The recent rumours of Draxler suggest they're still trying and might let him go. The money for Phil is great after all,  particularly against what they paid for him.

Phils a cracking player no doubt yeah. If they could get Draxler and a defender and a midfielder sure. But the window closes in 8 days!

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Phils a cracking player no doubt yeah. If they could get Draxler and a defender and a midfielder sure. But the window closes in 8 days!

They've already got money to spend on a midfielder and a defender, they're ready to spend about £60m on van Dijk and bid £66m for Keita. If they sold Coutinho clubs would just know more money's there and would hold out for more. The end result would be Liverpool paying way over the odds (even for this market) for 2nd/3rd choice players.

Plus it at least holds off the constant rebuilding following selling our best players.

Edited by Dan R

3 minutes ago, Dan R said:

They've already got money to spend on a midfielder and a defender, they're ready to spend about £60m on van Dijk and bid £66m for Keita. If they sold Coutinho clubs would just know more money's there and would hold out for more. The end result would be Liverpool paying way over the odds (even for this market) for 2nd/3rd choice players.

Plus it at least holds off the constant rebuilding following selling our best players.

True, but if a player wants to go theres not a whole lot you can do is there? OK he might stay for another year but the clock is ticking. 

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

True, but if a player wants to go theres not a whole lot you can do is there? OK he might stay for another year but the clock is ticking. 

I reckon they're confident of getting Keita next summer. His club have said this summer that he's likely to go next year.

So put against that holding on to Phil for another year looks ideal, if they can do it.

Just now, The Nal said:

I don't really get the whole 'have to let a player go once their head's been turned' approach. How would it benefit Coutinho now to let his game drop off or go on strike? It seems to be something that's mostly said by ex-players who go on to say something about no-one being able to turn down Barca.

I think most Liverpool fans were expecting him to go next year, but clubs don't have to same need to sell as before so we might see more players seeing out more of their massive contracts.