Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've had a lot of success in the past by just picking one player as captain and, barring injury or massive loss of form, sticking with them all season. You accept that they'll have the odd match where they don't pick up many points but it's better than trying to be clever every week and getting it wrong.

Easy to say when you had Lukaku as captain first week...

Yeah, exactly. I'll be sticking with Kane even when he lines up against us this Sunday. 

On another note, Diego Costa is starting to p*ss me off.

30 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yeah, exactly. I'll be sticking with Kane even when he lines up against us this Sunday. 

On another note, Diego Costa is starting to p*ss me off.

Costa keeps banging on about wanting to go back to Atletico this summer, but aren't they still banned from signing anyone? Has nobody pointed this out to him?

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Take the money, Delph is only slightly less of a sicknote than Wilshire

Shame, because he'd be quality if he could stay fit. That said our medical staff are renowned for working wonders - Darren Fletcher didn't miss a single game for us despite his health issues - so we are often more inclined to take a punt on players with chequered injury records. Wouldn't want us to sign him permanently yet, but a season to see if we can get him ticking again might not be out of the question.

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Those gimps at the Everton game last night in the away end. Sad acts.

This was funny though https://twitter.com/scouser_andy/status/898273064911200256/video/1

I was watching it on youtube and the chat window seemed to be full of what I assume were Hajduk fans posting swastika's.

In the previous round they were supposed to play the game behind closed doors. UEFA went back on that decision 3 days before and obviously Brondby fans didn't have time to organise transport and didn't go. Brondby lost 2 vs 0. You would hope UEFA actually do something this time but I doubt it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2017/07/21/uefa-closes-hajduk-split-stadium-for-fans-racist-chants/103882720/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-BRjWcFc08YGJxNJRtZ7..A

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I was watching it on youtube and the chat window seemed to be full of what I assume were Hajduk fans posting swastika's.

In the previous round they were supposed to play the game behind closed doors. UEFA went back on that decision 3 days before and obviously Brondby fans didn't have time to organise transport and didn't go. Brondby lost 2 vs 0. You would hope UEFA actually do something this time but I doubt it.

That's shocking that. UEFA has made a huge error there. Apparently all the away fans were down by the docks before the game last night posing with The Beatles statue getting pictures with the scarves over their faces etc haha. Absolute mugs. 

Seen videos of them getting rowdy in the city but not sure what the chants were, whether they were offensive or whatever. They definitely look like trouble though. Bin 'em.

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Costa keeps banging on about wanting to go back to Atletico this summer, but aren't they still banned from signing anyone? Has nobody pointed this out to him?

Nah they can sign players but can't register them until January. Similar to Barca the other year, they signed Arda Turan from Atletico in the Summer and he just didn't play until Jan.

You also can't loan players out without registering them so Costa wouldn't be able to play at all until January. Atletico did something weird earlier this window to get around this where they paid a player called Vitolo €35m to buy out his own release clause at Sevilla and join Las Palmas on a 6 month contract before joining Atletico on a free transfer in January.

So yeah, either he'd sit in the stands until January or they could do something similar to the above.

13 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Nah they can sign players but can't register them until January. Similar to Barca the other year, they signed Arda Turan from Atletico in the Summer and he just didn't play until Jan.

You also can't loan players out without registering them so Costa wouldn't be able to play at all until January. Atletico did something weird earlier this window to get around this where they paid a player called Vitolo €35m to buy out his own release clause at Sevilla and join Las Palmas on a 6 month contract before joining Atletico on a free transfer in January.

So yeah, either he'd sit in the stands until January or they could do something similar to the above.

Did not know there was a loophole. Wonder if he fancies a few months in the Black Country...

On 17/08/2017 at 10:48 AM, jyoung said:

Read that over 90,000 people transferred Harry Kane out of their fantasy teams this week after he failed to score at Newcastle. Funny considering he had more overall shots and shots inside the area than any other striker in gameweek one. Nightmare for those who, like me, captained him though, earning a measly two points.

I'm praying Kane scores at the weekend - preferably early in the game - so we don't have to endure another 90 minutes of commentators constantly pointing out he has never scored in August in the PL. 

Generally speaking I'm not that fussed on BT Sport. Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes just shouldn't be on the tele and Jake Humphreys is annoying... However, they're killing it with some great advertising game this year. Love it!

Edited by jyoung

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Generally speaking I'm not that fussed on BT Sport.

me neither, but I hope someone's still streaming it  :P
(tho it's pretty rare I watch a UK-originating stream)

Watched the early match last weekend OK but at 3pm everything I tried was dead - tho I didn't try more than a few clicks cos there wasn't a match that really grabbed my interest.