Football 17/18

TheGayTent

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

aren't they currently having to do an Arsenal, and have no money for players cos it's all going on the stadium at the mo..?

I believe so.

Arsenal had that period of winning little to nothing but they also had experienced players with medals and trophies who were be able to get them back to winning silverware. Spurs players have, essentially, no previous experience of that. Will it make a difference, who knows. Psychology plays a massive part, I reckon. 

The stadium thing does worry me as the cost of the Stamford Bridge redevelopment is expected to be a rather pricey affair. I can only hope it doesn't impact our activity.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He's not going to physically ask for a transfer as then he loses out on a pay-out. This as honest as he's allowed to be. He's honest in terms of wanting more money - He's the best left back in the country and he's currently paid the same as Keiron Gibbs and Connor Wickham. He has never won anything, Djimi Traore has a bigger medal collection than him.

Unfortunately for Spurs, as honourable as their model of breaking into the elite whilst maintaining a wage structure is, this is where the system falls flat. All it takes is one play (Walker) moving to a competitor and doubling his wage for the others to question their own worth.

When you say best left back in the country, do you mean English or premiership? He is a decent full back, but like a lot of the current spurs crop getting a bit overrated.

Not really that much point to this yet as the transfer window isn't closed, but for now I'll go with this. I'll come back with an updated one once the window is shut.

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. West Ham
9. Watford
10. Southampton
11. Crystal Palace
12. Bournemouth
13. Leicester
14. Swansea
15. West Brom
16. Newcastle
17. Stoke
18. Brighton
19. Huddersfield
20. Burnley

4th-6th was difficult and I think it'll be very close.

Burnley look screwed to me. Lost their best centre back and have just sold Gray despite already not being able to score goals. Wasnt sure whether to have them or Huddersfield bottom.

If Swansea lose Sigurdsson and/or Llorente then they can be shifted down to that bottom 4.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

So, season starts tomorrow for us Prem lot. Crazy predictions are as follows...

1st Chelsea (if we make new signings), 2nd United, 3rd Liverpool,  4th City, 5th Arsenal, 6th Spurs

18th Swansea, 19th Burnley, 20th Huddersfield

really hard to do at the mo, for example, Phil to Barca or not is likely to make a big difference.

But this is the year I reckon that Pep gets found out, so as things stand I'm going for

Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool
Utd
City

and

Burnley
Huddesfield
Palace

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

doesn't it become designated for internationals for everywhere, tho? 

Otherwise it might effect the club competitions in UEFA countries.

Quite - but when is it ok for that to happen and when isn't it? 

ACON goes on during club competitions in UEFA countries. 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Quite - but when is it ok for that to happen and when isn't it? 

they're changing things towards consiscency, because...

Just now, TheGayTent said:

ACON goes on during club competitions in UEFA countries. 

not any more!

(or perhaps just for one more. It's changing to June sometime soon).

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they're changing things towards consiscency, because...

not any more!

(or perhaps just for one more. It's changing to June sometime soon).

Sort of makes sense - though you're always going to have clashes just because of the way the world works. The Brazilian league for example runs from May to December. 

1. Manchester City
  2. Chelsea
  3. Liverpool
  4. Manchester United
  5. Tottenham
  6. Arsenal
  7. West Ham
  8. Leicester
  9. Everton
  10. Southampton
  11. Crystal Palace
  12. West Brom
  13. Stoke
  14. Watford
  15. Newcastle
  16. Bournemouth
  17. Swansea
  18. Burnley
  19. Brighton
  20. Huddersfield
Edited by lost

39 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Sort of makes sense - though you're always going to have clashes just because of the way the world works. The Brazilian league for example runs from May to December. 

if all international slots are the same all round the world, it means that internationals will never interfere with club football (apart from causing breaks for all club footie during that slot).

It's about the only consistent solution there can be. 

The worst impact will be on the leagues who play in June, but if there's going to be long tournaments those are always going to impact somewhere.

Edited by eFestivals

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if all international slots are the same all round the world, it means that internationals will never interfere with club football (apart from causing breaks for all club footie during that slot).

No it doesn't. Some clubs and some leagues will still be effected more than others. 

It's about the only consistent solution there can be. 

It's more consistent but it's not really a solution. 

The worst impact will be on the leagues who play in June, but if there's going to be long tournaments those are always going to impact somewhere.

Well yes, as has been pointed out already.