Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I've not checked any odds as I'm not betting atm, but Spurs on an each way would be a good shout as they'll be 4th favs but likely to finish higher.

Top/bottom "At christmas" can be a good market. Arsenal might start strongly but won't win it. Promoted teams generally get 2/3rds - 3/4s of their points in the first half of the season, while established teams take longer to get going but are more likely to recover, so sticking a bit on someone like Watford/Palace to be bottom at christmas could go well.

I think it's a bit harder this year as I can't work out any team who are certain to go down. Brighton are my favs, but there's no teams who currently look to me like they've been in the Prem too long. Leicester getting relegated might be an okay outside bet even though I don't think it'll happen.

I don't like tying up my money for long periods of time unless it's small stakes and/or long odds so betting wise I'm not interested in those markets really. 

If you do your research the transfer specials most firms are offering provide some value. 

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Am I right that Spurs haven't bought anyone new in? Maybe they are saving up for a new stadium.

Another reason why betting on finishing positions now is not attractive. Squads can look very different come September 3rd...

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I've not checked any odds as I'm not betting atm, but Spurs on an each way would be a good shout as they'll be 4th favs but likely to finish higher.

I'd like to think if you checked the odds you would change your mind! 

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think it's a bit harder this year as I can't work out any team who are certain to go down. Brighton are my favs, but there's no teams who currently look to me like they've been in the Prem too long. Leicester getting relegated might be an okay outside bet even though I don't think it'll happen.

Surely Huddersfield are clear favourite to go down.

The only season long bets I ever put on are a fiver on Arsenal and league/top scorer double. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Another reason why betting on finishing positions now is not attractive. Squads can look very different come September 3rd...

Completely agreed. When I did bet I used to put my season bets down at the beginning of September.

24 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Surely Huddersfield are clear favourite to go down.

Favourites yes, I think they have a chance though. They could defend in the Championship, unlike Brighton. It's whether they have the firepower.

Usually, everyone always predicts 2 of the promoted teams to go down, with one team who narrowly escaped the year before, and it ends up being 1 promoted, one who narrowly escaped but is due a relegation and one mid-table team who got arrogant. I just don't see anyone who escaped last year. Most years there's 4 or 5 teams who deserve to go down, but last year there were very clearly 3 worse teams than everyone else. I don't think anyone starts this season with little hope.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Is that the real treble, or a charity shield, European super cup, league cup variety! I heard the sky news presenter talking about Klopps first trophy a couple of days ago using a friendly tournament, I'm not sure what counts these days!

No idea, even home draws against West Brom are seen as trophies these days.

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Favourites yes, I think they have a chance though. They could defend in the Championship, unlike Brighton. It's whether they have the firepower.

Brighton had the joint best defensive record in the league with Newcastle and kept the most clean sheets. Huddersfield conceded more goals than they scored and kept nowhere near as many clean sheets. They literally conceded more goals than Wigan, who were relegated to League One...

Edited by jyoung

The relegation picture is hard to call this year. There are no obvious clusterfuck teams like Sunderland or Villa. Huddersfield and Brighton will naturally struggle due to lack of PL experience and quality but will still be game, Newcastle are still essentially a Championship side with an excellent coach who should keep them above water. Then you can pick from Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Swansea, Stoke, West Brom, Palace... all are capable of having the sort of terrible season that ends in the drop.

If I had to pick three right now: Huddersfield, Burnley, Stoke.

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

That might be an advantage to be fair, not done Bournemouth any harm.

I can see Huddersfield going the way of Blackpool - have a real go for the first couple of months, energy and excitement gets them the odd surprise result. Then winter rolls round, they start getting thumped regularly and they go on the sort of run they never recover from.

Brighton should be able to slip into the pack of mediocrity that is the lower half of the Premier League.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Is that the real treble, or a charity shield, European super cup, league cup variety! I heard the sky news presenter talking about Klopps first trophy a couple of days ago using a friendly tournament, I'm not sure what counts these days!

Generally, if Sky show it, they count it as a trophy!

But I do agree. Trophies are European Cup, League, Fa Cup, UEFA Cup and League Cup. Everything else is just nonsense

The three managers who've come up are quality in their own unique ways and it pains me to say that about Benitez.

Wagner's team press quickly and tend to suffocate the opposition before getting forward with speed and playing with great interchange. Whether or not this will translate into the Premier League is another thing but he is an exciting young manager and it will be interesting to watch. 

Houghton has been there and done it before without getting the recognition he deserves. I think he's underrated and if he can keep the Seagulls up this year, he has a chance to build a decent Premier League team. Some would argue his untimely sackings with Newcastle and Norwich did not give him that opportunity. Brighton have world class facilities. They club itself is ready for the Premier League. Can Houghton get the team ready? I fancy his chances.

Benitez' reputation speaks for itself. If the board back him he should be able to turn Newcastle's fortunes around and get them up the table. The squad definitely needs improving. Of course we can say that about Brighton and Huddersfield but the difference is, Newcastle are probably in more of a position to make those improvements.

Who will go down? I've not given it much thought but right now I'd lean towards Huddersfield, Burnley and Swansea.

Edited by jyoung

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

Financed through selling squad players, doing it the right way. 

I couldn't believe that and a quick Google search shows that's not quite true. They've spent £40 million already not including that young Brazilian they have a £40 million pre-agreement with, whereas they've sold £100 million worth of players. 

Agree with the principal though and anyway, I suppose they can do what they want really!

Edited by jyoung

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I couldn't believe that and a quick Google search shows that's not quite true. They've spent £40 million already not including that young Brazilian they have a £40 million pre-agreement with, whereas they've sold £100 million worth of players. 

Agree with the principal though and anyway, I suppose they can do what they want really!

I'm presuming one of bale or benzema will go, for the best part of 70m notes. Then again all depends if mbappe gets loaned back.

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

I'm presuming one of bale or benzema will go, for the best part of 70m notes. Then again all depends if mbappe gets loaned back.

None of those things will happen... Surely? Haven't seen anything about that.