Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

Yeah man, see below!

Apparently the initial figure is £58m. Over time, with add ons, I expect the fee to be about £70m. That said, Real definitely dislike Jose and United. I think they're still bitter with regards to the De Gea fax machine incident.

I also reckon that they see United as their biggest threat globally in terms of revenue and popularity etc. I imagine that plays an (albeit slightly smaller) part too.

They probably also expected United to be more willing to meet whatever valuation they slapped on him, whereas Chelsea are much tougher negotiators. With United out of the running now they either had to lower their valuation or they probably wouldn't have found a buyer.

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Of course. He scored 15+ once (16 goals) in 17 seasons at Liverpool. Only got into double figures 4 times. 

The myth of Gerrard. Perpetuated mainly by Stevie Me. 

I just find it interesting how something is accepted as fact if repeated enough. Im not sure if it's perpetuated by him, probably more because he courted the media during his career and got them on side.

Lamps didn't frequently manage more than 15 that's for sure. Though one season he did make the 20s which is unheard of for a central midfielder. He did outscore Gerrard in ten of thirteen seasons though. Greatest goalscoring midfielder of all time.

I remember that as one of my go to stats during the many pointless and boring Lamps vs Stevie G debates.

Edited by jyoung

My biggest problem with the England team at that time was playing both Lampard and Gerrard. They both seemed to make the same runs and it need one with either Carrick or Barry. As mentioned Lampards record was better and Gerrrard would of never been dropped so we were stuck with being overrun in the middle by the better teams.

34 minutes ago, lost said:

My biggest problem with the England team at that time was playing both Lampard and Gerrard. They both seemed to make the same runs and it need one with either Carrick or Barry. As mentioned Lampards record was better and Gerrrard would of never been dropped so we were stuck with being overrun in the middle by the better teams.

Shunting Scholes out wide to accommodate them both was criminal (although he didn't cover himself in glory by subsequently quitting). The England team should have been built around him.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm guessing they might have taken it if they'd got Keita.

Just seen an Indie article that reckons they'll cave to Barca anyway.

Yeah, of course they will. If I were them I'd be looking at investing in a solid spine. That Keita fee is bonkers but if they could get him in, a class centre back and a keeper that isn't error prone, build the team around that spine and let the abundance of attacking talent do the rest. Job done.

4 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Klopp say LFC are not a selling club. Hmmm. Obviously a new development if proven to be true. We will see. 

Prior to selling Torres, Suarez and Sterling the club came out and said each one would not be sold...

I mean it's no big deal let's not kid ourselves, every club sells players but yeah.

3 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Klopp say LFC are not a selling club. Hmmm. Obviously a new development if proven to be true. We will see. 

I think on this one they might get lucky. All the indications from Phil previously is that he's not interested in a move to Barca - tho whether that's really true we'll find out I guess.

But if they have to sell it's all profit cos they bought him for a song, so I don't think the club will be beating themselves up about it.

Just now, jyoung said:

Prior to selling Torres, Suarez and Sterling the club came out and said each one would not be sold...

You've got to say their strategy wasn't dreadful around those sales, even if they did have to cave and sell - cos they were premium prices and high profit on the players!

As for "won't be sold" that's like Eavis saying it was the best Glastonbury ever, it's just what's got to be said.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You've got to say their strategy wasn't dreadful around those sales, even if they did have to cave and sell - cos they were premium prices and high profit on the players!

As for "won't be sold" that's like Eavis saying it was the best Glastonbury ever, it's just what's got to be said.

Yeah for sure, I just meant it will probably be the same with Coutinho. They managed to scrape every last penny of profit out of those players. Particularly with Torres where they had every intention of selling him but held out to the very last minute to make maximum £££. They definitely put themselves in a strong position in terms of that. It even got them an extra year out of Suarez. They are getting better at reinvesting each time as well. No more £35 million Andy Carroll's lerking around.

Edited by jyoung

Man City doing everything they possibly can to make their back line the most expensive in world football! Seeing some pundits saying that these signings make them favourites... Not too sure about that to be honest. We saw the defensive frailities last year and I'm not sure throwing a bunch of new lads together will work despite the obvious talent. Pep played a very rigid system last year. At times it felt like Pep's ideology versus the Premier League. I'll be interested to see how he gets on this year!

45 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Man City doing everything they possibly can to make their back line the most expensive in world football! Seeing some pundits saying that these signings make them favourites... Not too sure about that to be honest. We saw the defensive frailities last year and I'm not sure throwing a bunch of new lads together will work despite the obvious talent. Pep played a very rigid system last year. At times it felt like Pep's ideology versus the Premier League. I'll be interested to see how he gets on this year!

They're on course to break the world record for a window, although a few clubs could be doing that this summer.

17 minutes ago, mjsell said:

If City don't win the league then huge questions have got to be asked. 

I hope they don't. I'd like to see Peps reputation take a dent.

I think if Utd, city or Chelsea don't win it there will be questions.

questions for Liverpool and spurs if they do not win nowt.

top 4 will be more than acceptable for arsenal and Everton.