Football 17/18

TheGayTent

10 minutes ago, lost said:

I really don't understand why Galloway didn't get a game.. He looked excellent for us the year before.

He played a few matches at LB at the start of last season and looked ok, had a terrible game against West Ham and Pulis never seemed to forgive him. Nyom was shunted to left back and he never got a look in afterwards.

To be fair, I've seen Arnautovic score some absolute peaches. That said, he is a classic example of a player who is either in the game or completely out of the game. As for Chicarito up top, I've always rated him. Okay he isn't going to be your 20 goal a season target man but he has scored goals in England, Spain and Germany (his international record is outstanding as well). I remember he always scored against us. Tricky player to play against and hard to keep in your pocket thats for sure. He will always find goalscoring positions. I'd take him off the bench at Chelsea any day of the week. Manchester United should have never sold him. 

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Sakho. Having said that, Sakho looks terrible but rarely fucks up.

But he does look terrible.

Sakho's not a full back. I could name plenty of centre backs that look bereft of composure.

I think the thing with Nyom as well is that once in 100 he could actually stride confidently through about 5 players into dangerous positions, and then with his next touch look like Titus bramble at his best.

Looks like Andy Robertson is on his way to Liverpool. Wonder what that means for James Milner. Apparently Klopp is planning much more rotation this year. 

I only find this interesting due to Milner being a strong point scorer from defence in fantasy football.

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Looks like Andy Robertson is on his way to Liverpool. Wonder what that means for James Milner. Apparently Klopp is planning much more rotation this year. 

I only find this interesting due to Milner being a strong point scorer from defence in fantasy football.

I suspect that Milner will get a bit of a go at left back still, as he was exceedingly effective with that last season (tho of course not flawless).

But also a better amount (compared to last season) of time in the middle too - tho as one of the back-ups, rather than a main man.

Think of him as the new Lucas (sort-of), now that Lucas has moved on.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

i thought they'd been trying to push Fab out?

Think Conte has gone on record saying how important Fab was last year and how he deserved to play more. His stats from last season are insane considering game time. He was a huge factor towards the end of the season and given European involvement this year I think he will play a much larger part. Also worth noting Hazard will miss a few games at the start of the season so expect to see Fab pulling the strings. Fingers crossed anyway. 

6 hours ago, jyoung said:

6 hours ago, jyoung said:

I can't say Robertson impressed me, but if they are swapping a 23 year old who has played a decent amount of premiership games for Kevin Stewart who I have never heard of, it seems an ok deal.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I actually think Lineker does a good job, however I'm not convinced he is great value for the taxpayer. To me the football is the draw and if they replaced him for someone 25% of the salary people wouldn't stop watching.

The women would.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I actually think Lineker does a good job, however I'm not convinced he is great value for the taxpayer. To me the football is the draw and if they replaced him for someone 25% of the salary people wouldn't stop watching.

Agreed. I like Lineker, but he does nothing that someone like Dan Walker couldn't do. 

But Evans can do one first. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd had a 70m ish bid rejected (apparently) but they accepted 58m from Chelsea?

I'm guessing there's more intricacies than an overall figure, but yeah you are right. Maybe Real don't like Jose. 

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd had a 70m ish bid rejected (apparently) but they accepted 58m from Chelsea?

Yeah man, see below!

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'm guessing there's more intricacies than an overall figure, but yeah you are right. Maybe Real don't like Jose. 

Apparently the initial figure is £58m. Over time, with add ons, I expect the fee to be about £70m. That said, Real definitely dislike Jose and United. I think they're still bitter with regards to the De Gea fax machine incident.

I also reckon that they see United as their biggest threat globally in terms of revenue and popularity etc. I imagine that plays an (albeit slightly smaller) part too.

I'll try and post in the correct topic this time!

Interestingly I have heard twice in the last couple of weeks (and multiple times over the years)) when discussing midfielders scoring ability comparisons to Gerrard in terms of being guaranteed 15-20 premiership goals a season. Is this an example of a false statistic being repeated so many times that people believe it to be true? 

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Interestingly I have heard twice in the last couple of weeks (and multiple times over the years)) when discussing midfielders scoring ability comparisons to Gerrard in terms of being guaranteed 15-20 premiership goals a season. Is this an example of a false statistic being repeated so many times that people believe it to be true? 

I reckon so. I guess there's also the factor that a fairly high proportion of his goals were key and memorable, so they seemed more frequent than they were.

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Of course. He scored 15+ once (16 goals) in 17 seasons at Liverpool. Only got into double figures 4 times. 

The myth of Gerrard. Perpetuated mainly by Stevie Me. 

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Lampard must have gotten pretty close to those sorts of figures though?

CBA actually looking it up.