Just a thought for those involved in the London fire

babyblade41

I hope the other good folk of this forum see fit to report this idiot above.  If you're serious, then take your views elsewhere, if you're not serious then its not big or clever or funny. Just do one. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, bexj said:

I hope the other good folk of this forum see fit to report this idiot above.  If you're serious, then take your views elsewhere, if you're not serious then its not big or clever or funny. Just do one. 

Just look at all his other posts. It won't be long before @eFestivals shows him the door.

4 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

The tower was built in 1974. There's been a number of Labour governments in power since then. Still no sprinkler systems installed so why did she blame the fire on this government's cuts?

Tory's have buried a report into fire safety for years, their ex housing minister spoke out against regulating the installation of sprinklers as they claimed it would deter housing developers and instead that the onus should be on the fire safety people marketing their products more attractively (you can't make this shit up!). Tory council refused to act on warnings and concerns for years. It is a political issue. Lives are cheap, money and landlords seem to be held in higher regard. 

I will say this though there are plenty of councils of all political affiliations who are refusing to do their basic duty when it comes to fire safety because they don't want to spend any money. I work in a youth project that had to spend the past 5 years fighting to get the council owned premises to be made fire safety compliant. 7 years of being fobbed off (refusing to replace or check fire extinguishers, no smoke alarms, no safe exits- an absolute death trap). In the end we had to go over their heads and actually threaten them legal action and releases to the media. Why does it take money threats or a horrific tragedy for people to do their basic job?

Absolutely awful for all those whose lives have been affected or lost- the terror and desperation of those poor kids and adults caught up in it, to the point where they had to jump or throw their kids out the window. Absolutely awful.  I'm really upset and angry about this. 

40 minutes ago, bexj said:

Yes. But if you report them its quicker for Neil to find them x

You get used to his strange sense of humour.. Worst thing is sometimes he's right. Only sometimes tho 

download.jpg

If you think this tower block is going to be found unusual in it's initial construction, maintenance, and the improvements to it, then, in my opinion, think again. If you move in to a new high rise block that was only handed over yesterday, and purportedly meets all current regulations, then think again. I was a Building Maintenance Surveyor for 25 years, until I kind of stopped doing that. I've seen brand new high rise building with no fire stopping between flats. I've seen the owners of high rise buildings use non fire retardent paint in communal areas - specifically the walls and ceilings of a high rise buildings only fire escape. I've seen all flats within a high rise building have no fire compartmentalization - as in, at all. 

I really am not trying to scare anybody, but actually trying to make you aware. So, you go to see an event somewhere in the country and you book yourself in to that new multi storey hotel. You don't give a fuck what storey you are on because you are keen to get out on the lash and go to the event you want to go to. Well, do give a fuck what storey you are on in future. Ask any Fire Officer what storey they will go up to when staying at a hotel, and they'll tell you it's the same storey that you can be saved from via a fire brigades ladder system. Above that, and you ain't getting saved via a ladder. Depending on the fire in question, you are then relying on the fire service to put the fire out. Not exactly a wise choice.

Apologies if I seem to be the messenger of doom, especially given the gravity of the current situation with this tower block. All I am trying to do, is to educate and keep you, the reader of this post, as safe as possible.

Just read this; I too thought at first that people were responding to Russy's post at the top of the page (and wondering what was wrong with it - seemed like a fairly accurate observation to me). There must have been another post in-between that got deleted.

Gruesome event. Working for a neighbouring borough, we spent part of our day co-ordinating responses. A lot, really, a LOT of help has already been offered by people in the area, and by the time I left work (8-ish), there were so many donations of blankets, clothes and food in the collection centres that some couldn't take any more.

We've been advised to give out this link to people wanting to donate money:

https://thekandcfoundation.com/donate/

Kensington and Chelsea Council is also looking for volunteers to help with the support effort following the fire, you can find out more via their Twitter page.

@Yoghurt on a Stick I can see your points and even back in the 70's they knew this. They knew that the fire brigade couldn't rescue people above certain heights which is why they built these buildings like nuclear bunkers and have all the flats self contained. 

That building has been there over 40 years, I'd be surprised if this was the only time there has been a fire there. So why has this one turned out so tragically? 

The fault here is the new cladding on the outside of the building, it gave the fire means to travel between floors, something not able to be done previously  and wasn't part of the original design and the evacuation procedure not altered to suit. 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

@Yoghurt on a Stick I can see your points and even back in the 70's they knew this. They knew that the fire brigade couldn't rescue people above certain heights which is why they built these buildings like nuclear bunkers and have all the flats self contained. 

That building has been there over 40 years, I'd be surprised if this was the only time there has been a fire there. So why has this one turned out so tragically? 

The fault here is the new cladding on the outside of the building, it gave the fire means to travel between floors, something not able to be done previously  and wasn't part of the original design and the evacuation procedure not altered to suit. 

I have to state that I hadn't stated my own view on the fault in this instance. It would blow my mind if you were wrong in your conclusion. That said, I think I'd feel like a minor concussion if it wasn't also to be found that other fire protection measures weren't in place, were broken, weren't suitably specified, installed, or maintained.