Does anyone know of anyone who's been refused entry to Glastonbury?

Vallant

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's likely there may be multiple ticket checks this year, making it harder to get in on a dodgy ticket.

E.g. Car-parks, joining main queue, security search and wristband exchange. Normaly it's only the wristband exchange where your ticket gets checked.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Are they allowed to take the ticket off you?

No I don't think they can legally take it off you, however if you have already surrendered your ticket for inspection ... Good luck trying to get it back.

Same with the searches (providing what they find is not illegal) you can refuse or back out at any time, consequence being that you wouldn't gain entrance obviously. If they ask for your ticket at the point of search you would not be obliged to surrender it.

The tickets give you the conditions of entry, you can change your mind and not be bound by those conditions at any time. Once you have entered though, then you have agreed to abide by said conditions.

9 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Of course they will just send you on your way. Trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket isn't a crime is it. They can't "detain" anyone. Security can refuse entry but if no criminal offence has been committed then that's all they can do. Can you imagine the police saying "you're under arrest for trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket. You're going to the cells". Ha ha. No chance. As I've already said. Worse case scenario is they'll say the person can't come in. Take the the ticket away and they'll lose £240. No one is getting detained. 

You could well be right - you probably are - but it's not impossible that the old bill might want to play a part in looking at those who are using someone else's ticket. There's different reasons this year for why they might want to take an interest.

In 2014 I went back out to my car to get the rest of my gear and they basically never gave me a pass out ticket. I hadn't realised I needed one. 

When I got back to Gate D and couldn't produce a pass out ticket, nay didn't even know what one was - I then had to queue for about 2 hours at the hut behind some people whose tent had been robbed to state my case. 

Was quite infuriating as it was down to one of the staff not paying attention when I left.

Edited by Gozzynoko-Flow

18 hours ago, elbongo said:

Got asked "who's ticket is this, this is not you mate". I had my driving licence on me so could prove it. Was Tuesday night however and they then refused me entry cause it was a punter ticket. I'd been in "working" that day up SE corner. Had to walk to the next gate and was let in but close call.. 

what's a punter ticket? I'm confused. lol.

2 minutes ago, Gozzynoko-Flow said:

In 2014 I went back out to my car to get the rest of my gear and they basically never gave me a pass out ticket. I hadn't realised I needed one. 

When I got back to Gate D and couldn't produce a pass out ticket, nay didn't even know what one was - I then had to queue for about 2 hours at the hut behind some people whose tent had been robbed to state my case. 

Was quite infuriating as it was down to one of the staff not paying attention when I left.

I did exactly the same thing the first year the passouts came in. Luckily managed to convince a very nice Oxfam Supervisor to let me in. 

8 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

No I don't think they can legally take it off you, however if you have already surrendered your ticket for inspection ... Good luck trying to get it back.

Same with the searches (providing what they find is not illegal) you can refuse or back out at any time, consequence being that you wouldn't gain entrance obviously. If they ask for your ticket at the point of search you would not be obliged to surrender it.

The tickets give you the conditions of entry, you can change your mind and not be bound by those conditions at any time. Once you have entered though, then you have agreed to abide by said conditions.

Except it's not your ticket is it. The ticket belongs to the person it was sold to and it's not transferable.

Would they take any action against the person whose ticket it is for selling it on?

6 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Except it's not your ticket is it. The ticket belongs to the person it was sold to and it's not transferable.

Would they take any action against the person whose ticket it is for selling it on?

They may struggle to buy another ticket next year

18 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Could genuinely happen that you've mixed a ticket up with a friend not arriving at the same time/day. You could just say you will go away and sort the mixup out with your friend.

Not sure they could ever prove it's been sold on unless you admit it.

Edit: I think the main thing is stopping false tickets, wristband passback/scams and touts selling on for a large markup. False tickets/scams would mean more people on site than the license is for and really could cause the festival bother if the numbers were enough. If it's a genuine ticket sold on as someone can't go anymore then the same number of people are on site as they have sold so I don't see it as crime of the century and the ticket gets used by a genuine punter.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

34 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Except it's not! Ticket (and wristband and passout) are property of GFL until Monday afternoon according to the T&Cs...so of course they can confiscate it, it belongs to the festival until it's over...(I can't believe I actually read the T&Cs mind you!)...

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Except it's not! Ticket (and wristband and passout) are property of GFL until Monday afternoon according to the T&Cs...so of course they can confiscate it, it belongs to the festival until it's over...(I can't believe I actually read the T&Cs mind you!)...

Conditions of Entry

You are agreeing to these conditions by entering the festival. 

Hey guys, I might be able to clear a few things up here.

I've been a security supervisor for the last four years and I can confirm that a person found to be entering on a ticket not belonging to them will be refused entry. The police are legally allowed to take the details of the person trying to gain entry and detain them until they can confirm that the ticket has not been stolen. If it is confirmed that the ticket was resold, then the person who has resold their ticket is usually taken off the ticket register, the ticket will be cancelled and the new purchaser will be refused entry.

I can also confirm that this year there will be increased scrutiny of tickets, so it would be a good idea to try and look as much like your photo as possible, and have your bank card, driver's licence etc on hand as additional proof of id, just in case.

Also to mention that most of the initial ticket checking will be done by volunteers, so please guys, be nice, they're nervous this year because they know people are going to be fed up of queuing, so please be respectful and remember that we're all just trying to look out for each other.

Cheers, and have a good one.

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Conditions of Entry

You are agreeing to these conditions by entering the festival. 

To be fair though, arguing over the murky legality of ticket confiscation while you are trying to blag your way in on someone else's probably won't get you very far!:)

In 2015 I noticed two very upset girls sitting by our caravan. I approached them to check they were okay. Turned out both of their partners had been taken off site to be questioned. Both were using someone elses tickets and on entering they were denied entry. 

We went into the festival and when we returned 7 hours later all 4 were packing up to leave. Two were now without tickets and the weekend was spoilt for all 4. 

Not worth the risk IMHO. 

20 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

In previous years I would have said to go for it, as long as you have a passing resemblance to the photo, you should have a reasonable chance.

this year, however, I can't. I had the opportunity myself but didn't take it because the scrutiny is going to be that much higher. Plus I read in another thread that the ticket inspectors are getting incentives to catch fraudulent tickets. Not sure if it's true but given recent events, it doesn't seem out of the realms of possibility. 

That said, if you approached the situation with enough confidence, that could get you far.

The 'ticket inspectors' are usually volunteers, they get no monies whatsoever for their (sometimes extremely stressful) work, just a ticket to the festival. All staff at the festival are instructed to be extra vigilant this year, for very obvious reasons- monetary incentive isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

what's a punter ticket? I'm confused. lol.

Soz. Punter as in normal ticket. I was attempting to get back in on my public ticket on the Tuesday night. I had worker wrist band and all the pass out just security "doing there job". 

2 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

Of course they will just send you on your way. Trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket isn't a crime is it. They can't "detain" anyone. Security can refuse entry but if no criminal offence has been committed then that's all they can do. Can you imagine the police saying "you're under arrest for trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket. You're going to the cells". Ha ha. No chance. As I've already said. Worse case scenario is they'll say the person can't come in. Take the the ticket away and they'll lose £240. No one is getting detained. 

Maybe not in normal circumstances, but after Manchester and London security will be more intense and they will be looking for potential attackers trying to get in on fake/touted/stolen tickets, if they have any reason to think someone with a ticket not their own is anything other than a normal punter unlucky in October then they will be detained. 

18 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Maybe not in normal circumstances, but after Manchester and London security will be more intense and they will be looking for potential attackers trying to get in on fake/touted/stolen tickets, if they have any reason to think someone with a ticket not their own is anything other than a normal punter unlucky in October then they will be detained. 

That's what the security checks are for. If they have any reason to think anyone - be it on a fake/touted/stolen ticket, a real one, hospitality or a worker - is anything other than a normal punter then they'll be detained. The ticket checks are an entirely separate thing and for different reasons.

2 minutes ago, musky said:

That's what the security checks are for. If they have any reason to think anyone - be it on a fake/touted/stolen ticket, a real one, hospitality or a worker - is anything other than a normal punter then they'll be detained. The ticket checks are an entirely separate thing and for different reasons.

Hundreds of other reasons to be detained as well, but I'm talking about in the current climate simply having a ticket other than your own will get you detained.

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You could well be right - you probably are - but it's not impossible that the old bill might want to play a part in looking at those who are using someone else's ticket. There's different reasons this year for why they might want to take an interest.

What are these "different reasons" you speak of?