Does anyone know of anyone who's been refused entry to Glastonbury?

Vallant

Hey I'm looking to buy someone else's ticket. We've got quite a few similar features (Caucasian, dark hair, bearded, 20s, thicker eyebrows). Obviously I really want to go to Glastonbury this year so happy to fork out, but obviously just wondering if anyone knew of or had experienced someone not getting in? The general arguments seems to be '130k people' vs 'it's gonna be stricter this year'. 

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have in the past seen people be walked over to the main ticket office after having questions over their ticket and whether it's theirs. Unsure whether they managed to convince them it was theirs but I know personally I wouldn't risk it, especially this year with all the increased security measures. It's a huge risk and you have to weigh up whether it would be worth losing the money 

I'd always advise against this because they really are strict if they suspect it isn't you.

I know of somebody who (fortunately) had a legitimate ticket that was him but it was an old photo so they took him away to a cabin for questioning. They question you so much to the point where they will ask you what is your nearest supermarket, how far away is Tesco from your house, you really have to be clued up on not only the person on the ticket but where they live and when they purchased the ticket, and on what browser etc.

Of course you may be fine and get in without any of this but it's food for thought

I lost my ticket whilst going back to the car last year. To get double banded to be able to go back in,  the ticket office looked at my details on computer and asked what the nearest pub and school was to the address. Then then looked at Google earth to cross check. The man at the desk said it is obvious way to see if people are who they say they are and took about 2 minutes. 

In previous years I would have said to go for it, as long as you have a passing resemblance to the photo, you should have a reasonable chance.

this year, however, I can't. I had the opportunity myself but didn't take it because the scrutiny is going to be that much higher. Plus I read in another thread that the ticket inspectors are getting incentives to catch fraudulent tickets. Not sure if it's true but given recent events, it doesn't seem out of the realms of possibility. 

That said, if you approached the situation with enough confidence, that could get you far.

2 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

I lost my ticket whilst going back to the car last year. To get double banded to be able to go back in,  the ticket office looked at my details on computer and asked what the nearest pub and school was to the address. Then then looked at Google earth to cross check. The man at the desk said it is obvious way to see if people are who they say they are and took about 2 minutes. 

I'd be fucked then, there's a school at the end of my road but not having kids I haven't the foggiest what it's called, and I've no idea what the nearest pub is to my house is called, it's not where I drink. Bearing in mind my photo is about 5 years old I better get revising.

Just now, Smeble said:

I'd be fucked then, there's a school at the end of my road but not having kids I haven't the foggiest what it's called, and I've no idea what the nearest pub is to my house is called, it's not where I drink. Bearing in mind my photo is about 5 years old I better get revising.

Fuck revision, buy a pub :D

On a serious note I'd say after events this year it's not getting turned away that's the issue, it's how long they detain you to find out why you are trying to gain access to a ticketed event on a potentially stolen  ticket, and what your motives are and what has happened to the genuine owner, not sure I'd fancy getting caught trying to get into a high profile event on someone else's ticket only a month or so after 2 terrorist attacks.

Just now, Smeble said:

On a serious note I'd say after events this year it's not getting turned away that's the issue, it's how long they detain you to find out why you are trying to gain access to a ticketed event on a potentially stolen  ticket, and what your motives are and what has happened to the genuine owner, not sure I'd fancy getting caught trying to get into a high profile event on someone else's ticket only a month or so after 2 terrorist attacks.

You might even end up being extra ordinarily renditioned to Diego Garcia if you're lucky!

Got asked "who's ticket is this, this is not you mate". I had my driving licence on me so could prove it. Was Tuesday night however and they then refused me entry cause it was a punter ticket. I'd been in "working" that day up SE corner. Had to walk to the next gate and was let in but close call.. 

The first thing they did was ask lots of questions about my details and I had to show photo ID and other cards (bank, work, anything with my name on) then I had to give full details of who bought the ticket, address, bank account the deposit came from, luckily they were with me at the time. Then the whole Google earth questions... A few years ago myself and Mrs left on Sunday morning, two friends came down, we gave them pass-outs, bands and tickets and they both went in no trouble even though they look nothing like us. 

I've always had to show my ID going in. As has my old man. Whether they look at it too closely is another question, and it's possible the address on your ID will be different even on a genuine ticket, but just a word of warning. 

If you're happy to spend the money, then it's probably worth a chance. All the extra security checks may mean they're looking to get people through after the checks as quickly as possible. 

It is always going to be to be a risk though. If it comes off then it's going to be the best weekend of your life. 

5 hours ago, Smeble said:

Why what do you think they'll do if they catch you? Send you to Guantanamo bay? Come on. The worst thing that will happen is they'll say no and the person will lose £240. It's up to the person to take risk. For me the reward outweighs the risk. Go for it. But make sure you do your homework, have other forms of ID, and do what someone else said and set up social media accounts in the name. If you're gonna do it, do it properly!!

If you can take the possible hit on the cash and the disappointment if it fails I'd say go for it. As above the rewards outweigh the risk, but you really need to get another form of i.d and be up to speed on name, address, dob, who paid for the ticket etc. Personally I don't think it will be much stricter at the point of ticket check than it usually is and if you go at a busy time they will be trying to keep things moving as smooth as possible.

6 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Someone also said on another thread about logging in on the persons Facebook app on your iPhone. 

Stay well clear of this idea. Anybody's fb accounts is likely to have many more better quality photos of the person than the one on the ticket!

4 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

Why what do you think they'll do if they catch you? Send you to Guantanamo bay? Come on. The worst thing that will happen is they'll say no and the person will lose £240. It's up to the person to take risk. For me the reward outweighs the risk. Go for it. But make sure you do your homework, have other forms of ID, and do what someone else said and set up social media accounts in the name. If you're gonna do it, do it properly!!

Who said anything about Guantanamo bay? It won't be that extreme but neither will they just send you on your way with a cheery wave, and a pat on the back saying nice try old son. Any security team worth its salt will catch people trying to get in on others tickets and more importantly in the current climate investigate if there are nefarious motives for them trying to get in.

If you can afford to lose the cash I'd say go for it. Other than the money all you've got to lose is a bit of time.

Lots of people get in every year on other peoples tickets, as long as it didn't come from a tout and it's not fake then I don't see the problem. Genuine punter with a genuine ticket, even if it isn't yours.

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Who said anything about Guantanamo bay? It won't be that extreme but neither will they just send you on your way with a cheery wave, and a pat on the back saying nice try old son. Any security team worth its salt will catch people trying to get in on others tickets and more importantly in the current climate investigate if there are nefarious motives for them trying to get in.

Of course they will just send you on your way. Trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket isn't a crime is it. They can't "detain" anyone. Security can refuse entry but if no criminal offence has been committed then that's all they can do. Can you imagine the police saying "you're under arrest for trying to get into Glastonbury on someone else's ticket. You're going to the cells". Ha ha. No chance. As I've already said. Worse case scenario is they'll say the person can't come in. Take the the ticket away and they'll lose £240. No one is getting detained.