Any food & drinks tips for a newbie?

Screeny

Hi there, This will be my first time to Glastonbury. Do any of you experienced Glasto people have any tips for drink & food to take? Don't want to take too much but enough to get us started at least. Bearing in mind it cannot be kept cool, what have you found to be best? Probably taking a single burner so can heat something. Thinking of basic food to fill up in morning and maybe snacks. And wondering about maybe freezing some drink so that it will be chilled when defrosted. Does this work? 

Sooooo excited.......

I normally only bring snacks food wise (cereal bars, crisps etc) as there is some excellent food on site. Drink wise i'd advise to bring cider over beer as it doesn't taste like piss water when warm - although you may already know this if you've been to other festivals. Also bring some spirits (in plastic bottles) for some more fun in the evenings ;)

It really does depend on your budget. 

Food wise: only bring snacks (crisps, breakfast bars, sausage rolls etc) as there's such a large selection of food available on site. If you don't want to spend £6+ every time you eat, bring a gas stove and some tins/pot noodle type things.

Drinks: bring what you can carry, but on site, cider is your friend. At the cider bus you can get 3 pints for £10, whereas a pint of lager is £4.80 from the main bars. You can't buy crates of beer or anything like that on site. 

Have a great time!

Oh and freezing drinks does work but just bear in mind it'll all be ridic heavy. An old camping trick you can do is bring an old towel and soak it in cold water. Wrap your drinks in the cold towel for a bit and they'll be chilled. Or bring a bucket and go fill it with water at a tap once you're set up.  Place your cans in the bucket and they'll chill also :) 

Individually wrapped pain au chocolate / brioche to start the day with a strong coffee made at camp. 

We buy all other food on site as is fab and don't wanna spend time getting back to camp, which always seems to be at least an hour round trip when we end up on the periphery.

First thing in the morning and last thing at night are the key times when you are at your tent.  During the day you can get whatever you want on site.  So I'd go for a decent coffee to start and some drinking chocolate to warm you up and settle before bed.  As for food, go for bread and I strongly recommend a camping toaster,

Image result for camping toaster argos

Lightweight and folds down to the size of a plate and cheap from Argos.  It will go on a single gas burner.  And toast has so many more possibilities than bread.  Toast and marmalade for breakfast, toast and pate etc. etc.

11 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

First thing in the morning and last thing at night are the key times when you are at your tent.  During the day you can get whatever you want on site.  So I'd go for a decent coffee to start and some drinking chocolate to warm you up and settle before bed.  As for food, go for bread and I strongly recommend a camping toaster,

Image result for camping toaster argos

Lightweight and folds down to the size of a plate and cheap from Argos.  It will go on a single gas burner.  And toast has so many more possibilities than bread.  Toast and marmalade for breakfast, toast and pate etc. etc.

A6AE0D39-BFC4-4844-AFC3-76A2D2D885A3-14361-00000E20C07DD93A.jpeg

1 hour ago, rpfranks said:

Oh and freezing drinks does work but just bear in mind it'll all be ridic heavy. An old camping trick you can do is bring an old towel and soak it in cold water. Wrap your drinks in the cold towel for a bit and they'll be chilled. Or bring a bucket and go fill it with water at a tap once you're set up.  Place your cans in the bucket and they'll chill also :) 

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but frozen liquid doesn't weigh more than unfrozen liquid... :blink:

5 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but frozen liquid doesn't weigh more than unfrozen liquid... :blink:

ha ha, no don't worry, I was linking it to my previous comment about bringing what you can carry. I take less beer with me nowadays as it's too heavy to carry and just buy more from the bars.

As others have said don't bother planning to go back to your tent during the day to prep food but I always take stuff for breakfast mainly because I get really hungry/low blood sugar in the morning and can't be bothered to walk to get food and definitely don't want to queuing when I've just woken up. 

In previous year I've taken stuff to make a fry up as I've gone with several people and taken a big super insulted cool box plus a couple of gas stoves. This year I'm on my own so planning on pots of rice pudding, flapjacks and dried fruit plus a tiny alcohol stove for fresh coffee other than that I'll just take a few bags of nuts as they're quite good in terms of size/weight to calorie ratio.