Bar prices

brettredmayne

11 hours ago, Dave_c said:

So here is the question. Is there £8 worth of alcohol in the cocktails, or is it basically 25ml alcohol with some fancy mixers? If it's the latter they can jog on tbh

From (hazy) memory, the Birdcage cocktails were pretty strong. We ended up dancing to 70s disco there for hours in 2015 when Guilty Pleasures had to shut early, and someone kept pulling the ground out from underneath me after I had partaken in a few of their concoctions! 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The post election sterling slump is working wonders for us coming from elsewhere. My Glasto costs are falling rapidly.

Thanks. 

You're welcome?

It's causing me far more expenses. The exchange rate to NZD has gone from $2.45 in Sep 2015 to the current $1.76 of today. it had just started to restabalise before the election as well, but not anymore!

Just in time for my move in a few months.

6 minutes ago, mjsell said:

You're welcome?

It's causing me far more expenses. The exchange rate to NZD has gone from $2.45 in Sep 2015 to the current $1.76 of today. it had just started to restabalise before the election as well, but not anymore!

Just in time for my move in a few months.

Yeah I've a few mates looking to move back from London who plans have been halted at the mo.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Yeah I've a few mates looking to move back from London who plans have been halted at the mo.

It's killer. basically everything I have been saving for the last couple of years have taken a massive hit. Oh well, doesnt change my plans.

I find it funny that following the EU ref it is now far more financially enticing to emigrate to the UK, the topic that was so high on a lot of peoples agenda for voting out.

Yep, you lot should try going out for a drink in Dublin...especially with the current exchange rate....you'd probably have a heart attack when you realise that a double is actually double the price and not just a wee bit more, and that you get charged a whole 3 quid more for the mixer! Less than €5 for a drink...it's basically happy hour all week! 

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The post election sterling slump is working wonders for us coming from elsewhere. My Glasto costs are falling rapidly.

Thanks. 

Seconded. It's come at a good time for me. Compared to this time last year, i'm laughing.

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thanks. 

But you can drink more than us, so it kinda balances out cost-wise. 

I thought things like weights and measures were very strict? I'm not saying bars (like the Beat Hotel) wouldn't unscrupulously put smaller measures of alcohol in, but equally I thought measures of alcohol were standardised and the penalties for not living up to these were very strict?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I thought things like weights and measures were very strict? I'm not saying bars (like the Beat Hotel) wouldn't unscrupulously put smaller measures of alcohol in, but equally I thought measures of alcohol were standardised and the penalties for not living up to these were very strict?

I would imagine the £8 and £8.50 beat hotel cocktails are doubles. so 50ml booze there abouts.

if they are not then it is a scandal. Double spirit and mixer is listed at £7.50 so its pretty safe to assume that the cocktails are also 50ml spirit.

nothing to see here & no controversy!

Fuck me, that cider bus stuff is rough as arseholes. Awful

Surely the answer with cocktails is to buy your e.g bloody mary and top it up with extra vodka you've brought with you in order to make it a proper strength drink. Bottles of rum, vodka and gin will cover most eventualities, while also giving you a proper drink with all the fixings.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They are, if bars are caught flouting it at any event they can be subject to large fines. Im sure I read an article a few years back from a guy who worked for the people who check and enforce this talking about festivals and that they do go all around the different bars on the sites to make sure they are not ripping people off, im sure it was glastonbury the one being mentioned in the article as well, cant find it now though....oh well. but yeah any large event they wouldnt take the risk id think.

49 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

it's the later, obviously. "£8 worth of alcohol" would be a cup of gin, or whatever.

I didn't mean literally £8 of alcohol, but for £8 I would expect no less than a double measure minimum.

14 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Fuck me, that cider bus stuff is rough as arseholes. Awful

Surely the answer with cocktails is to buy your e.g bloody mary and top it up with extra vodka you've brought with you in order to make it a proper strength drink. Bottles of rum, vodka and gin will cover most eventualities, while also giving you a proper drink with all the fixings.

Yeah think I'll be bringing a small quantity of vodka this year for that exact purpose. Enough for an extra shot per day. Bloody Marys really are the biz and are being added to my breakfast menu.

How hot are the Bloody Marys on site? Hope I don't have to bring Tabasco with me too?

Edited by The Nal