Primavera 2018

Runnerups

12 minutes ago, birolehel said:

Thursday (the day he's playing) the Auditori will still be open, so I assume he's still a safe bet there. It's only the Friday and Saturday that the Auditori will be closed.

Ah good spot. In that case will have to go all in on the thursday. Hope Sparks are there too.

I'm going through the spotify playlist and writing notes about each band. Did it last year but didn't finish because once the timings came out, there was someone I wanted to see who I already knew at most times. That definitely won't be the case this year because I'm totally unfamiliar with the music of 90% of the undercard. I can share my notes when I'm finished if anyone is interested, but they are the notes of the philistine who wrote this article

Edited by alansdeepbath
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

As ever, it's the smallprint that will make it great.

Can anyone in the know recommend some of the acts in the smallest font? Particularly if they're good live...

Montero's new album is out next week, would recommend him if you like The Flaming Lips. He's real good live as well.

Sandy Alex G is fantastic live.

Nick Hakim, Yellow Days, Superorganism and Rex Orange County are all must sees for moi out of the small font as well.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'd be surprised if they can fill the new auditorium far from the Forum they are using at c.2pm for a rendition of the not-that-exciting-sounding Stranger Things soundtrack on one day - let alone on two days.

I think you under-estimate how insanely popular that show is, and how widely praised the score is

3 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

I think you under-estimate how insanely popular that show is, and how widely praised the score is

Ah fair enough.

I don't think I'm underestimating though just how few people when it comes to it will effectively want to set off for the festival at about 1pm after probably being up until 2/3/4/5am the night before.

Edited by xxialac

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ah fair enough.

I don't think I'm underestimating though just how few people when it comes to it will effectively want to set off for the festival at about 1pm after probably being up until 2/3/4/5am the night before.

Agree, it does seem very odd not to have that particular show in the Auditori. Presume they haven't released the stage splits in full?

1 minute ago, MickeyJJ said:

Agree, it does seem very odd not to have that particular show in the Auditori. Presume they haven't released the stage splits in full?

Those won’t come for ages. 

The auditori seems to be closed on Friday and Saturday and looks like they will only have the ST show and nothing else indoors on those days

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

What I most miss is some older influential bands beneath the headliners apart from Slowdive... Such as The Replacements, Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, The Undertones, Sebadoh, Mudhoney, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Descendents, The Pop Group, Gang Of Four, The Vaselines, Television...

And garagerock apart from Ty Segall... Such as Together Pangea, Wavves, Black Lips, Royal Headache, White Fang, Oh Sees, White Reaper, The Parrots, Mourn, Cloud Nothings

39 minutes ago, xxialac said:

As ever, it's the smallprint that will make it great.

Can anyone in the know recommend some of the acts in the smallest font? Particularly if they're good live...

Check out the Oblivians - wild garage punk from the mid-90s that put out records on In the Red/Crypt record label. Always killer live - I believe they're playing twice (Saturday and Sunday).

Responses to the lineup are completely subjective, and I think we can all agree that Migos placed so highly is a bizarre booking for Primavera. However in general, personally, I think it's a fantastic lineup. Clearly they are expanding the electronic music programme this year, and in that respect, they have pulled off a lineup to rival the likes of Sonar and Dekmantal. Four Tet, Hunnee, The Black Madonna and Palms Trax are some of the most sought after and forward thinking DJs out there. Then when you consider that this is just a small part of a much more diverse programme of acts, I think it's a brilliant lineup, and I'm absolutely chuffed. But, everybody is entitled to their opinion, they've definitely chosen a  slight change of direction this year and can see why that doesn't flat everybody's boat. 

Everyone talking about whether Arctic Monkeys are a Primavera sort of headliner and Gabi goes and gives Migos top-billing. Brilliantly, classic Primavera ha ha! In terms of the small-print, I'd recommend Confidence Man, Yellow Days, Rex Orange County, Tom Misch, Superorganism, Yonaka and Ross from Friends. 

6 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

Responses to the lineup are completely subjective, and I think we can all agree that Migos placed so highly is a bizarre booking for Primavera. However in general, personally, I think it's a fantastic lineup. Clearly they are expanding the electronic music programme this year, and in that respect, they have pulled off a lineup to rival the likes of Sonar and Dekmantal. Four Tet, Hunnee, The Black Madonna and Palms Trax are some of the most sought after and forward thinking DJs out there. Then when you consider that this is just a small part of a much more diverse programme of acts, I think it's a brilliant lineup, and I'm absolutely chuffed. But, everybody is entitled to their opinion, they've definitely chosen a  slight change of direction this year and can see why that doesn't flat everybody's boat. 

as someone who's been to Dekmantel the last few years, but can't go this year, I'm very happy with the electronic names. I was kind of hoping that Tangerine Dream would be at PS though, after being announced for Dekmantel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

Flicking though Twitter and seeing conflicting things about the spiritualized show. Bit frustrating as I'll fly thur if there's not an excellent chance of seeing that. If its a ballot I wouldn't take my chances I don't think. 

What have you found? Im also flying Thursday and im thinking to change my tickets just for this

All translated. Some people saying its auditori and you need 'credit' but I don't know the reliability of the translation I used. Someone said 'to stay calm it is ok' which I assume is anyone can watch the show. 

Official forum someone suggested VIP have priority access. It is typical primavera this innit. How can it be unclear how to access a show listed on the poster?

2 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

All translated. Some people saying its auditori and you need 'credit' but I don't know the reliability of the translation I used. Someone said 'to stay calm it is ok' which I assume is anyone can watch the show. 

Official forum someone suggested VIP have priority access. It is typical primavera this innit. How can it be unclear how to access a show listed on the poster?

it is definitely Auditori, and only full ticket holder have access (Wednesday is a free day, but not for this).

i just dont know if we need an extra ticket, like previous popular Auditori shows. This will complicate things

1 hour ago, MickeyJJ said:

I'm happy enough with the line up, bit disappointed there's no Yaeji, Oh Sees or Julien Baker but there some nice unexpected surprises like Mogwai and Johan Johannsson

Edited by addicted2noise