Primavera 2018

Runnerups

15 minutes ago, clasher said:

Exclusivity likely, AM doubtful. NOS Alive and Mad Cool will share the headliner yet to be announced, that's as reliable a rumour as it can be. All hints point to that being AM (including Bar Tool basically saying so), I'd be surprised if it was anyone else. None of that of course means AM won't be doing either Prima or Beni for that matter.

Sorry, small typo that changes the my meaning there, should have read "Considering Mad Cool have so many headliners, I wouldn't be surprised if they forfeited exclusivity of AM (allowing them to play Primavera) to save a little $$"

Edited by gregory

3 minutes ago, Johnny Shelby said:

Is it official that Nick Cave will be playing in Barcelona or is there the possibility that it's a NOS Primavera Sound exclusive?

He's been unofficially confirmed by guys in the know, and we all should expect to find him on the poster's top two lines on Monday.

25 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Just a shot in the dark, but could it be that AM plays a special/exclusive set at PS and than more mainstream at Mad Cool? Would fit the 'indie creds' for PS and the cash for MC. 

This won't happen but I think many in this particular thread seem to think of AM as the post-punk revival (or 'lad' rock' if you like) band they were when they burst onto the scene. A lot has changed in the last 13 years. Wherever they end up playing, it won't be a set of songs about getting into clubs in Sheffield and drinking alcopops. It'll be half new music and given their history of changing their style significantly, who knows what we'll get.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I might be in the minority but I'd rather have a strong undercard than a strong set of headliners. The undercard feels like it is taking shape very nicely.

Me too. Although I've pretty much seen everyone I want to see, so not sure what smaller bands would tempt me other than The Feelies, but I can't see that happening ever sadly.

4 minutes ago, Mattd1205 said:

This won't happen but I think many in this particular thread seem to think of AM as the post-punk revival (or 'lad' rock' if you like) band they were when they burst onto the scene. A lot has changed in the last 13 years. Wherever they end up playing, it won't be a set of songs about getting into clubs in Sheffield and drinking alcopops. It'll be half new music and given their history of changing their style significantly, who knows what we'll get.

It's not the music of theirs that is out of place, it's the 'lads on tour' crowd vibe they'd bring. Most of whom would have no clue who 95% of the line up are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I might be in the minority but I'd rather have a strong undercard than a strong set of headliners. The undercard feels like it is taking shape very nicely.

I think the average PS audience is 100 % with you on that. It's nice with some good headliners, but that's not why I go every year. The undercard is best in the world.

Just now, DanLawless said:

Seems about right for who'd be there, but anyone can add bands to events on Lastfm, so might just be a wishlist.

22 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It's not the music of theirs that is out of place, it's the 'lads on tour' crowd vibe they'd bring. Most of whom would have no clue who 95% of the line up are.

Hi all,

First time poster, regular lurker.

I just wanted to say that I find these generalizations really unfair. Music is inclusive, non judgmental , and undiscriminating. I am a 23 year old woman, huge Arctics fan, and regular festival goer.

I am equally as excited by rumors of AM and Vampire Weekend, as I am by Deerhunter, Big Thief, Beck and Bjork. It is possible to enjoy a wide spectrum of music without being a 'lad on tour'. I am, like many people, drawn to the idea of PS by a huge headliner such as Arcade Fire, with the combination of impeccably curated line up of smaller artists

There are in fact - rather a lot of people like me. AM headlining is not going to ruin the festival. It is not going to destroy the festivals' reputation. The festival is not going to be burnt down by beer swigging, British lads abroad. 

Anyway - very excited to see what Monday will bring. And feel a YYYs Wednesday gig is not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Edited by buffy394
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

To be clear: You can draw conclusions about a statistical population without prejudging the invdividual. Very basic statistics.

By the way: My thesis is that Radiohead ruined the audience much more than the Arctic Monkeys could ever do.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see Arctic Monkeys confirmed. Every Primavera visitor should be more than happy about not being "forced" to watch the biggest headliner in the fields of Mordor. And so am I. B)

And last but not least: Welcome on board! ^_^

Edited by slowdive
  • Upvote 1

Just now, boaboaboa said:

When Radiohead played there was a mass exodus to the main stage (like there would be if AM played), I saw Jay Rock with about 50 other people on The Pitchfork stage, it was great. 

Easy to get that delicious 100137th pint of Heineken too

Silver linings for all! 

1 hour ago, Mattd1205 said:

It's true they were a far more lad rock band in their early days (the tour before their debut single was one of the rowdiest gigs I've ever been to) but lost a lot of that crowd by becoming more lyrically vague and sounding more like QOTSA, If I was to guess I think their new album will probably be a more poppier take on the Oh Sees/King Gizzard sound (which who knows  might be pretty good).

Edited by addicted2noise

20 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

When Radiohead played there was a mass exodus to the main stage (like there would be if AM played), I saw Jay Rock with about 50 other people on The Pitchfork stage, it was great. 

Easy to get that delicious 100137th pint of Heineken too

And afterwards that crowd returned from Mordor and didn't give a shit about the rest of the following concerts.

36 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Hi all,

First time poster, regular lurker.

I just wanted to say that I find these generalizations really unfair. Music is inclusive, non judgmental , and undiscriminating. I am a 23 year old woman, huge Arctics fan, and regular festival goer.

I am equally as excited by rumors of AM and Vampire Weekend, as I am by Deerhunter, Big Thief, Beck and Bjork. It is possible to enjoy a wide spectrum of music without being a 'lad on tour'. I am, like many people, drawn to the idea of PS by a huge headliner such as Arcade Fire, with the combination of impeccably curated line up of smaller artists

There are in fact - rather a lot of people like me. AM headlining is not going to ruin the festival. It is not going to destroy the festivals' reputation. The festival is not going to be burnt down by beer swigging, British lads abroad. 

Anyway - very excited to see what Monday will bring. And feel a YYYs Wednesday gig is not beyond the realms pf impossibility.

Well I appreciate your perspective but here's a different one.

I don't think people on here are saying that the festival is going to be 'ruined'  by the kinds of lads-on-tour that want to get blind drunk, dick about and be very loud.

But some of us do think it would 'lessen' the experience for the more considerate festival types.

Arctic Monkeys' fans aren't the worst (perhaps Oasis or Kasabian fans are more rowdy) and of course it would only be a minority that would behave in this way. 

I think all the same it is fair for the kind of music lovers who have been attending Primavera for years, and enjoyed the lack of aggro, to not want aggro to be added to the lineup.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Well I appreciate your perspective but here's a different one.

I don't think people on here are saying that the festival is going to be 'ruined'  by the kinds of lads-on-tour that want to get blind drunk, dick about and be very loud.

But some of us do think it would 'lessen' the experience for the more considerate festival types.

Arctic Monkeys' fans aren't the worst (perhaps Oasis or Kasabian fans are more rowdy) and of course it would only be a minority that would behave in this way. 

I think all the same it is fair for the kind of music lovers who have been attending Primavera for years and enjoyed the lack of aggro that we experience to not want aggro to be added to the lineup.

Hi!

Yes I understand, as I have been to Primavera myself. I understand the level of respect for music that goes hand in hand with many of the attendees.

I feel that the type fan you are talking about will be much more likely to book to see AM when they do their U.K tour, in their respective cities, with their friends. That is of course only referring to U.K fans. I don't think that they would fly all the way to Barca just to see them, when they have no consideration for many other niche acts. 

Anyway, I dont want to start off a huge debate. Appreciate everyone opinions on here. Definitely enjoying the rampant speculation, however it is starting to eat into my work day... 

24 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Hi!

Yes I understand, as I have been to Primavera myself. I understand the level of respect for music that goes hand in hand with many of the attendees.

I feel that the type fan you are talking about will be much more likely to book to see AM when they do their U.K tour, in their respective cities, with their friends. That is of course only referring to U.K fans. I don't think that they would fly all the way to Barca just to see them, when they have no consideration for many other niche acts. 

Anyway, I dont want to start off a huge debate. Appreciate everyone opinions on here. Definitely enjoying the rampant speculation, however it is starting to eat into my work day... 

Stag parties fly all the way to Barca just to get drunk in the sun, so combining with AM only makes it more attractive.

• Upvote 1

On 22.1.2018 at 5:08 PM, clement75009 said:

As a possibility, ever since someone mentioned Paul McCartney, I can't stop thinking about it! That would be a hell of a surprise. 

I didn't know he played festivals, but if he did Werchter, Pinkpop, Roskilde in the past, why not Primavera? He's the godfather of modern pop-rock, Primavera would be proud to have him while he's still in good shape. 

Since we're throwing those big names around, I'm going to throw in another: Page & Plant. They do festivals (saw them in 1995 in Munich - still ranks in my "top 5 concerts ever" list), it's Led Zeppelin's 50th anniversary, new material seems to be coming out and - quote Page: “[2018] will be the 50th year, so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.” (https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/907791/Led-Zeppelin-50th-anniversary-reunion-Robert-Plant-Jimmy-Page) Sorry about the source, but that's the first best thing I found. Wouldn't that tie in nicely with Gabi's announcment of "surprises"? AND it would perfectly explain the surprised faces in the promo/teaser video? (Admittedly, there's the million-dollar-salary to consider... ;)). Well, wishful thinking I suppose, I know a stadium tour (if at all) seems more likely.

By the way, I wouldn't read too much into the design - did we get Bowie when the rocket thingy was going on? Nope - so the beetle might just be a beetle having nothing whatsoever to do with Sir Paul.

Edited by Steph U
  • Upvote 1