Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 minute ago, Orens said:

Nothing on both magazines over the past week, that's the most recent source I got:

EZRA SAID VAMPIRE WEEKEND IS GOING ON TOUR NEXT YEAR IN THE LAST EPISODE OF TIME CRISIS

And he wasn't very specific about touring.

Of course, that could change next week but I find the AM scenario sounds much more reasonable.

Arctic Monkeys is still the frontrunner surely as we know they'll be touring and announcement imminent.

1 minute ago, young_contra said:

I doubt that Gabi has got a big say on who plays and doesn't play at Porto's PS... And they're def headliner material over here. Though as you said afterwards, SBSR may be delaying their announcement on purpose.

Gorillaz won´t play SBSR because they´re playing 2 shows in France that weekend, Nos PS seems to be better fit for them, and they´re playing Sonar.

Benicassim reveals first half of their line up tomoroow, the big rumours are Lana Del Rey, SZA, Brockhampton and Eminem. 

I would really love to see SZA and Brockhampton at PS, big loss for PS.

Just now, maksym26 said:

Gorillaz won´t play SBSR because they´re playing 2 shows in France that weekend, Nos PS seems to be better fit for them, and they´re playing Sonar.

Benicassim reveals first half of their line up tomoroow, the big rumours are Lana Del Rey, SZA, Brockhampton and Eminem. 

FiB reveals it Thursday, sounds like CHVRCHES will also be there.

SZA is touring with Kendrick and Brockhapmton are already playing overlapping US festivals, so both are officially out.

28 minutes ago, puckno said:

Øya has announced four headlining acts to finish on the main stage for each of the four days: Kendrick Lamar, Arcade Fire, Lykke Li and Cezinando (a local rap dude). However there might be added a 'fifth' headliner to play the same night as Arcade Fire after AF, very unconfirmed rumours...

Would be strange. I'm guessing we're getting the three tent headliners within the next two weeks. 

53 minutes ago, Orens said:

Yeah, but I haven't mentioned any rumors. Open'er might not announce Arctic Monkeys but they still have a headliner to go. Primavera's poster is related to a big tour coming up, delaying the reveal. It might be AM, Vampire Weekend, Chance the Rapper, I really don't know. But we'll find out soon.

well no, we don't know that at all.

it may be delays in getting a big one-off act finally signed off.

it may be delays in getting several mid-tier acts signed off.

it may be a delay in getting Bjork signed off.

there could be several reasons for the (very small) delay.

there is nothing to suggest that the poster coming out 1 week later than usual is because of a big tour being announced.

20 minutes ago, Orens said:

FiB reveals it Thursday, sounds like CHVRCHES will also be there.

SZA is touring with Kendrick and Brockhapmton are already playing overlapping US festivals, so both are officially out.

I'm not sure SZA will be on the whole tour with Kendrick, maybe select dates... There were a lot of names on that tour poster.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

there is nothing to suggest that the poster coming out 1 week later than usual is because of a big tour being announced.

No... but the fact that Open Air announcing their final headliner on the same day, when they announced the rest of the lineup last week, clearly indicates they are sharing a headliner- whoever that may be

5 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

No... but the fact that Open Air announcing their final headliner on the same day, when they announced the rest of the lineup last week, clearly indicates they are sharing a headliner- whoever that may be

well no, it doesn't. it indicates that OpenAir had to hold off announcing their final headliner for some reason.

the fact that PS is announcing on the same day could be something (shared act), or absolutely nothing.

6 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well no, it doesn't. it indicates that OpenAir had to hold off announcing their final headliner for some reason.

the fact that PS is announcing on the same day could be something (shared act), or absolutely nothing.

Given that festivals would largely prefer to announce on separate days, to maximize social media/press coverage, it's pretty certain they are sharing a headliner. Who that is? Who knows? Could be Nick Cave or The National

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

History does suggest, as I mentioned several times on this thread: Both Radiohead in 2016 and Arcade Fire/Solange/The xx/Frank Ocean/Bon Iver in 2017 were announced in several different festivals on the same day (although Ocean specifically had dates out the day before, but we're not there yet).

I'm pretty confident that's also happened in 2015 and earlier editions, but honestly - I can't recall which acts were announced back then. It's been a while.

Another festivals gearing up for Monday do suggest that a similar scenario is probably repeating in 2018: PS didn't hold back for Bjork, Nick Cave, The Nat. PS have something up their sleeve that they can't share until the 29th.

1 minute ago, MickeyJJ said:

Given that festivals would largely prefer to announce on separate days, to maximize social media/press coverage, it's pretty certain they are sharing a headliner. Who that is? Who knows? Could be Nick Cave or The National

The National can't play Open'er, as they will attend Aaron Dessner and Justin Vernon's Eaux Claires that weekend. Nick Cave already put out a ton of Euro dates all over June and July, so I'll be surprised to find out festivals were waiting for him.

1 hour ago, MickeyJJ said:

They absolutely won't, he's playing one or the other

I don't t really get the disbelief of them doing both festivals, logistically its not much different to playing a London then Manchester date and they're different enough to warrant it (Primavera for the indie cred and Mad Cool for the money)

Edited by addicted2noise

43 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Would be strange. I'm guessing we're getting the three tent headliners within the next two weeks. 

Yeah, a fifth headliner same day as AF @ Øya would be strange, but following this thread I would not see it unlikely to do something like that if they have a shot at Arctic Monkeys. They had Last Shadow Puppets 2016 and Arctic Monkeys in 2009, thus I guess they would be inclined to jump on an opportunity for AM. If so we will know in a week I guess...

51 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

Where is their second concert? I can only see Lollapalooza on July 21 or 22 and that could work with SBSR, they could play SBSR on 20 and Lollapalooza on 22...
I really want them to come to Portugal :P

11 minutes ago, RM92 said:

Where is their second concert? I can only see Lollapalooza on July 21 or 22 and that could work with SBSR, they could play SBSR on 20 and Lollapalooza on 22...
I really want them to come to Portugal :P

They´re playing Les Vieilles Charrues festival in France on July 21 and Paris on 22 of July, SBSR is 19/20/21 July

1 hour ago, gregory said:

Considering Mad Cool have so many headliners, I wouldn't be surprised if they forfeited exclusivity or AM to save a little $$  

Exclusivity likely, AM doubtful. NOS Alive and Mad Cool will share the headliner yet to be announced, that's as reliable a rumour as it can be. All hints point to that being AM (including Bar Tool basically saying so), I'd be surprised if it was anyone else. None of that of course means AM won't be doing either Prima or Beni for that matter.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Normally Porto is a subset of Barcelona with one or so different mid-tier act and sometimes one different headliner.

Sounds like from Gabi's comment Porto will go a different way i.e. the lineups won't look near-identical.

That's a shame. Porto is great if you love the undercard but aren't too fussed over the headliners. 

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I still feel that AM at primavera is miles out of their usual scheduling style. They make a habit of not booking the british lad bands. I know they aren't really that now but they still have that element and it will bring a crowd with some of that style. It just doesnt seem very primavera at all to me. I also think they will get a fair bitt of backlash if that is what has held back the lineup announcement. The rest of the lineup will have to be very strong indeed.

Yeah I'd be gutted if PS starting going down this road and ruining the festival. Unfortunately when festivals get more popular, the quality of acts starts to decline, but there are enough Radio 1 festivals out there as it is. Let's have one for the alternative market. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

That's a shame. Porto is great if you love the undercard but aren't too fussed over the headliners. 

Yeah I'd be gutted if PS starting going down this road and ruining the festival. Unfortunately when festivals get more popular, the quality of acts starts to decline, but there are enough Radio 1 festivals out there as it is. Let's have one for the alternative market. 

Totally with you. Ironically there is an absolutely massive Radio 1 festival taking place within a week of PS18!