Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 hour ago, Martin_89 said:

Agreed!

If you thinks Mad Cool lineup is so awesome, I don't think Primavera is the perfect festival for you.

So mange acts there have not released a good album for many years. For example: Jack White, Kasabian, MGMT, Franz Ferdinand, Depeche Mode, Justice, Massive Attack etc.

The great thing with Primavera is all the amazing new and relevant acts. Of course they also have some "booring" acts, but that is almost zero. 

This will be my fifth year in row I'm travelling from Norway, and I'm just as hyped as the first year. Gabi will deliver this year, like every year. Just have some patient. 

I'd put an exception on Franz Ferdinand. They are responsible for one of the greatest gigs I've ever witnessed. I like their last album, and both the singles released from their upcoming "Always Ascending" are incredible IMO, right now I consider "Feel The Love Go" as my favourite song in 2018. Don't sleep on them.

All the rest, well, Justice are awesome but didn't put out great material since headlining PS 2012 (the same year as Franz Ferdinand, mind you)

49 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Great point. 

How many bands playing at Mad Cool have released a strong album in the last year? 3? 

To be fair I was a fan of the last Depeche Mode album and quite a few of the acts will probably release something before the festival or at least I'd hope so, I'm not sure I'd be as excited about seeing Tame Impala for example if it was a one off gig without any new material.

6 minutes ago, Orens said:

I'd put an exception on Franz Ferdinand. They are responsible for one of the greatest gigs I've ever witnessed. I like their last album, and both the singles released from their upcoming "Always Ascending" are incredible IMO, right now I consider "Feel The Love Go" as my favourite song in 2018. Don't sleep on them.

All the rest, well, Justice are awesome but didn't put out great material since headlining PS 2012 (the same year as Franz Ferdinand, mind you)

Seen Franz Ferdninand three times. Two times in 2009 - amazing concerts! Last time in 2013 it was pretty meh, the new material didn't really work very good live. The two new songs is okey, but not really anything special.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Great point. 

How many bands playing at Mad Cool have released a strong album in the last year? 3? 

Also: Tame Impala, Sampha, Japandroids, Glass Animals, Nine Inch Nails (EPs) have performed promoting their latest album in PS, so there's no interest in bringing them back already.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Great point. 

tbf i feel like most of the criticism mad cool receives is based on the fact that it's a new festival with loads of money and a fragile reputation rather than based on the actual line up. 

it seems like the primavera goers have a somehow religious view on the festival. if prima books lcd soundsystem and radiohead it's definitely the line up of the year, even if they haven't released a new song in years. if other festivals book acts like nin or tame impala, they are not actual enough, even if they are amazing live acts that have been rarely booked in europe in the last couple of years.

i will give another two examples from today's announcement: eels and wolf alice. prima would definitely receive praise if they'd put them on a main stage slot, but if mad cool puts them on a secondary stage, it passes as a weak undercard.

i won't argue the quality of the festival, it' s definitely one of the top 5 in europe every year, but it looks like people here are not objective at all when giving opinions and i don't get why...

• Upvote 7

Just now, neacaisa said:

tbf i feel like most of the criticism mad cool receives is based on the fact that it's a new festival with loads of money and a fragile reputation rather than based on the actual line up. 

it seems like the primavera goers have a somehow religious view on the festival. if prima books lcd soundsystem and radiohead it's definitely the line up of the year, even if they haven't released a new song in years. if other festivals book acts like nin or tame impala, they are not actual enough, even if they are amazing live acts that have been rarely booked in europe in the last couple of years.

i will give another two examples from today's announcement: eels and wolf alice. prima would definitely receive praise if they'd put them on a main stage slot, but if mad cool puts them on a secondary stage, it passes as a weak undercard.

i won't argue the quality of the festival, it' s definitely one of the top 5 in europe every year, but it looks like people here are not objective at all when giving opinions and i don't get why...

First of all, Mad Cool is supported by Live Nation, which is... good for them, not good for us as live music fans. 

Radiohead has released a new, great album several weeks prior to Primavera Sound, and the reunited LCD Soundsystem were hoping to present a new album in Coachella (now we know it was deeply influenced by the death of David Bowie, among others).  LCD Soundsystem gave the best concert I've ever seen in the BARTS and I will never forget that to Primavera Sound, that's a big time booking. It's worth noting that the undercard is amazing each and every year, also 2016.

I'd hate Wolf Alice in PS because it sounds like a bad fit, but it's a good booking for Mad Cool (although expected, considering the dumb cancellation last year - as they decided to tour US instead of performing there).

16 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

What? Primavera booked Radiohead to play one month after their new album. LCD Soundsystem were booked to play in one of their first gigs back after they had broken up. And on that same bill were an incredibly deep set of other acts - way deeper than Mad Cool. https://www.spin.com/2016/01/primavera-sound-2016-lineup-radiohead-lcd-soundsystem-pj-harvey-tame-impala/

"prima would definitely receive praise if they'd put eels and wolf alice on a main stage slot, but if mad cool puts them on a secondary stage, it passes as a weak undercard." 

Nice straw man argument on that one - slow round of applause.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

yeah, i forgot the release date of a moon shaped pool, but the point still stands. nin/tame impala can release new great music any time. and even without this, they put great live shows. in my book, they are not dated at all and can be prima headliner-level any time.

13 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

I'm with you mate, hums of serious blokes in here. If mad cool booked radiohead everyone would call them lad rock

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

yeah, i forgot the release date of a moon shaped pool, but the point still stands. nin/tame impala can release new great music any time. and even without this, they put great live shows. in my book, they are not dated at all and can be prima headliner-level any time.

Again, you are wrong.

2014 - NIN

2016 - Tame Impala

In fact, I just noted it 1 hour ago on this thread, both have headlined PS with their latest LP.

Look, I LOVE Tame Impala but I've seen them 3 times on the Currents tour, including PS, so I'm not excited by it. They played it on PS, NOS Alive and BBK, it will be more than THREE FUCKING YEARS since Currents, and Kevin Parker said that a new album won't be released at least until 2019. Sorry, I'm not excited by another Currents gig.

Edited by Orens
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, StephenF said:

To be honest..most years I rarely watch ANY of the headliners (Aphex Twin, NMH and Run The Jewels being the only "Musts" in the last few years) and I'd trade qotsa, beck and jack white for just Bjork. The undercard is what does it for me and every year nothing comes close to touching PS. I have seen Mineral conduct a 2000 person sing along to Gloria, Caribou on the rayban at 5am, drive like jehu smash through "Yank Crime", Shellac threaten genocide, Teenage fan club being teenage fanclub and the best Sunday nights I've ever had. Fuck mad cool. :)

I think your post is showing exactly what he's saying. Mineral and Drive Like Jehu released last albums back in the 90s and Shellac and Teenage Fanclub are 25+ years old bands (they release new alums tho) 

Edited by Nicklord

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What? Primavera booked Radiohead to play one month after their new album. LCD Soundsystem were booked to play in one of their first gigs back after they had broken up. And on that same bill were an incredibly deep set of other acts - way deeper than Mad Cool. https://www.spin.com/2016/01/primavera-sound-2016-lineup-radiohead-lcd-soundsystem-pj-harvey-tame-impala/

definitely the line up of the year imo.

last year, not on that level, but still solid.

this year, we'll see.

we will have a better idea when the line up will be dropped. maybe then we can have comparisons, because we will have something to compare. but right now the bash mad cool receives on this thread is not justified imo.

2 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

this year, we'll see.

we will have a better idea when the line up will be dropped. maybe then we can have comparisons, because we will have something to compare. but right now the bash mad cool receives on this thread is not justified imo.

Cool, so go to Mad Cool. We clearly have different opinions on this. I have attended 36 gigs on Primavera Sound 2017 and not even one of those fell short, which is amazing. Overall I think it was a better festival than 2016.

We don't have to agree on this matter, but I can't see a way Mad Cool 2018 can top my PS 2017 experience. That's just my opinion. Please don't tell us what to think or write.

It's actually funny, those rich ass festivals don't need our protection on efests...

20 minutes ago, Orens said:

Again, you are wrong.

2014 - NIN

2016 - Tame Impala

i think you kinda missed the point. my case is not that they would have been necessarily a good fit for prima 2018. my point is that they are certainly solid enough to headline. and maybe they even will in 2019, who knows?

and they are certainly great bookings for mad cool, even without a new album, especially because they don't even headline and they have been a rare appearance in europe lately.

Just now, neacaisa said:

i think you kinda missed the point. my case is not that they would have been necessarily a good fit for prima 2018. my point is that they are certainly solid enough to headline. and maybe they even will in 2019, who knows?

and they are certainly great bookings for mad cool, even without a new album, especially because they don't even headline and they have been a rare appearance in europe lately.

My point was - don't expect PS regulars to get excited by those acts. This is a PS thread. What exactly did you expect?

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

this year, we'll see.

Apart from 'fuck mad cool!' - which in any case was delivered with a smiley - people are not 'bashing' mad cool.

I think most people on here recognise that mad cool has some great acts and is improving every year but they feel primavera is a more rounded experience with greater strength in depth and a more careful curation. It makes some unique bookings every year, has more stages and the auditori provides something different.

I think mad cool is pretty good now. Just not as good as some are saying, the same people are sometimes harshly critical of the Primavera lineup (not released) or Primavera timing (same as every year)

I agree with you that it's better to judge when we have both lineups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If the current Mad Cool lineup was the PS lineup I would be hugely disappointed. Mad Cool has only 75 names. Primavera will have more than twice as much, including a lot more interesting credliners and undercards, the main reason for me attending for my 9th consecutive year. Mad Cool do have some good names in the lineup though. But it is not Primavera.

Edited by puckno
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, puckno said:

If the current Mad Cool lineup was the PS lineup I would be hugely disappointed. Mad Cool has only 75 names. Primavera will have more than twice as much, including a lot more interesting credliners and undercards, the main reason for me attending for my 9th consecutive year. Mad Cool do have some good names in the lineup though. But it is not Primavera.

mad cool will have 130-140 acts too, but i get your point.

anyway, personally, i don't even get why everyone treats mad cool as a competition for prima. i find it more similar to rock werchter (and will probably end up having a similar line up) and odds are that its success will hurt beni and bbk more than prima if we stick only to spanish festivals.