Primavera 2018

Runnerups

4 minutes ago, Orens said:

I heard Arctic Monkeys are announcing this Monday. 

I just use google translate for Gabis Tweets.

Isn't he saying that his followers should buy their tickets now because the rise in price will correspond with the poster release and he gives them the notice one week before this will happen? So earliest next thursday announcement day?

That's why I think no AM for PS. Surely they want them to be confirmed at least at the same time as Mad Cool. Even sharing them is odd.

Edited by Createur

These announcements on a personal twitter account mean nothing, 90% of festival goers I imagine wouldn't know who books the bands.

Line-up announcement out of his hands? On the day Jack White announces for the main competitor... Something smells fishy to me

Edited by boaboaboa

2 minutes ago, Createur said:

Isn't he saying that his followers should buy their tickets now because the rise in price will correspond with the poster release and he gives them the notice one week before this will happen? So earliest next thursday announcement day?

Then why not just say that? Instead of this silly, cryptic game, tweeting about sending DM's to his followers etc. The general customer engagement from Primavera Sound is terrible. I went to the festival in both 2016 and 17, didn't really pay attention to anything they were putting on social media (and loved the festival).Having followed it more closely this year, their approach leaves a huge amount to be desired - no clarity, no consistency, and playing silly games with people who are actually pretty loyal customers. It's not great.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Createur said:

That's why I think no AM for PS. Surely they want them to be confirmed at least at the same time as Mad Cool. Even sharing them is odd.

Is not still only speculation that AM are playing Mad Cool at this point or have I missed something?

Maybe I'm being naive but going off the rumoured Primavera line-up's, it looks to me like it will cost a hell of a lot less than what Mad Cool have put together thus far. Surely Primavera have the budget for a 'big' headliner? I'm a little bias as a big Arctic Monkeys fan but to me, none of these rumoured headline acts at Primavera fall into the bracket of 'big headliners'.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the latest crop of bands/acts who are playing further up festival bills now though..

31 minutes ago, clement75009 said:

What's "pagès" in that context?

EDIT: I see that you also used the translation so you probably don't know better than me. Any Spanish native here?

Catalan

"Yes, I have already delivered the poster. Now it's time for others to announce it. I am now a farmer. "

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Orens said:

Catalan

"Yes, I have already delivered the poster. Now it's time for others to announce it. I am now a farmer. "

Thanks.

Alright let's not read too much into it. What I understand is that the last few weeks finalising a line-up must be very stressful. Now that he's done with it, good or bad (probably good!), it's a relief for him. So now he's going to rest and take care of his lemon tree. And we wait for the good news. 

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is not still only speculation that AM are playing Mad Cool at this point or have I missed something?

Maybe I'm being naive but going off the rumoured Primavera line-up's, it looks to me like it will cost a hell of a lot less than what Mad Cool have put together thus far. Surely Primavera have the budget for a 'big' headliner? I'm a little bias as a big Arctic Monkeys fan but to me, none of these rumoured headline acts at Primavera fall into the bracket of 'big headliners'.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the latest crop of bands/acts who are playing further up festival bills now though..

Kendrick Lamar these days is big budget, big headliner.  Bjork used to be very big budget a few years ago - don't know about know. The National played four nights at Hammersmith Apollo, Nick Cave sold out the O2 recently - again hardly small fry. 

These acts seem broadly consistent with headline acts in previous years.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Kendrick Lamar these days is big budget, big headliner.  Bjork used to be very big budget a few years ago - don't know about know. The National played four nights at Hammersmith Apollo, Nick Cave sold out the O2 recently - again hardly small fry. 

These acts seem broadly consistent with headline acts in previous years.

I think most of the gripes (apart from Kendrick) are that these exact same bands (plus others) are playing a festival in Hackney and were announced in October/ November last year (Around the same time Gabi said on twitter that there are other artist's that would enrich the line-up and that it will be announced mid-January)

So now Gabi posted a photo of his lemon tree, I guess he's really off to being a farmer..

I guess the reason for these tweets is that he probably not the one who manages the PS official tweeter/facebook accounts (probably some PR department) so it's up to them to announce it now- obviously such announcement belongs there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

So now Gabi posted a photo of his lemon tree, I guess he's really off to being a farmer..

I guess the reason for these tweets is that he probably not the one who manages the PS official tweeter/facebook accounts (probably some PR department) so it's up to them to announce it now- obviously such announcement belongs there

Pretty sure the Primavera PR department has had 5 weeks off since that video!

It's unbelievable that there are expressions of unhappiness at the quality of a lineup that is not yet announced. 

Maybe there will be one of two surprises that change people's perspective. Maybe there will be an amazing undercard. If APE stole the march on them in October, and they had some similar headliners, I don't see what they could have done differently. 

If you want certain headliners and another festival that will announce early wants the same headliners, should you abandon them just in order to be different?

And don't understand why some people are wetting their pants at Mad Cool. It's not better than any Primavera poster from this decade. Some great acts, some quite good acts, some very bland acts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, re: Mad Cool the more I look at it the blander it looks. It's also very top heavy. Of course I saw Depeche Mode, QOTSA, and NIN all last year so that colors my perception a bit. 

Of course if you have yet to see most of the big names and/or you've already been to Primavera I can definitely see the appeal of Mad Cool. 

Edited by Friend Chicken

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's unbelievable that there are expressions of unhappiness at the quality of a lineup that is not yet announced. 

Maybe there will be one of two surprises that change people's perspective. Maybe there will be an amazing undercard. If APE stole the march on them in October, and they had some similar headliners, I don't see what they could have done differently. 

If you want certain headliners and another festival that will announce early wants the same headliners, should you abandon them just in order to be different?

And don't understand why some people are wetting their pants at Mad Cool. It's not better than any Primavera poster from this decade. Some great acts, some quite good acts, some very bland acts.

Agreed!

If you thinks Mad Cool lineup is so awesome, I don't think Primavera is the perfect festival for you.

So mange acts there have not released a good album for many years. For example: Jack White, Kasabian, MGMT, Franz Ferdinand, Depeche Mode, Justice, Massive Attack etc.

The great thing with Primavera is all the amazing new and relevant acts. Of course they also have some "booring" acts, but that is almost zero. 

This will be my fifth year in row I'm travelling from Norway, and I'm just as hyped as the first year. Gabi will deliver this year, like every year. Just have some patient. 

• Like 1

Time for a new speculation? This sounds like a more typical PS Band:

The Sea and Cake have announced Any Day, their first new album in 6 years. The ten-song collection is due out May 11 via Thrill Jockey. The band have also shared the title track from the record; check it out below. Any Day is set to feature flute and clarinet from Brian Wilson collaborator Paul Von Mertens. According to a press release, the Sea and Cake will support the album with a tour of U.S. and Europe. Their last LP was 2012’s Runner.

20 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Agreed!

If you thinks Mad Cool lineup is so awesome, I don't think Primavera is the perfect festival for you.

So mange acts there have not released a good album for many years. For example: Jack White, Kasabian, MGMT, Franz Ferdinand, Depeche Mode, Justice, Massive Attack etc.

The great thing with Primavera is all the amazing new and relevant acts. Of course they also have some "booring" acts, but that is almost zero. 

This will be my fifth year in row I'm travelling from Norway, and I'm just as hyped as the first year. Gabi will deliver this year, like every year. Just have some patient. 

Great point. 

How many bands playing at Mad Cool have released a strong album in the last year? 3? 

48 minutes ago, xxialac said:

To be honest..most years I rarely watch ANY of the headliners (Aphex Twin, NMH and Run The Jewels being the only "Musts" in the last few years) and I'd trade qotsa, beck and jack white for just Bjork. The undercard is what does it for me and every year nothing comes close to touching PS. I have seen Mineral conduct a 2000 person sing along to Gloria, Caribou on the rayban at 5am, drive like jehu smash through "Yank Crime", Shellac threaten genocide, Teenage fan club being teenage fanclub and the best Sunday nights I've ever had. Fuck mad cool. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, StephenF said:

To be honest..most years I rarely watch ANY of the headliners (Aphex Twin, NMH and Run The Jewels being the only "Musts" in the last few years) and I'd trade qotsa, beck and jack white for just Bjork. The undercard is what does it for me and every year nothing comes close to touching PS. I have seen Mineral conduct a 2000 person sing along to Gloria, Caribou on the rayban at 5am, drive like jehu smash through "Yank Crime", Shellac threaten genocide, Teenage fan club being teenage fanclub and the best Sunday nights I've ever had. Fuck mad cool. :)

You've made me feel quite teary and nostalgic. 

That's a beautiful post, man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This will be my first Primavera (and indeed first festival abroad) and I can't wait. If it is indeed Bjork, Nick Cave and The National headlining I couldn't ask for better - all three are great live. I trust Primavera will offer a lineup with plenty of interesting artists and that's all I ask for.

The festival can't come soon enough and the line-up - whatever it contains - will be a bonus :)

If you go to Primavera for the headliners, then you're going to the wrong festival. The joy of Primavera is skipping between the other stages and getting your mind blown by amazing stuff that you never saw before while everyone else is doing the boring thing of hanging out in Mordor. Every year I see fantastic stuff, and the bands I *don't* see are still better than any other festival lineup. Got my tickets, got my flights, got my place to stay, it's all good, couldn't give a damn about this band or that band not being there, whoever's there will give me a great time.

Just chill out.

• Upvote 1