Primavera 2018

Runnerups

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I think Jack White is one of the greatest live acts currently active. His latest albums are not as good as the White Stripes ones, but his shows have remained stellar.   

I'm bummed right now. I would be surprised if the lineup for PS is as good as Mad Cool and I regret having bought my ticket early for PS.

I'll probably feel better when the PS lineup is revealed. 

• Upvote 1

Not trying to trash anyone, but Jack White's new songs made sure he's fit to participate as a Mad Cool headliner, along with Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode and previous editions headliners. Legacy headliners are fine as long as it's marginal, but I think relevant artists should be prioritized. That's not the case in Mad Cool, and hasn't been this way in past editions (Foo Fighters, Green Day, Kings of Leon in 2017; The Who, The Prodigy, Neil Young in 2016).

8 minutes ago, Orens said:

Not trying to trash anyone, but Jack White's new songs made sure he's fit to participate as a Mad Cool headliner, along with Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode and previous editions headliners. Legacy headliners are fine as long as it's marginal, but I think relevant artists should be prioritized. That's not the case in Mad Cool, and hasn't been this way in past editions (Foo Fighters, Green Day, Kings of Leon in 2017; The Who, The Prodigy, Neil Young in 2016).

HOW DARE YOU?!

Nah, just kidding. That is very fair. From what we can deduce so far, Primavera are sticking to that cult edge. Jack white is definitely worthy of headlining whatever festival but he definitely fits more on the Mad Cool bill.

However, if we do get AM for Primavera I'll be a little confused. Please keep the beer lads as far away from Barcelona as possible.

Edited by Gnarler
I can't spell

34 minutes ago, James96 said:

I think the killing blow for Primavera 2018 (if the line up is acts such as Bjork, The National, Beck) is that they've all be announced for APE anyway. If the line up is similar to APE this year then hopefully Primavera 2019 can offer some diversity to make me want to attend.

This is my biggest qualm at the moment... If it's NOT Arctic Monkeys and/ or Kendrick... Who's the surprise going to be? Arcade Fire, XX, and Frank Ocean are all 'bigger' names (with the exception of Bjork and perhaps Nick Cave [cult status of both obviously higher]) than any of the acts getting thrown around at the moment.

With Sonar stepping it's game up this year, and Mad Cool seeming to have a magic money tree, I'm anxious/ looking forward to seeing what Primavera come up with

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

HOW DARE YOU?!

Nah, just kidding. That is very fair. From what we can deduce so far, Primavera are sticking to that cult edge. Jack white is definitely worthy of headlining whatever festival but he definitely fits more on the Mad Cool bill.

However, if we do get AM for Primavera I'll be a little confused. Please keep the beer lads as far away from Barcelona as possible.

IMO, Primavera offers a good balance. They brought Neil Young and Radiohead (which were very much relevant) and stuff like Van Morrison, Brian Wilson and Grace Jones, but also very cult edge as you called it.

Gabi was asked in the Azkena AMA what's the act they couldn't book before it got too big, and they regret about it the most (I'm not sure about the accurate wording but something along those lines). His answer was Arctic Monkeys.

I'm not sure they've gone that way, or whether I'll go watch the gig (I've seen them perform poorly in Werchter 2014), but I'll be excited for my friends who are really into them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Orens said:

IMO, Primavera offers a good balance. They brought Neil Young and Radiohead (which were very much relevant) and stuff like Van Morrison, Brian Wilson and Grace Jones, but also very cult edge as you called it.

Gabi was asked in the Azkena AMA what's the act they couldn't book before it got too big, and they regret about it the most (I'm not sure about the accurate wording but something along those lines). His answer was Arctic Monkeys.

I'm not sure they've gone that way, or whether I'll go watch the gig (I've seen them perform poorly in Werchter 2014), but I'll be excited for my friends who are really into them.

Would definitely enjoy AM too, don't get me wrong. I just fear Primavera becoming a right of passage for 17-year-olds like R&L has.

27 minutes ago, Orens said:

relevant artists like beck and bjork? when was their last hit song really?

i don't agree at all with this opinion. imo it's very hard for new artists to achieve headliner status nowadays and that's why every single festival books the so-called legacy headliners.  it's true that primavera is one of the freshest big festivals in europe, but they still rely A LOT on the established acts.

Edited by neacaisa
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

This is my biggest qualm at the moment... If it's NOT Arctic Monkeys and/ or Kendrick... Who's the surprise going to be? Arcade Fire, XX, and Frank Ocean are all 'bigger' names (with the exception of Bjork and perhaps Nick Cave [cult status of both obviously higher]) than any of the acts getting thrown around at the moment.

I'm not really expecting there to be one.

That list u mentioned is interesting because you could argue that AF, the xx and Frank Ocean had difficult/tumultuous years. Everything Now was widely panned by fans and critics and has resulted in many of their US shows not selling particularity well. I don't think the xx's new album really made much of an impact and then ofc Frank Ocean's busy 2017 ended up with multiple cancellations and angry fans.

It's easy to look at those acts as good/current bookings but in my eyes Frank Ocean is the only one with the wow factor, and he probably wouldn't even show up. Whilst all this doesn't necessarily have impact/reflect on PS's booking policy, i do think its interesting this precedent that is placed on ''bigger'' names.  I'd always have Nick Cave over the xx, arcade fire, frank ocean, jack white etc.

Edited by rhg_99

Just now, neacaisa said:

relevant artists like beck and bjork? when was their last hit song really?

i don't agree at all with this opinion. imo it's very hard for new artists to achieve headliner status nowadays and that's why every single festival books the so-called legacy headliners.  it's true that primavera is one of the freshest festivals in europe, but they still rely A LOT on the established acts.

It's not going to be all Beck and Bjork (if at all). Bjork was balanced in the 2012 lineup and will be balanced nowadays. There are legacy headliners, but it's not all about them. In Mad Cool, a relatively new festival, it definitely is.

4 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

That list u mentioned is interesting because you could argue that AF, the xx and Frank Ocean had difficult/tumultuous years. Everything Now was widely panned by fans and critics and has resulted in many of their US shows not selling particularity well. I don't think the xx's new album really made much of an impact and then ofc Frank Ocean's busy 2017 ended up with multiple cancellations and angry fans.

It's easy to look at those acts as good/current bookings but in my eyes Frank Ocean is the only one with the wow factor, and he probably wouldn't even show up. Whilst all this doesn't necessarily have impact on PS's booking policy, i do think its interesting this precedent that is placed on ''bigger'' names.  I'd always have Nick Cave over the xx, arcade fire, frank ocean, jack white etc.

We had a great experience with Arcade Fire's gigs and the surprise was incredible. Anything that happened after PS17 is beyond the festival's control.

PS took a risk with Frank Ocean (based on his cancellations history) and it cost all of us. Gabi has noted they are being more careful this time around, and that's one of the reasons for postponing the announcement to January.

33 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

I just fear Primavera becoming a right of passage for 17-year-olds like R&L has.

Thankfully that is probably a positive for the late-ish announcements. It is likely too late for 17/18 year olds to afford flights and accomm for a half term holiday. Reading and Leeds don't have the accommodation cost on top, because the kids just take their parents' tents

Edited by alansdeepbath

Just now, MickeyJJ said:

This one is just utterly bizarre 

Gabi.jpg

A poster is imminent. Remember last year's announcement? On November 29th they published January 20th, January 13th, January 4th, December 26th, then started a 12-hour countdown. When was the last time they published the announcement date? He just gave the warning, and told us it was fair.

2 minutes ago, clement75009 said:

I got a bad feeling about this. He's saying his work is done but doesn't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Meanwhile Consequence of Sound sums up my feelings perfectly about Mad Cool (sorry to be a downer, I know I'll have a great time at PS in any case)

Screenshot 2018-01-18 16.24.50.png

So you should go to Mad Cool :)

1 minute ago, Orens said:

A poster is imminent. Remember last year's announcement? On November 29th they published January 20th, January 13th, January 4th, December 26th, then started a 12-hour countdown. When was the last time they published the announcement date? He just gave the warning, and told us it was fair.

So you should go to Mad Cool :)

Well said