Primavera 2018

Runnerups

21 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Fleetwood Mac cost enormous money according to most reports. I think they'd be far out of Primavera's budget. not sure they're even touring again yet?

they'll do their own shows with tickets costing €100+.

They have a concert in some days in NY, but yes, you re right, i guess they are too expensive for European festivals (they played Isle of Wight 2015 though).

edit: not  exactly a concert. it ll be a tribute, but they will play as well in the end

Edited by cortomaltese

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the only way i'd react like them, is if there was something completely bizarre and unexpected, like Tupac not being dead, or a Smiths reunion or something.

but that's because I'm sitting in an office in a cold, wet country on a Wednesday afternoon....

if I was brought to Barcelona and given several drinks and had a camera on me, I'd probably be delighted that The National or Bjork were on there, even though if I saw the actual lineup right now, they'd barely raise more than a smile.

not to talk about the video itself or whatever they were watching. it could be a really nice video, like funny or done in a way that would make people react that way. there are a bunch of things that could be involved.

the only thing about the promo video was, for me, when they showed it i really really thought that they were going to announce the line up right after some days. 

and again, i think people can feel "tricked", as i said before already, in the sense that it makes people think that the line up is ready for a long time and they dont announce it to the public, only to some random 10 guys.

8 minutes ago, bananaa52 said:

not to talk about the video itself or whatever they were watching. it could be a really nice video, like funny or done in a way that would make people react that way. there are a bunch of things that could be involved.

the only thing about the promo video was, for me, when they showed it i really really thought that they were going to announce the line up right after some days. 

and again, i think people can feel "tricked", as i said before already, in the sense that it makes people think that the line up is ready for a long time and they dont announce it to the public, only to some random 10 guys.

Would be great if we get to see the actual promo videos they were shown. Guess they will drop it all at once and not spread over the day in multiple videos. Just present us a funny video and the poster later, for the suspense. 

How about Lil Wayne as the surprise package.

He's doing a festival in the US

I agree there is nothing in the rumors that would make me pull any surprised faces. Is this dragging it out ploy, putting more punters off than it is beneficial. Is it just time to announce it already.

Edited by jonnyx

11 minutes ago, Orens said:

Not PS material. 

The same reason I'm confused about everyone saying Migos are likely to play.

59 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Jawbreaker (EU exclsuive)

Not a bad shout with the release of the film, and them playing shows in the states... I'm excited!

----

The video I guess you could argue worked, as we're all talking about it!

One thing it does lack, is any kind of follow up, snippets, extensions over social, or any relation to any other marketing activity to the festival, which does lead me to believe that they're struggling with the line-up/ loosing acts/ competing with Mad Cool (that seem to have a bottomless pocket of cash) etc.

The tagline "THIS is a line up" is going to narc off loads of people because as we all know, it's totally subjective.  Though there HAS to be some surprises, and Bjork, Beck and The National aren't going to cut it for MOST people who are booking tickets based on headliners...

42 minutes ago, cortomaltese said:

Apart from this, i'm definitely sure that there will be surprises (also in the headliners). Like every year. Who was expecting Grace Jones, Van Morrison and Slayer last year? Very few I guess, at least not me.

I think there will be a few... Slayer last year for me were the "WTF, awesome" moment for me. Some acts wont be on the circuit yet as they're embargoed for other festivals, hopefully where we'll see the Chance The Rappers, etc. There's still Field Day and Lovebox to announce in the UK alone that book a diverse range of PS style acts too.

Edited by boaboaboa

The success of the campaign can only be judged once we see the lineup. I totally agree that the reactions can't be 'trusted' as they are participating in a promo campaign which will be edited to suit the needs of the promoter. However, what the campaign does is set a level of expectation that in turn needs to be matched. If you create a video which implies the lineup is full of genuine 'Wow' moments, then you have to deliver a lineup that matches those expectations. Setting realistic expectations for what the announcement can deliver is pretty crucial, and a basic principle of advertising/promotion. We all know the lineup will be packed full of quality, but the video sets a certain level of expectation that it's incredibly difficult to meet. It's a really risky strategy, and sadly, one which won't pay off unless there's an element of shock in the lineup, however good it really is. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

The success of the campaign can only be judged once we see the lineup. I totally agree that the reactions can't be 'trusted' as they are participating in a promo campaign which will be edited to suit the needs of the promoter. However, what the campaign does is set a level of expectation that in turn needs to be matched. If you create a video which implies the lineup is full of genuine 'Wow' moments, then you have to deliver a lineup that matches those expectations. Setting realistic expectations for what the announcement can deliver is pretty crucial, and a basic principle of advertising/promotion. We all know the lineup will be packed full of quality, but the video sets a certain level of expectation that it's incredibly difficult to meet. It's a really risky strategy, and sadly, one which won't pay off unless there's an element of shock in the lineup, however good it really is. 

Thanks this is exactly what i wanted to say it feels like a really big gamble! So I really wish they know what they are doing.

We're reaching peak hissy fit on twitter now:

"Even August festivals are announcing their line-ups and the PS18 is happening in just 4 months! Something's gone terribly wrong.."

4 and a half months to go & the same timing of the release of the main lineup as every single year since the start of the decade bar one.,.

37 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

Mad Cool just teased Arctic Monkeys at their Facebook, probably are going to confirm them tomoroow, so they´re officially out of Primavera.

Back to the drawing board about surprise acts then! Unless Primavera announce tomorrow too, it is a Thursday after all...

Edited by boaboaboa

3 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

Back to the drawing board about surprise acts then! Unless Primavera announce tomorrow too, it is a Thursday after all...

They can't announce tomorrow. They've said there will be a pre-warning of a few days on the announcements, which will presumably encourage a few more ticket sales.

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

They can't announce tomorrow. They've said there will be a pre-warning of a few days on the announcements, which will presumably encourage a few more ticket sales.

Indeed, though I'm not sure they've ever done this before (especially re: last year, was totally out of the blue) and we all know not to trust Gabi, even if he is in the middle of a Twitter storm

1 minute ago, boaboaboa said:

Indeed, though I'm not sure they've ever done this before (especially re: last year, was totally out of the blue) and we all know not to trust Gabi, even if he is in the middle of a Twitter storm

Also, didn’t they miss the big Frank Ocean announcement by a bit last year? Pretty sure he was announced for a bunch of festivals one week, and then Primavera announced the following?

Just a reminder: Mad Cool teased the location of Seattle, made people think they are about to announce Pearl Jam, only to announce Fleet Foxes. Then they teased 10, possibly referencing the "Ten" album, before announcing 10 new bands.

By the way, the tweet was just removed.

2 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

It's not something he'd mess people around with. Am sure there will be a date put forward in advance this year.

One thing to remember when we see the lineup is that some pretty significant stuff will be held back for surprises.

For 2017 we had Mogwai, Haim, Algiers and Arcade Fire secret set. 

I'd expect even better on quantity and maybe quality too this year. 

1 minute ago, sgreen7643 said:

Also, didn’t they miss the big Frank Ocean announcement by a bit last year? Pretty sure he was announced for a bunch of festivals one week, and then Primavera announced the following?

I thought Primavera were the scoop, then he was announced for others?

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I thought the rumor was they're playing both festivals?

If they announce Mad Cool (which they will based on the above), I cant see Primavera having sloppy seconds on something that's quite a big deal...