Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, cos promoters ring up festival websites all the time, just for fun.

Particularly the ones with small traffic. :P

I mean no, that's not the case. It was just ironic that the day someone tells me that nobody takes me seriously is the same day that I actually do have a 30-minute call with a festival promoter. I'm writing a detailed story on American spring festival lineups and had a previous history with this promoter in particular so he was down to talk to me.

Don't worry, I'll shoot you the link to the story when it's up!

I'm starting to think Childish Gambino/ Chance The Rapper etc could be a good shout for a main stage appearance (echoing bookings like Frank Ocean/ RTJ last year) as it seems Anderson Paak is over in the states for a prolonged period now (though easier for a hip-hop artist to travel for one off shows than a band I imagine with crew/ ket etc).

9 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

(though easier for a hip-hop artist to travel for one off shows than a band I imagine with crew/ ket etc).

Anderson paak has a full live backing band so would be the same as moving a rock band. Not too hard to get ket on to a plane, but suppose you would have to allow for more delays and hassle at customs

5 hours ago, Parcas said:

It bothers me a lot the video they released with people reacting to the lineup, the reactions of the people are totally misleading...

when you try to put the realistic line up that the festival can have it comes out solid but nothing mind-blowing. Either there is some big name not revealed on other festivals or having bjork, the national, Kendrick... does not justify those reactions 

Depends. To a lot of people, including me, Arctic Monkeys making their comeback and headlining is huge and I think I'd have lost my shit if I saw a video confirming they were headlining 

Flow Festival (August in Finland) will also announce its first confirmed acts on Monday, Jan. 22nd, not just St. Gallen.

In 2017 Flow and PS shared 3 headliners in Aphex Twin, Frank Ocean, The xx, along with plenty of other bands (and Moderat also headlined after closing the Mordor on 2016). In 2016 both fests shared The Last Shadow Puppets, among others.

I'm placing my bet on Monday.

5 hours ago, Parcas said:

It bothers me a lot the video they released with people reacting to the lineup, the reactions of the people are totally misleading...

when you try to put the realistic line up that the festival can have it comes out solid but nothing mind-blowing. Either there is some big name not revealed on other festivals or having bjork, the national, Kendrick... does not justify those reactions 

So It seems that the only thing that could make people react like that is Daft Punk? Have you seen Kendrick Lamar live? His show is fucking mind blowing and it gets better every tour. Also a Björk show is the definition of everything that's not average.

And wether you like it or not Arctic Monkeys are a huge band, and yes, they would make people react like that. 

Edited by strackoftracknfield

Chance the Rapper has appeared on the Summer Sonic poster (about a week after Flow in Japan), and I believe he was supposed to play in Flow last year but had to cancel/postpone it.

I guess there's a chance he's the one we've been waiting for.

Edited by Orens

Justicefordave is spot on - it's a promo. What product do you consume that doesn't have advertising that exaggerates its benefits?

And in any case  I find it extraordinary that a potential line up of bjork, beck, the national, kendrick lamar, lorde, nick cave, chance the rapper, my bloody valentine,  brian ferry, deerhunter , grizzly bear, vince staples and the same extraordinary undercard we get every year is seen as not enough to provoke a very good response..

Bjork, Beck, Nick Cave - these names are the stuff of legend and the first two have never played the festival. Kendrick Lamar if he comes is surely one of the msot in-demand names anywhere. Yes, an announcement of most of those names might not be a 'surprise' because of the sleuthing on here but that doesn't make it anything other than very strong.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, strackoftracknfield said:

Have you seen Kendrick Lamar live? His show is fucking mind blowing and it gets better every tour.

I've seen him 3 times and his show gets worse and worse IMO.

best was him and a DJ in a small/mid sized venue after GKMC came out.

seen him twice at big gigs with full band and both were just OK. they way he has changed the arrangements for lots of songs to suit the band is really annoying.

43 minutes ago, strackoftracknfield said:

So It seems that the only thing that could make people react like that is Daft Punk? Have you seen Kendrick Lamar live? His show is fucking mind blowing and it gets better every tour. Also a Björk show is the definition of everything that's not average.

And wether you like it or not Arctic Monkeys are a huge band, and yes, they would make people react like that. 

I have seen Kendrik Lamar live two times when he has played in Barcelona yeah it is a great addon but i do not really feel is like a big deal but well opinions. 

Artic Monkeys is a big deal as a surprise i agree. But anyway the video seems like the lineup is completely mindblowing it feels like or there is something really unexpected or false advertisement.

8 minutes ago, Parcas said:

But anyway the video seems like the lineup is completely mindblowing it feels like or there is something really unexpected or false advertisement.

All adverts are 'false'. When you see an advertisement for yoghurt in which the person eating it is surrounded by the most perfect family life and she dips her spoon into the pot and brings it to her lips like that 50 cent product is the tastiest, most pleasurable that has ever existed in humankind, are you swearing at the screen and promising never to eat that yoghurt again?

Edited by xxialac
  • Like 1

Though I agree the video is just a way to promote it and it's probably acted and such.... Arctic Monkeys touring next summer was something everyone expected for mooooonths. So, not that big o a surprise.

And I guess if you're willing to see the Primavera line up so badly, you're probably following some rumours on the internet as well.

For example I would go 'loco' for a name such as John Frusciante. Or a Replacements reunion (imagining that didn't happened yet) or a Weakerthans reunion or just an unexpected name such as Meat Puppets, Jawbreaker (EU exclsuive), Mars Volta reunion would give me a huge smile as well.

And those names aren't headliners at all. So I'm just saying the reactions on a lineup are very personal and doesn't have to be about headliners!

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

All adverts are 'false'. When you see an advertisement for yoghurt in which the person eating it is surrounded by the most perfect family life and she dips her spoon into the pot and brings it to her lips like that 50 cent product is the tastiest, most pleasurable that has ever existed in humankind, are you swearing at the screen and promising never to eat that yoghurt again?

Yeah but is a video about real people seeing the lineup so is not actors simulating the reactions so I do expect some true. Also we do not have much more to speculate on so it was also more to introduce the idea of something really mindblowing not revealed yet on other festivals...

The lineup is solid but so it was last year, mindblowing was Neutral mil Hotel playing i meant something like that.

i truly think all of the reactions are genuine. the only thing they could have done is editing and filming to underline the best reactions. even if there is no surprise in the line up selections, there could still be a bjork or beck fan that is genuinely impressed by the video. AM would have certainly provoke surprise reactions (they were not expected until that leak a few days ago)

and not even all of those people seemed particularly impressed, even after all the editing.

• Upvote 1

I think we all hate the video by now!!

I think one reason for some of the reactions in the video would be Thom Yorke. Radiohead are Gods for the PS crowd. Unfortunately, speaking as a massive Radiohead fan myself, Thom Yorke solo is nowhere near as good as the whole band. So that's a name that looks better on paper (or on that video) than in real life. 

I think we should not pay much attention to the video, mostly because we don't know the people who participated. Some people get easily excited, some people not. Also, it is a matter of experience. When PS announced Arcade Fire in 2014, for me it was huge. When PS announced the same band last year, i didn't care at all.

Apart from this, i'm definitely sure that there will be surprises (also in the headliners). Like every year. Who was expecting Grace Jones, Van Morrison and Slayer last year? Very few I guess, at least not me.

And a question if someone knows.. Not a fan, but there was some speculation about Fleetwood Mac, but not anymore. We ruled them out for a reason?

• Like 1

the only way i'd react like them, is if there was something completely bizarre and unexpected, like Tupac not being dead, or a Smiths reunion or something.

but that's because I'm sitting in an office in a cold, wet country on a Wednesday afternoon....

if I was brought to Barcelona and given several drinks and had a camera on me, I'd probably be delighted that The National or Bjork were on there, even though if I saw the actual lineup right now, they'd barely raise more than a smile.

4 minutes ago, cortomaltese said:

And a question if someone knows.. Not a fan, but there was some speculation about Fleetwood Mac, but not anymore. We ruled them out for a reason?

Fleetwood Mac cost enormous money according to most reports. I think they'd be far out of Primavera's budget. not sure they're even touring again yet?

they'll do their own shows with tickets costing €100+.