Primavera 2018

Runnerups

2 hours ago, Ecco said:

Talking about surprises...

Anybody thought about Tom Waits? Maybe a new album followed by a tour.

Sadly next to zero chance of Tom Waits. He Is very particular about sound and room acoustics and tends to play the same venues like grand rex in Paris, Edinburgh playhouse and Hammersmith  on different tours. 

I can't see him playing an open air show and way too popular for the auditorium.

He did Phoenix park in Dublin but was a tent not open air. And i think was purpose built. 

I agree with him too, would definitely lose the magic in the wind. 

A  indoor pre festival show in Spain would be perfect :wub:

4 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

Sadly next to zero chance of Tom Waits. He Is very particular about sound and room acoustics and tends to play the same venues like grand rex in Paris, Edinburgh playhouse and Hammersmith  on different tours. 

I can't see him playing an open air show and way too popular for the auditorium.

He did Phoenix park in Dublin but was a tent not open air. And i think was purpose built. 

I agree with him too, would definitely lose the magic in the wind. 

A  indoor pre festival show in Spain would be perfect :wub:

I don't think he's too popular for the auditori. It's massive, perfect for him acoustic-wise and it could be ticketed.

That said, he hasn't toured in years. It's still highly unlikely.

• Upvote 1

Just having a quick look through Twitter, and the organizers are being hit with a lot of the negativity, about the delayed lineup announcement (aware it's not really delayed, but we live in an impatient world). You'd think they need to at least provide a date this week for the sake of customer relations. 

Just now, MickeyJJ said:

Just having a quick look through Twitter, and the organizers are being hit with a lot of the negativity, about the delayed lineup announcement (aware it's not really delayed, but we live in an impatient world). You'd think they need to at least provide a date this week for the sake of customer relations. 

or even better, maybe people should just stop acting like children and exercise some patience

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

or even better, maybe people should just stop acting like children and exercise some patience

100% this comment.

The lineup timing is in line with the release of 7 of the last 8 years and yet there's a lot of toys being thrown out of prams.

It's 135 days away ferchristsake. 

Eagerness is understandable but there's no need to be a dick about it.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

100% this comment.

The lineup timing is in line with the release of 7 of the last 8 years and yet there's a lot of toys being thrown out of prams.

It's 135 days away ferchristsake. 

Eagerness is understandable but there's no need to be a dick about it.

I don’t think people are acting like children necessarily. There’s a lot of people waiting to see the line-up before deciding whether to go or not, which at £190 Euros a ticket, is fair enough. For those people, flights and accommodation are rising daily,  so I understand why they would like the announcement sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

I don’t think people are acting like children necessarily. There’s a lot of people waiting to see the line-up before deciding whether to go or not, which at £190 Euros a ticket, is fair enough. For those people, flights and accommodation are rising daily,  so I understand why they would like the announcement sooner rather than later.

i still feel that having them showing a video where people supposedly see the line up like one month ago makes people more impatient. something like "those 10 random guys saw the line up so why dont you announce the line up to the others??"

7 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

I understand wanting to know the line up and book flights etc earlier but frankly its not up to them, it's not as if this year the line-up is coming substantially later than the years before. It's the same with lots of festival, for example Reading and Leeds this year. I dunno why some people expect to get what  they want, I would never send negativity towards Gabi etc because what's the point? People act like spoilt children on christmas eve. Everyone needs to just chill out and have faith in the organisers, it'll be worth the wait

Edited by rhg_99

My dream of a festival is a festival without headliners, only having credliners, where you can trust the festival is so well curated that it get sold out before even announcing a single name. For me Primavera is the closest I get. So my apologies, I wont cry for those sitting on the fence waiting for headliners.

Edited by puckno
  • Like 1

Aree with Bananaa's point to some extent - though that is the nature of all marketing. They're in business and this helps them make the business a success.

That's no different to a million other things. Film trailers are released months in advance of the film, even though the film is ready.  Builds demand.

I could understand to a degree if Primavera were very slow to release their lineup relative to other festivals.

They're not. 4 and a bit months is pretty standard. Earlier than some, later than others. Glastonbury, Coachella etc announce theirs with a lot less notice.

And maybe they're holding on someone who contractually they are restricted from announcing?

Edited by xxialac

34 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

I think people tweeting to his personal account is a bit over the top but can certainly see the frustration alright. For me personally the chances of going have decreased the longer we have been waiting as flights and accommodation are getting more expensive as you said. I also think the teaser video was a failure in hindsight, it would need to be a hell of a lineup with lot's of surprises to make anyone react that way and you would think the more festivals that get announced prior to Primavera, the less surprises there will be on the lineup.

Unless you live in Spain, booking your tickets and flights etc before the lineup is announced is a major risk considering the money involved. The line up will be good but is it justifiable spending €600(ish) on flights, tickets, accomm when you don't know who is playing?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, puckno said:

My dream of a festival is a festival without headliners, only having credliners, where you can trust the festival is so well curated that it get sold out before even announcing a single name. For me Primavera is the closest I get. So my apologies, I wont cry for those sitting on the fence waiting for headliners.

To be honest I don't really know who headlined previous years. It's not like they're the last band on the main stage like at other festivals. in fact Mordor has two main stages.

I thought Neutral Milk Hotel were the headliners in 2015 after they were announced with a fanfare before Nick Cave's show the year before. And to me they were the most anticipated band. But in the end they only played the ATP, can't remember who the actual headliners were. 

My partner always has to choose her days off from work for the entire year before january ...

That really sucks knowing that I love to go to a lot of festivals, but I prefer to know a bit of the lineup before buying expensive tickets!

So it's not always childish impatience, for some people it's just super annoying and they can't go for years in a row because of that!

Edited by Boss89
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the festival sells out, then the teaser video wasn't a failure. Time will tell.

In any case you do know broadly who is playing. Some kind soul on here has very helpfully been keeping a spreadsheet of highly likely bands. It won't be dramatically different.

Check that and if it's not your thing, save your money.

Found it. All credit for the work to someone else on here - possibly Slowdive.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rLVoPmmMs9J5G3x3Fh8TFrOJ7UCxCr_5kYnXAL-G-MY/edit#heading=h.a9do7yf8bfyy

Do you like the bands in blue? Are you happy if half of the bands in black are joining and don't mind that the bands in red won't be there? 

If yes, then go for it!

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Jack White just announced a huge tour with shows in the US in May and June. There is a gap between 5/29 and 6/4 though... 

He also will headline Governor´s ball from June 1-3 so now I think that he´s officially out. 

And also his last announced Europe concert in July is on 4th of July in Europe and then he comes back in August to play American shows, so I think that he will totally be at Mad Cool.

https://pitchfork.com/news/jack-white-announces-tour/

Edited by maksym26

8 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

He also will headline Governor´s ball from June 1-3 so now I think that he´s officially out. 

And also his last announced Europe concert in July is on 4th of July in Europe and then he comes back in August to play American shows, so I think that he will totally be at Mad Cool.

https://pitchfork.com/news/jack-white-announces-tour/

Oh you’re right! Forgot about GovBall...