Primavera 2018

Runnerups

Gabi is still going with this Q&A. Not many juicy details about potential acts - he responded to the question "would it be more surprising if Bjork was or wasn't at Primavera" with "neither would be surprising". :dontknow:

Interestingly, he says Childish Gambino might be around next summer but PS looks to coincide with the promotional period of the Han Solo movie, so he can't play PS.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Gabi is still going with this Q&A. Not many juicy details about potential acts - he responded to the question "would it be more surprising if Bjork was or wasn't at Primavera" with "neither would be surprising". :dontknow:

Interestingly, he says Childish Gambino might be around next summer but PS looks to coincide with the promotional period of the Han Solo movie, so he can't play PS.

I'm still a bit confused by his reply about Jack White. Surely he knows by now whether he's playing or not, but he says he thinks so when asked if it's the year of Jack White? If he didn't want to all but confirm him he'd surely answer differently to that. I mean I am expecting him to play after what Gabi said but it just seemed an odd way to reply, unless it just translates oddly.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm still a bit confused by his reply about Jack White. Surely he knows by now whether he's playing or not, but he says he thinks so when asked if it's the year of Jack White? If he didn't want to all but confirm him he'd surely answer differently to that. I mean I am expecting him to play after what Gabi said but it just seemed an odd way to reply, unless it just translates oddly.

Well, Gabi said a couple of months ago that they were trying to get Jack White still, and a couple of weeks ago he said that some artists are "resisting on the smallest details", so I'm thinking he still isn't properly booked because he's tough to negotiate with but they're very far along the process. Obviously if White was solely at Mad Cool or BBK then he'd just say no as they seem to have their headliners pinned down.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well, Gabi said a couple of months ago that they were trying to get Jack White still, and a couple of weeks ago he said that some artists are "resisting on the smallest details", so I'm thinking he still isn't properly booked because he's tough to negotiate with but they're very far along the process. Obviously if White was solely at Mad Cool or BBK then he'd just say no as they seem to have their headliners pinned down.

Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting that he may be booked for another festival instead. Just assumed they'd have it sorted by now; isn't it this weekend that the competition winners get to see the lineup? I guess they can easily show them the lineup with a headliner missing, though.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting that he may be booked for another festival instead. Just assumed they'd have it sorted by now; isn't it this weekend that the competition winners get to see the lineup? I guess they can easily show them the lineup with a headliner missing, though.

Yeah I guess. They can show them the lyrics to Revolt if they want.

Is there any chance Jack White could headline Primavera and Mad Cool? He fits the Mad Cool criteria and obviously seems highly likely for this but not sure if Primavera ever share headliners. Saying that, I remember reading Gabi mention something about sharing The Cure in the big post he made about the booking process.

18 minutes ago, Tigane said:

Bjork was announced today in Vodafone Paredes de Coura festival (the same festival whose organizers  share  NPS organization  with the guys from Barcelona)  in Portugal. 

edit:  NPS stands for Nos Primavera Sound

Hmm, I guess so if it wasn't possible for her to do NOS Primavera Sound. Interesting to see her back later on in summer.

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Is there any chance Jack White could headline Primavera and Mad Cool? He fits the Mad Cool criteria and obviously seems highly likely for this but not sure if Primavera ever share headliners. Saying that, I remember reading Gabi mention something about sharing The Cure in the big post he made about the booking process.

Unlikely but not impossible I suppose. He did make it seem easy but also why would they do it so rarely if that was the case?

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hmm, I guess so if it wasn't possible for her to do NOS Primavera Sound. Interesting to see her back later on in summer.

Unlikely but not impossible I suppose. He did make it seem easy but also why would they do it so rarely if that was the case?

The guys from Paredes de Coura usually  take some bands from Primavera Sound Barcelona card, to their own festival, instead of going to Nos Primavera.  For example it happened  2 years ago with LCD Soundsystem going to Barcelona in May/June  and then  came to Portugal for Paredes de Coura in August (and like LCD Soundystem there are several examples), so i think it is very likely that Bjork will be at Barcelona

53 minutes ago, Tigane said:

The guys from Paredes de Coura usually  take some bands from Primavera Sound Barcelona card, to their own festival, instead of going to Nos Primavera.  For example it happened  2 years ago with LCD Soundsystem going to Barcelona in May/June  and then  came to Portugal for Paredes de Coura in August (and like LCD Soundystem there are several examples), so i think it is very likely that Bjork will be at Barcelona

Ah I understand now. Yeah it does look good for her chances.

Think it's definitely looking like Bjork, The National and Nick Cave as people have said in the thread, with the fourth probably being Jack White. Seems very solid but without any real shocks (the end of Jack White's 3 year live hiatus notwithstanding) but maybe those are among the undercard.

Edited by dentalplan

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ah I understand now. Yeah it does look good for her chances.

Think it's definitely looking like Bjork, The National and Nick Cave as people have said in the thread, with the fourth probably being Jack White. Seems very solid but without any real shocks (the end of Jack White's 3 year live hiatus notwithstanding) but maybe those are among the undercard.

Too old, too samey.

Expect a ton of Pitchfork R&B, Hip-Hop in the higher slots. One of the days will certainly be headlined by an act for this younger audience.

Edited by Createur

2 hours ago, Createur said:

Too old, too samey.

Expect a ton of Pitchfork R&B, Hip-Hop in the higher slots. One of the days will certainly be headlined by an act for this younger audience.

I agree with you but thinking about it its not that different to 2016’s headliners is it? LCD were the youngest of them and they’d been around for over 10 years, although I do admit that they appeal to a younger crowd than any of the four likely names this year. As I mentioned earlier on this page, having some acts like Lorde, SZA, Vince Staples etc below the headliners will work just as well imo.

Mad cool has awesome lineup, but it has two big problems:

- very rock oriented, much less diversity than primavera usually have

- it happens on the last weekend of the world cup. Which means Thursday has semi final, and the Sunday right after is the final (so for people out of Spain, it means flying early in the morning or staying additional night)

Mad Cool is nowhere near even the weakest PV lineup of the last 7 years. Crap like Snow Control doesn't help, less diversity as JtH said and a  relatively weak undercard. Madrid is also far too hot that time of year and the fest has had organisational problems, by all accounts. The new site looks pretty charmless too.

For all that, undoubtedly a big improvement on last year with some good acts and it will surely cannibalise Primavera's potential audience

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Mad Cool is nowhere near even the weakest PV lineup of the last 7 years. Crap like Snow Control doesn't help, less diversity as JtH said and a  relatively weak undercard. Madrid is also far too hot that time of year and the fest has had organisational problems, by all accounts. The new site looks pretty charmless too.

For all that, undoubtedly a big improvement on last year with some good acts and it will surely cannibalise Primavera's potential audience

wouldn't mind a better weather for Primavera sound.

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Mad cool has awesome lineup, but it has two big problems:

- very rock oriented, much less diversity than primavera usually have

- it happens on the last weekend of the world cup. Which means Thursday has semi final, and the Sunday right after is the final (so for people out of Spain, it means flying early in the morning or staying additional night)

Oh boy I hope Spain get to the final now 

16 minutes ago, clasher said:

I've been at NOS Alive when Portugal won European championship, watching the final game on a big screen on the main square. Absoute mad scenes.

Got my tickets for Mad Cool B)

Last year during Arcade Fire's Primavera show Rial Madrid won the champions league.

As you can expect from a Barcelonian festival, it was not shown anywhere...