Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

But the quote you posted teases them is Gabi teasing them as a headliner (unlike those acts listed) isn't it? Or did I misread it?

Yet, it says nothing about either the timeslot or the headlining structure. Check out the first published poster of 2017 - It has nine acts of the biggest possible font, two of those performed at the sunset slot (plus the first non-headlining act which was supposed to perform early). In fact, four 2017 headliners performed back-to-back on the Thursday: Solange, Bon Iver, Slayer, Aphex Twin.

Gabi was answering somebody's question referring to TWOD as headliners. I don't think it means they will headline, but I do understand the logic.

PrimveraPoster.jpg

1 hour ago, Orens said:

Yet, it says nothing about either the timeslot or the headlining structure. Check out the first published poster of 2017 - It has nine acts of the biggest possible font, two of those performed at the sunset slot (plus the first non-headlining act which was supposed to perform early). In fact, four 2017 headliners performed back-to-back on the Thursday: Solange, Bon Iver, Slayer, Aphex Twin.

Gabi was answering somebody's question referring to TWOD as headliners. I don't think it means they will headline, but I do understand the logic.

PrimveraPoster.jpg

I see. I was thinking his description of headliners referred to the top line.

4 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeah what do we reckon the chances of Kendrick playing PS are? Fairly small I'd have thought.

I was pretty confident of him as a prediction until the other day and that Facebook live chat thing - don't really know what they're getting at by saying he's only touring at the end of the year (do they mean summer?) - and now with those prices... Still though, he hasn't got a Spanish date on that tour.

Wonder where we're at for headiners now. Just The National, maybe The War on Drugs if taking Gabi literally and Jack White if other festivals will come in for him as well...

Just now, dentalplan said:

Wonder where we're at for headiners now. Just The National, maybe The War on Drugs if taking Gabi literally and Jack White if other festivals will come in for him as well...

Always a hard one to call. I still don't see The War On Drugs as headliners personally although maybe they could just sneak in on the top tier of the poster. Are they as big as Sigur Ros and The xx? Think the other two headliners would have to be big bookings to make up for it (e.g Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem in 2016)

Just now, rhg_99 said:

Always a hard one to call. I still don't see The War On Drugs as headliners personally although maybe they could just sneak in on the top tier of the poster. Are they as big as Sigur Ros and The xx? Think the other two headliners would have to be big bookings to make up for it (e.g Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem in 2016)

They're playing venues as big as those lot (and The National) would so I don't think they'd be pathetic headliners but I get that their ascent hasn't exactly been big news so many would be surprised.

Beck is another name that would just sneak on probably. Yeah Yeah Yeahs should be the (not technically) reunion they were talking about on the transcript but again, they're not a clear headliner either.

I do wonder who the biggest name could be really... The Cure? I think Gorillaz will be at Benicassim.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They're playing venues as big as those lot (and The National) would so I don't think they'd be pathetic headliners but I get that their ascent hasn't exactly been big news so many would be surprised.

Beck is another name that would just sneak on probably. Yeah Yeah Yeahs should be the (not technically) reunion they were talking about on the transcript but again, they're not a clear headliner either.

I do wonder who the biggest name could be really... The Cure? I think Gorillaz will be at Benicassim.

yeah you're probably right, could definitely argue that theyre as big as Sigur Ros. I'm not expecting an act as big as Radiohead again and in my mind I have The National as the biggest name. The Cure is a good shout and I agree on Gorillaz being at Benicassim. Nine Inch Nails are another than come to mind.

5 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeah you're probably right, could definitely argue that theyre as big as Sigur Ros. I'm not expecting an act as big as Radiohead again and in my mind I have The National as the biggest name. The Cure is a good shout and I agree on Gorillaz being at Benicassim. Nine Inch Nails are another than come to mind.

Also I was overlooking Queens of the Stone Age because I thought The National, Kendrick Lamar and QOTSA all from 2014 would be overkill but if we're to look at a group of headliners without Kendrick then Queens - who as we know are around in June - could come back in.

Queens of the Stone Age are in Europe around that time, already confirmed for Denmark's Northside festival on the NOS Primavera weekend. (edit: @dentalplan was posting at the same time :))

Keep in mind Chance The Rapper, who should be on the way to his proper debut album (so far he's only released three mixtapes), and Gabi has mentioned back in November 2016 but eventually he ended up with a massive US tour, headlining overseas festivals during Primavera.

Edited by Orens

2 minutes ago, Orens said:

Queens of the Stone Age are in Europe around that time, already confirmed for Denmark's Northside festival on the NOS Primavera weekend. (edit: @dentalplan was posting at the same time :))

Don't forget Chance The Rapper, which should be on his way to his proper debut album (so far he's only released three mixtapes), and Gabi has mentioned back in November 2016 but eventually he ended up with a massive US tour, headlining overseas festivals during Primavera.

QOTSA, The National and Chance The Rapper makes a lot of sense. Then acts like Missy Elliott, Grizzly Bear, The War on Drugs, Father John Misty, St Vincent on the level below.

11 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

QOTSA, The National and Chance The Rapper makes a lot of sense. Then acts like Missy Elliott, Grizzly Bear, The War on Drugs, Father John Misty, St Vincent on the level below.

How's about:

The National, Queens of the Stone Age, Chance the Rapper, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The War on Drugs, David Byrne, Father John Misty, St. Vincent, Caribou

(or YYY's/TWOD switched if that makes better sense?)

Does that hit enough bases?

Just now, dentalplan said:

How's about:

The National, Queens of the Stone Age, Chance the Rapper, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The War on Drugs, David Byrne, Father John Misty, St. Vincent, Caribou

(or YYY's/TWOD switched if that makes better sense?)

Does that hit enough bases?

I'd say so. Would love to see any of Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett, Four Tet, Ought, Ariel Pink, Perfume Genius, Forest Swords, Protomarytr, Algiers, John Hopkins playing too.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I was pretty confident of him as a prediction until the other day and that Facebook live chat thing - don't really know what they're getting at by saying he's only touring at the end of the year (do they mean summer?) - and now with those prices... Still though, he hasn't got a Spanish date on that tour.

What big Spanish festivals are late summer? Benicassim is the latest one I can think of, though Kendrick would be a good fit there too. 

I wasn't planning on returning as soon as next year but if they manage QOTSA, The National, Father John Misty and The War on Drugs as some of the top tier acts I might have to reconsider.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

What big Spanish festivals are late summer? Benicassim is the latest one I can think of, though Kendrick would be a good fit there too. 

I wasn't planning on returning as soon as next year but if they manage QOTSA, The National, Father John Misty and The War on Drugs as some of the top tier acts I might have to reconsider.

Kendrick has headlined FiB in 2016.

Mad Cool (12-14 July) only had two editions but he doesn't seem like a fit there.

Bilbao BBK (12-14 July) could make sense but that's a much smaller, cheaper festival.

If anything, Primavera probably has the best shot among major Spanish festivals.

Can't see Kendrick returning to Primavera next year. He did it in 2014 when he was a lot smaller and he now seems considerably bigger than almost all of it's usual headliners. I think they'd struggle to afford him these days.

Benicassim seems a more realistic Spanish festival for him to end up at imo.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:04 PM, jackarmy said:

Could Morrissey possibly headline one night? Not sure if he's ever played the festival before...

I think he currently has a meat ban, which won't go down well in PS.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Can't see Kendrick returning to Primavera next year. He did it in 2014 when he was a lot smaller and he now seems considerably bigger than almost all of it's usual headliners. I think they'd struggle to afford him these days.

Benicassim seems a more realistic Spanish festival for him to end up at imo.

Gabi has claimed back in May that PS was the first big festival to ever give Kendrick a headliner slot (although he played before Nine Inch Nails back in 2014). That's not a knock on Primavera, that's a sign of respect. Considering his global status and the supposed ticket prices to his Euro arena tour, Kendrick could end up being like the biggest, most expensive headliner on any lineup he's gonna end up this year. If anything, rolling with a hip-hop act as the biggest headliner is still very unconventional nowadays, something only Primavera Sound could pull off.

On 4/10/2017 at 7:52 AM, eFestivals said:

anyone reckon the shite going down in Catalonia is going to hit onto this...?

An economic blockade at some level is starting to look pretty likely if Catalonia follows thru on what its saying.

Today the second biggest Catalán Bank (Banco Sabadell) has moved to Alicante.

Huge rumours that the biggest catalán bank (2nd Spanish Bank), Caixabank will also run away from Catalonia to Mallorca this week.

Catalan biggest insurance company (Catalana Occidente) is also moving out of Catalonia.

I think that Primavera will go on, but maybe they will move their financial headquarters to Madrid.

All catalán big entrepaneurs are scared because maybe next monday Catalan president will declare Independece, so Catalonia can be out of EU, so the y are running away. I hope that all this shit will end asap. Another general strike is being planned for next week. Bad news for a great place with great people as Catalonia.

• Upvote 1