Primavera 2018

Runnerups

2 minutes ago, Mr. Overdrive said:

Brian Wilson and Van Morrison are fits, but Roger Waters isn't?

Exactly. I really can't see them booking him to perform classic Pink Floyd stuff in a really long, expensive show. That sounds like a very un-Primavera booking.

The comparison to Wilson and Morrison isn't necessary, as both performed before the sun set and other headliners came on. Waters in an actual headliner who consistently plays arenas, Wilson and Morrison are not.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

his tour this summer was advertised as his last.

He might tour again - he's said his last before - but I reckon it's very unlikely he'll be on the road the summer that follows his 'last' shows. That'll definitely be in his head as not-touring time.

I believe @Mr. Overdrive has referred to Brian Wilson playing in 2016. Van Morrison also played in 2017.

Edited by Orens

11 hours ago, Orens said:

Exactly. I really can't see them booking him to perform classic Pink Floyd stuff in a really long, expensive show. That sounds like a very un-Primavera booking.

The comparison to Wilson and Morrison isn't necessary, as both performed before the sun set and other headliners came on. Waters in an actual headliner who consistently plays arenas, Wilson and Morrison are not.

Seems as though Waters' show runs ~2h 15m, same as a Radiohead set.  And just so I understand, you proclaim it OK for Primavera to book influential/heritage acts so long as they aren't high-production post-sunset headliners.  If they were still around, feeling as though Bowie and Prince would be very un-Primavera as well, according to your rationale?!

2 hours ago, Mr. Overdrive said:

If they were still around, feeling as though Bowie and Prince would be very un-Primavera as well, according to your rationale?!

Have you ever been to Primavera Sound? 

I never claimed that. Just noted the  in the resources needed for each booking. There's a big difference between Pink Floyd (Roger Waters) and Bowie/Prince. The latter ones have the indie/alternative appeal that is so important to Primavera's legacy. Waters has made amazing albums with Pink Floyd during the 70s but Pink Floyd but it is so much not a Primavera-is type of act. Letting him headline a day just doesn't make any sense. Just like Pearl Jam, Muse and Foo Fighters will probably never play PS, you can Waters to that list.

Yesterday Kendrick has teased a UK/Euro tour. Kendrick is rumored to play the UK dates at February 2018.

The War On Drugs comment: someone's asked Gabi whether they will come as headliners, and he said something in the mold of "You'll like it, won't you?"

1 hour ago, Orens said:

Yesterday Kendrick has teased a UK/Euro tour. Kendrick is rumored to play the UK dates at February 2018.

The War On Drugs comment: someone's asked Gabi whether they will come as headliners, and he said something in the mold of "You'll like it, won't you?"

The War on Drugs would be very disappointing headliners. Would make more sense being the tier below just like Tame Impala, Air, Apex Twin, Run The Jewels in recent years.

Edited by rhg_99

37 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

The War on Drugs would be very disappointing headliners. Would make more sense being the tier below just like Tame Impala, Air, Apex Twin, Run The Jewels in recent years.

Some years are stronger than others though; Phoenix, Ride and alt-J headlined while those you mentioned didn't. If they're selling around Europe like other headliners do then it's probably fair enough really.

44 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

I believe they will get a Mordor slot at the early evening-sunset, obviously not going to perform in the dark. Over the last three editions this slow has gotten acts such as Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, Air, Solange, Metronomy, Damien Rice, Mac DeMarco (before the Frank Ocean cancellation pushed him to 21:50). That makes perfect sense for TWOD.

29 minutes ago, Orens said:

I believe they will get a Mordor slot at the early evening-sunset, obviously not going to perform in the dark. Over the last three editions this slow has gotten acts such as Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, Air, Solange, Metronomy, Damien Rice, Mac DeMarco (before the Frank Ocean cancellation pushed him to 21:50). That makes perfect sense for TWOD.

But the quote you posted teases them is Gabi teasing them as a headliner (unlike those acts listed) isn't it? Or did I misread it?

Edited by dentalplan