Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I'd be surprised if they do so early again and surely with no Glastonbury and having sold out so much recently, there is no need to rush out the names.

Mid-January is the norm.

Trying to convince my lot is such a pain when a lot of them want to see the line up first haha.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'd be surprised if they do so early again and surely with no Glastonbury and having sold out so much recently, there is no need to rush out the names.

Mid-January is the norm.

I reckon that Mad Cool, Madrid's relatively new urban festival, is more of a competition to Primavera Sound than Glastonbury. Last year Mad Cool released the headliners early and sold out the early bird tickets pretty quickly. It might have triggered the early announcement by Primavera Sound.

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sure you've done this already but show them the last few lineups and point out that the price goes up and up. If you are into the style of music, it's just relentlessly strong year after year. 

That's what I'm trying to do, think we're looking at a holiday in Barcelona anyway, so if everything falls apart, I'll go to the fest on my own and meet up with them on other days.

That's a great observation, Matt. However, The The have been announced for Heartland (Bryan Ferry, Eddie Vedder, Miguel and FlyLo among others last year). I think we should pay attention to the headliners -Ferry, Vedder, Stipe- because, at least for me, they sound a lil bit off to headline Primavera even after Grace Jones and Van Morrisson. It's a reunion so you never know with these bookers but they passed on Can and the Stone Roses' ones so I personally can't see them playing.

Btw, is Johnny Marr on board?

21 minutes ago, Nesser said:

That's a great observation, Matt. However, The The have been announced for Heartland (Bryan Ferry, Eddie Vedder, Miguel and FlyLo among others last year). I think we should pay attention to the headliners -Ferry, Vedder, Stipe- because, at least for me, they sound a lil bit off to headline Primavera even after Grace Jones and Van Morrisson. It's a reunion so you never know with these bookers but they passed on Can and the Stone Roses' ones so I personally can't see them playing.

Btw, is Johnny Marr on board?

Heartland is a relatively new festival (started in 2016), so there's no need to make further conclusions past editions and comparing it to Primavera Sound. I do think The The makes sense as in the PS poster, regardless of Can and Stone Roses.

Anyway, the Heartland concert is for Friday, which means that if The The are on the bill, they will probably play either Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday.

Funny story: Gabi wanted Byrne & St Vincent on the PS'13 line-up but the tour got delayed so they put on a couple of shows in Madrid and Barcelona in early September. Tickets were +60 € (kinda expensive back in the day), sales were pretty bad -both Portuguese dates got canceled- and Gabi said that they lost quite a good amount of money but didn't regreat it because. The point is that they insisted very much on booking him and that made risky move in order to have him playing. 

I hadn't heard any Byrne buzz tbh but if he's doing something similar to what Robert Plant did on 2016, we have our first headliner without a trace of doubt.

Ignoring headliners I'd say the following are strong contender's: Cap'n Jazz (please!!! PS have given me Drive Like Jehu, slint, mineral and American Football), Perfume Genius (amazing last album), Deerhoof (Because), Mount Eerie, Mogwai, Hot Chip, Shabazz Palaces, Xiu Xiu and maybe Courtney and Kurt V for the "upper" undercard? I could get on board with that.

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Primavera will always book Deerhunter as a house band and The National are confirmed but I don't think they will book Queens of The Stone Age again this year so as to keep the headliners looking fresh.

Exactly my thoughts. The other four are very likely: Demarco played '15 and '17 so Deerhunter can do '16 and '18 as long as they have a new record; Cigarettes played on Tuesday and the hype still lives on, therefore they may have earned a weekend slot and The National & Father John Misty need no comment. 

You can never have too much Deerhunter but no suggestion they have an album coming (although that can change quickly). I don't think Cigarettes or Father John Misty will play, much as I like them.

I think the weird unexpected booking will be Alanis Morissette this year and that the lineup announcement will be made as a manga comic.

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

You can never have too much Deerhunter but no suggestion they have an album coming (although that can change quickly). I don't think Cigarettes or Father John Misty will play, much as I like them.

I think the weird unexpected booking will be Alanis Morissette this year and that the lineup announcement will be made as a manga comic.

lol at the manga thing

Father John Misty didn't play in '16 (BBK booked him) so that makes 6 years since he last played at the festival. Gabi and co loves to bring artists that played early in their career back once they've grown and he is a perfect example of that. Don't forget that he's releasing another album next year so the Barcelona show in November means nothing regarding the chances of ending up in the line-up.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

lol at the manga thing

Father John Misty didn't play in '16 (BBK booked him) so that makes 6 years since he last played at the festival. Gabi and co loves to bring artists that played early in their career back once they've grown and he is a perfect example of that. Don't forget that he's releasing another album next year so the Barcelona show in November means nothing regarding the chances of ending up in the line-up.

Good point @Nesser.

I saw Father John Misty last week and he played with an orchestra. Was magnificent.

I was also at that auditori show 6 years ago and couldn't imagine at the time he would be headlining festivals!

I know he divides people but he totally commits to his performances and was a level above anyone else I saw so I really hope they book him again.

• Upvote 2