Essentials for Glasto on a limited budget

took181

Hello all, Good day to all, was just wondering as I am on a strict budget for Glasto as I am a student and have spent all my money on un-necessary items, I'm just enquiring if anyone has any tips to have a cheap glasto, e.g cheap link for a tent, or things like hot water bottle which will be very beneficial for the festival, all suggestions appreciates, have a great festival! x 

It may be worth asking around friends and family if they have a small tent or other camping equipment you can borrow- amazing the number of people who have a spare or hardly used tent/bed rolls/sleeping bags/rucksack/wellies  in their lofts or garages! You will also feel more obligated to bring everything back and not abandon cheap stuff. 

If you take a hot water bottle then you will need a kettle and stove to heat water- which you can also use to make tea/coffee/instant porridge/pot noodles etc - again someone might have one you can borrow. However I doubt you will need a hot water bottle- too much faff to sort out at night when you are knackered so suspect you wouldn't use it and just more to carry. Wear socks and a warm fleece if cold. 

Dont buy water - fill up a water bottle from the taps- it's free! 

A lot of the stalls have "food for a £5.00 "deals. Take your own booze from supermarket and snack/cereal bars. 

Budget for what you can afford - put your cash in the lock ups and just take out your budget each day and stick to it. 

I'd go with Sedra's suggestion of asking around, but if you can't find anyone with a stove I can recommend a SuperCat alcohol stove - yours for under a pound. You need to buy an aluminium tin, so take a (fridge) magnet to the supermarket with you. There are more details on Jim Wood's page and other options for alcohol stoves are available. They work very well.

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Go here to eat. It is suggested that you make a donation for the food, but if you are really skint then I believe that they don't mind you not paying.

HARI KRISHNA

The Krishnas offer food and some simple welfare. They are situated in Holts camping field, near Oxylers Bridge

is it necky to eat there every day lol

Cheapest food is around the green fields, try to avoid vendors near the main stages. Buy a cheap tent and kit such as water bottle and sleeping bag from a supermarket but please take it home with you. They aren't the best quality but they should last a festival or two  and are really cheap (if you can't borrow one) take as much as you can carry without doing yourself an jnjury, I would suggest a cheap stove, gas, kettle, etc and take your own soup, pot noodle, coffee, biscuits, etc,etc. Not the best food but it will cure the munchies and keep you going so you only have to buy one proper meal once per day. Take your own beer as well if you can carry it. Borrow as much as possible from family and friends, such as rucksacks, we always take a wheelbarrow from the garden to put kit it, if you are driving. I would also suggest buying stuff nearer the festival once we have a clearer idea what the weather might be like, which may help you with what ebd up having to buy, e.g. waterproofs, sun cream, wellies, etc

Its going to be ace!

...and watch Radiohead

Maybe go to home bargains before and stock up on your essentials and stuff like cereal bars to keep in your bag to save on food and save money on essentials like baby wipes? I'd ask if anyone you know has stuff like sleeping bags/tents you can borrow or loads of the outdoors places have decent sales or look at tesco/Argos and search for voucher codes online to get extra money off. Also like the guys said Hare Krishna do food at their tent which is apparently fairly decent! 

4 hours ago, Ollie9917 said:

is it necky to eat there every day lol

You can eat there as often as you like. They offer the food for free but welcome donations. Unless you find yourself unexpectedly in dire need it's nice to accept the food in the spirit it's given and make some form of donation so that they can cover their costs and carry on the work they do,

26 minutes ago, musky said:

You can eat there as often as you like. They offer the food for free but welcome donations. Unless you find yourself unexpectedly in dire need it's nice to accept the food in the spirit it's given and make some form of donation so that they can cover their costs and carry on the work they do,

Even if it's just a couple of quid each time, it will make a difference to them.

21 hours ago, musky said:

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It is as musky says above.

nah obviously i would donate but its like £7 for a meal at an actual food place

4 hours ago, Ollie9917 said:

nah obviously i would donate but its like £7 for a meal at an actual food place

I've never eaten at the Hari Krishna place, so don't really know what the going rate is for donations. I'd say that you could at least half the £7 costing that other food outlets charge. In fact, isn't £7 a bit of an under estimate for what these other places charge? I'm not sure, as historically  I've never eaten well throughout the Glastonbury proceedings. I think I'm going to change all that this year though. This may well be my last Glastonbury, so I would like to spend at least some time not off my head on something, and go around the site looking for food based bargains. I also want to eat healthily, but also harbour an, up till now, secret desire to buy and eat a 'Growler'. I may have to do this very late at night though, so it's dark and nobody can see me. I'll take the 'food' off to some unlit corner and devour it like a man possessed. Then I will meet my friends, the foxes, who will lead me in to the forest where I will ride the postprandial wave and fall in to a deep sleep, while the creatures of the forest keep me warm.

On 10/06/2017 at 0:39 AM, took181 said:

Hello all, Good day to all, was just wondering as I am on a strict budget for Glasto as I am a student and have spent all my money on un-necessary items, I'm just enquiring if anyone has any tips to have a cheap glasto, e.g cheap link for a tent, or things like hot water bottle which will be very beneficial for the festival, all suggestions appreciates, have a great festival! x 

not sure where in the country you are but pretty sure I have a pop up tent if you need one , just a small donation to an animal charity is all I'd like 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've never eaten at the Hari Krishna place, so don't really know what the going rate is for donations. I'd say that you could at least half the £7 costing that other food outlets charge. In fact, isn't £7 a bit of an under estimate for what these other places charge? I'm not sure, as historically  I've never eaten well throughout the Glastonbury proceedings. I think I'm going to change all that this year though. This may well be my last Glastonbury, so I would like to spend at least some time not off my head on something, and go around the site looking for food based bargains. I also want to eat healthily, but also harbour an, up till now, secret desire to buy and eat a 'Growler'. I may have to do this very late at night though, so it's dark and nobody can see me. I'll take the 'food' off to some unlit corner and devour it like a man possessed. Then I will meet my friends, the foxes, who will lead me in to the forest where I will ride the postprandial wave and fall in to a deep sleep, while the creatures of the forest keep me warm.

do I even want to know what a growler is? ? ? 

yeah last year i didnt need to eat that much, luckily for me i had no money either !!!

Kids World Cafes is one of the cheapest places to eat. It's near to the cabaret tent. Tor Rugby Club stall is reasonable too, it's just round the corner from the cider bus. 

If you're going cheap cheap then bring your own booze,freecycle for camping gear and army surplus for a woolly jumper and cheap waterproofs. 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yog, I don't know how to tell you this... are you sitting down? 

The Growler is no more... she has been banished... gone but never forgotten. I'm afraid it will be like the one girl at school you never had the courage to tell how you felt and be forever on your mind thinking what if

Or you're quite comfortable in the knowledge it was a greasy peice of shit and you're better off without it in your life (applies to either) 

1 minute ago, Meatball said:

Yog, I don't know how to tell you this... are you sitting down? 

The Growler is no more... she has been banished... gone but never forgotten. I'm afraid it will be like the one girl at school you never had the courage to tell how you felt and be forever on your mind thinking what if

Or you're quite comfortable in the knowledge it was a greasy peice of shit and you're better off without it in your life (applies to either) 

Thanks for providing me with the information Meatball. As you will appreciate, this has come as a sudden shock to me (are there any other types of shock he asks himself). I really don't know what to do with myself now, having been furnished with this information. I so wanted to tell that Growler how pretty it was, how perfectly formed it was, how I wanted to lick it's juices etc etc. I can't do that now. Is it worth carrying on I wonder.

RIP The Growler. 

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I always eat there at least once each Glastonbury. Food is lovely and portions fine. I always donate about £3.

1 minute ago, Sea Glass said:

I always eat there at least once each Glastonbury. Food is lovely and portions fine. I always donate about £3.

I may well give it a whirl and eat there myself this year. 

As an aside, I really like seeing the Hari Krishna's in real life. The only downside of that is when they 'trap' you and ask if you want to buy some josticks off them. You know, deep down, that you don't want any josticks and that you have a draw full of them from previous encounters with the Hari Krishna's, but you know that it's just EVIL to say no to them. Not only that, but in my case anyway, I feel the need to give them much more money than the josticks are worth, even taking in to account that I want to give them a bit over the odds, as a donation.