Confirmed secret sets 2017

SecretGlasto

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-6-26 at 5:30 PM, mr flow said:

I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but we had a few sources that claimed it was a definite so sent it out. I think it was the only duff bit of info we sent out over the weekend though, other than Frank Carter at Strummerville, but that was a last minute cancellation to be fair.

I'll take the blame for that one. I was on site, buzzing about Radiohead urging we tweet it after Thom made a reference to "seeing you in other fields over the weekend" (probably paraphrased)

1 hour ago, cloudb said:

I can understand them cancelling the Ed set on the back of The Killers.  I had no intentions of going for fear of my own safety.

But no-one was talking about the Ed slot prior, while everyone was at Killers. Literally about 15 people max turned up for Ed, and the whole area had very few people at all.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'll take the blame for that one. I was on site, buzzing about Radiohead urging we tweet it after Thom made a reference to "seeing you in other fields over the weekend" (probably paraphrased)

You ruined my 100% record :P

1 hour ago, Little Andy said:

But no-one was talking about the Ed slot prior, while everyone was at Killers. Literally about 15 people max turned up for Ed, and the whole area had very few people at all.

I guess it could have worked with The Killers acting as a bit of a decoy but at some stage it becomes public knowledge. Whether it's a day before, an hour before or 5 minutes into a set a number of people will find out and it's dangerous if a venue can't handle a surge like that. 

Completely understand how this was much less of an issue in the pre social media smart phone age. 

Shane. 

14 hours ago, cloudb said:

I guess it could have worked with The Killers acting as a bit of a decoy but at some stage it becomes public knowledge. Whether it's a day before, an hour before or 5 minutes into a set a number of people will find out and it's dangerous if a venue can't handle a surge like that. 

Completely understand how this was much less of an issue in the pre social media smart phone age. 

Shane. 

So why consider it at all then? Why plan it (which made some people show up, for me I was just guessing based on speculation on this site), then cancel it?

Edited by Little Andy

Did anyone else catch Lianne La Havas secret set in Avalon? It was stunning, definitely a highlight of the weekend. As was Elbow at the park as it goes.

We also watched the sun come up on Monday morning from the Gas Tower to the beats of the second Roni set we saw within a few hours. Many thanks to all the squirreling here to help out with the first two (final one was a bit of an accident if I'm being honest!)

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Now its months later, are we allowed to know why the rumoured Ed Sheeran secret set never happened this year? And was it the Croissant Neuf TBA?

it was (supposedly) at CN, and from what i can remember it was for a time (as I was told it) where there wasn't anything scheduled but wasn't a TBA.

I can't remember what the actual details i was told were now, tho. :lol:

It might have been midday Sunday, but don't quote me on that.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was (supposedly) at CN, and from what i can remember it was for a time (as I was told it) where there wasn't anything scheduled but wasn't a TBA.

Didn't Ed turn up at the Acoustic tent then and playing Galway Girl with the Irish band?

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Any idea how this could be planned, but subsequently cancelled (presumably for safety reasons?). Surely the safety concerns would always have been understood. Possibly the Killers situation made a last minute change of mind?

8 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Any idea how this could be planned, but subsequently cancelled (presumably for safety reasons?). Surely the safety concerns would always have been understood. Possibly the Killers situation made a last minute change of mind?

I'm not entirely sure now whether I was told it was 100% sorted, or that it was hoping to be sorted. It might have been the 2nd of those.

Loads of stages - even some of the bigger ones, tho it's more applicable for the smaller ones with small band budgets  - try to line-up other shows by acts who are already on the bill for other stages, but it doesn't always work out for whatever reasons.

So it might have been Ed who decided not to do it just as much as it might have been the fest putting a stop to it because of safety worries.

Or what I was told might have been bull - tho I don't think so - or more speculation than fact (not impossible). I had decent reason to have some trust in what I was told.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not entirely sure now whether I was told it was 100% sorted, or that it was hoping to be sorted. It might have been the 2nd of those.

Loads of stages - even some of the bigger ones, tho it's more applicable for the smaller ones with small band budgets  - try to line-up other shows by acts who are already on the bill for other stages, but it doesn't always work out for whatever reasons.

So it might have been Ed who decided not to do it just as much as it might have been the fest putting a stop to it because of safety worries.

Or what I was told might have been bull - tho I don't think so - or more speculation than fact (not impossible). I had decent reason to have some trust in what I was told.

It made sense aswell, with Glastonbury posting a video of Ed's first appearance, which was at Croissant Neuf. And the mysterious TBA's on the stage totally convinced me it was there. About 15 people turned up to the TBA, to see literally nothing.