What not to bring?

benjii

I've read all the info on the main site a few times and I still can't see an answer to my question, maybe I can't see the wood for the trees!

We were planning on cooking for the Wed and Thurs to save a bit of cash, then buy food for the remaining days. I couldn't find any info on what sort of cooking stuff you can or cannot take with you. Is it okay to take a gas camping stove (with spare gas can)? How about a kitchen knife? It strikes me the first might be ok and the second isn't, but it's odd that I can't find any definitive information on that.

Many thanks!

Do not bring a kitchen knife! There's extra security searches this year because of the Manc/London attacks. And if/when they find it. You'll spend most of the festival being questioned. And having background checks. I'm not sure why you'd need one anyway?

4 hours ago, benjii said:

I've read all the info on the main site a few times and I still can't see an answer to my question, maybe I can't see the wood for the trees!

We were planning on cooking for the Wed and Thurs to save a bit of cash, then buy food for the remaining days. I couldn't find any info on what sort of cooking stuff you can or cannot take with you. Is it okay to take a gas camping stove (with spare gas can)? How about a kitchen knife? It strikes me the first might be ok and the second isn't, but it's odd that I can't find any definitive information on that.

Many thanks!

Here's what the site says not to bring;

WHAT NOT TO BRING

• Too much stuff so you can’t take it home again
  • Please don’t bring gazebos – they take up valuable tent space in the campsites plus an awful lot of them get left behind. We’d also rather you didn’t put tape around your enclosure of tents, please. It makes it harder for other people to get to their tents
  • Only food and alcohol for personal consumption can be brought onsite
  • Excess packaging – if you purchase something new for the Festival, please remove all the excess packing at home, before you arrive
  • Please don’t bring anything in a glass bottle (even perfume) it will be confiscated if found
  • You may be searched at the entrance for any items that may be used in an illegal or offensive manner – which will be confiscated. Persons suspected of carrying out illegal and/or offensive activities onsite may also be searched and face eviction. No portable laser equipment or pens are permitted
  • NO animals (except registered guide dogs), sound systems, generators, sky lanterns or kites, unauthorised fireworks, or wax flares
  • Persons using fireworks will be evicted from site and materials confiscated.
  • No unauthorised tape recorders, professional film or video equipment are allowed onsite. Cameras for personal use are welcome
  • Sound systems
  • Flying or filming with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs, or so-called drones) is not allowed on site before, during or after the Festival – and is prohibited by law. We have a working site and the safety of our audience, crew and staff is paramount
  • No Nitrous oxide (laughing gas). As a contraband good, under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 this substance is banned at Glastonbury.

I guess a kitchen knife could be, and under the current circumstances, would be classed as an item which could be used as an illegal weapon. Do you really need a kitchen knife when cooking for yourself and friends. Couldn't you just bring a small pen knife,  or even get by with a non metal knife?

You've mildly fascinated me about what you're cooking that needs a sharp knife, when I'm campsite chef it's stuff from a packet heated and bunged in a bready thing. No need for cutting anywhere. I'm shockingly easy to feed though, I would genuinely eat any kind of old crap in a roll :P

17 hours ago, balti-pie said:

You've mildly fascinated me about what you're cooking that needs a sharp knife, when I'm campsite chef it's stuff from a packet heated and bunged in a bready thing. No need for cutting anywhere. I'm shockingly easy to feed though, I would genuinely eat any kind of old crap in a roll :P

I'm guessing Sashimi

I don't need a kitchen knife. What about people that plan on cooking their own food for 5 days though? It was more the point that the Glastonbury website seems to be rather lacking in stuff that people might want to bring, but shouldn't. I appreciate that common sense dictates what you shouldn't bring, but relying on peoples common sense is a recipe for disaster!

6 hours ago, benjii said:

I don't need a kitchen knife. What about people that plan on cooking their own food for 5 days though? It was more the point that the Glastonbury website seems to be rather lacking in stuff that people might want to bring, but shouldn't. I appreciate that common sense dictates what you shouldn't bring, but relying on peoples common sense is a recipe for disaster!

You can contact the Festival office here (see below). They should be able to give you a definitive answer. If they say that you can bring a knife then I would take a copy of that email, in case you are asked about the knife on the gate.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/contact-us/