Shisha...?

LynseyDiva

Apologies if there is already a topic on this, but is there anywhere at Glastonbury my friend and I can smoke shisha?  Nothing better than chilling with some drinks sharing a shisha with friends old and new!

6 minutes ago, LynseyDiva said:

Apologies if there is already a topic on this, but is there anywhere at Glastonbury my friend and I can smoke shisha?  Nothing better than chilling with some drinks sharing a shisha with friends old and new!

This is an excellent question !

5 minutes ago, mario man said:

There was a place opposite to the Gully in Silver Hayes a couple of years ago, not been back since so not sure if it was there last year. 

It was next to the Glade (other stage side) last year 

58 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

Genuine noob question, not taking the piss: 

Why do people enjoy shisha? Is it literally just nice tasting smoke that doesn't kill you?

I'm not sure the "that doesn't kill you" bit is quite true!  It's still carbonised plant matter, even if it doesn't contain tobacco.

It just tastes nice and is quite an intimate social activity.  I think that's pretty much it.  Or at least that's what I get from it :)

Edited by Fork_UK

I was in Dahab in Egypt one time and we'd scored some dope off a Bedouin bloke. The only problem was that we had no rolling papers. So, at the end of a meal one night (and while rather drunk) I asked if I could borrow the restaurants very large glass shisha, so that me and my friends could use it for smoking the afore mentioned dope (only I didn't tell them the last bit). They told me no, in no uncertain terms. I pleaded and pleaded with them, showed them what hotel I was in etc, and eventually they gave in and handed me the large shisha. I received it gratefully, turned around, took about three steps, tripped, and sent the glass shisha flying, until it hit the ground and smashed in to lots of little pieces. The restaurant staff were not very amused. Wow, did they over charge me for replacing it (as compared to similar ones that could be obtained in the local market).

1 hour ago, fat_man_joe said:

Genuine noob question, not taking the piss: 

Why do people enjoy shisha? Is it literally just nice tasting smoke that doesn't kill you?

Actually it's more likely to kill you. Apparently. 

I smoke it a lot because it's very popular here in Doha. To me it's the flavour, it's mild, plus it's the social aspect. 

18 minutes ago, Uncle Liam said:

I smoke it a lot because it's very popular here in Doha. To me it's the flavour, it's mild, plus it's the social aspect. 

37 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I'm not sure the "that doesn't kill you" bit is quite true!  It's still carbonised plant matter, even if it doesn't contain tobacco.

It just tastes nice and is quite an intimate social activity.  I think that's pretty much it.  Or at least that's what I get from it :)

Thank you both! So, I was half-right...

Just not the best half to get wrong.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It obviously depends, but more will contain tobacco than won't.  Certainly an 'authentic' ME one usually will.

That's true, but you can get plenty of herbal ones without the nicotine.  But it's the smoke that gets you, not the nicotine anyway, so both as bad as each other, really.

Only shisha I've tried in a festival was flavoured strawberry, could not get the taste out of my mouth for the rest of the night, ruined every pint I had after that, is it always like that? Or was that an overdoing on shisha cafe part? 

3 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

Yeah I'm out in Qatar too mate. Shisha is pretty popular all over the Middle East to be honest.