Car Parks & Routes 2017

MJP

2 hours ago, VolumetricFox said:

https://roadworks.org/ has all the closures on it now (this is a generally useful site anyway as it has road information for nearly the whole country that publish them).  Just choose 'Next two weeks' at the top right.

That A39/A361 closure in Glastonbury town is still there which is confusing.

Great find....cheers!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Afraid not.  Higher Westholme Road also closed at junction with A361.

You would be better coming from Shepton on B3136 and then turning right onto A361 to head west down through Pilton village and left into yellow or orange parking.

good call - I'll do that - ta!

I'm aiming to hit that purple car park at 0500 and then head for gate B, with a trolley :( and 9 tents :( and yes, it will be wrapped :( 

I will however cut it all off as just approaching the search area to make it easier for the guys to search. Then wrap it back up. 

2 hours ago, Derbyphil said:

If the stewards try to usher you into the pink car park, is there any way to blag into the orange car park? Went in their a couple of years ago and was less of a walk to the gate.

Because the junction with A361 and Lower Westholme Road is closed I'm guessing that traffic heading south from Wells will all be directed towards pink, whereas traffic coming from West on A361 will all go into yellow and orange.

Just a hunch......because if the junction is closed how can A361 traffic get into pink?

9 minutes ago, Derbyphil said:

Go in on the A361 and you hit the pink car parks. Come the other way on the A361 and you hit yellow. Orange is kind of in the middle. Do they fill this one up first?

Ah yes I see what you mean....approach from West on A361 and you run the risk of being directed into pink through Gates 1 and 4 before getting to Orange or yellow.

Still run the risk of being directed to pink coming the other way, but it's far less of a risk as you'd have to pass both yellow and orange - unless anyone knows from sure which they fill first,

In 2014 I arrived at 2am on the Wednesday from Glastonbury Direction, they were filling Orange but I asked could I go to the next entrance and was allowed, got parked up right beside Gate A, in the second row!

Bused it in 2015 but tried the same plan last year, they said yes drive on but that they thought there was no other gate open, which turned out to be true, so I had to turn around and come back to Orange.

Down the years I have always ended up in Orange arriving at this time.

Bit concerned about the Wirral Park roundabout closure, presumably we can follow the A39 round the outskirts, then and come back down the Wells Road to join the A361 at Chikwell St?? Any thoughts on this route

Edited by mickeyboymel

9 hours ago, mickeyboymel said:

Bit concerned about the Wirral Park roundabout closure, presumably we can follow the A39 round the outskirts, then and come back down the Wells Road to join the A361 at Chikwell St?? Any thoughts on this route

I'd be surprised if they direct traffic that way, although I'm not sure what other option there is tbh.  The impact to the residential areas on Wells Road would be a concern, plus there is traffic calming on Chilkwell St that could cause carnage.....

....and why clog up 2 of the 3 main routes around the town instead of just one?

It's still a mystery to me too.

Edited by parsonjack

9 hours ago, mickeyboymel said:

In 2014 I arrived at 2am on the Wednesday from Glastonbury Direction, they were filling Orange but I asked could I go to the next entrance and was allowed, got parked up right beside Gate A, in the second row!

Bused it in 2015 but tried the same plan last year, they said yes drive on but that they thought there was no other gate open, which turned out to be true, so I had to turn around and come back to Orange.

Down the years I have always ended up in Orange arriving at this time.

So what is happening here?

as we travel down on the Tuesday afternoon but go left at this roundabout to get to Greenacres campsite - why would they close main entry through Glastonbury?

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

So what is happening here?

as we travel down on the Tuesday afternoon but go left at this roundabout to get to Greenacres campsite - why would they close main entry through Glastonbury?

Para in the traffic plan that says this......

A361 Street Road from its junction with the A39 (Wirral Park roundabout) for a distance of approximately 40 metres eastwards from 0100 hours on Tuesday the 20th of June 2017 until 2100 hours on Monday the 26th of June 2017. (Monday 26th closure 0930 until 2100)."

.....which seems to suggest that traffic coming from West of Glastonbury, or from North like yourselves, won't be able to get on the A361 this way.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Para in the traffic plan that says this......

A361 Street Road from its junction with the A39 (Wirral Park roundabout) for a distance of approximately 40 metres eastwards from 0100 hours on Tuesday the 20th of June 2017 until 2100 hours on Monday the 26th of June 2017. (Monday 26th closure 0930 until 2100)."

.....which seems to suggest that traffic coming from West of Glastonbury, or from North like yourselves, won't be able to get on the A361 this way.

mmmmh okay, well I'll be turning left before the closure part which will be the other side of the roundabout but does seem a strange one unless they are doing one-way traffic management - as this is the main route to the west car parks surely??

10 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

mmmmh okay, well I'll be turning left before the closure part which will be the other side of the roundabout but does seem a strange one unless they are doing one-way traffic management - as this is the main route to the west car parks surely??

Hopefully someone can tell us on Tuesday morning what the situation is.....  

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, parsonjack said:

Afraid not.  Higher Westholme Road also closed at junction with A361.

You would be better coming from Shepton on B3136 and then turning right onto A361 to head west down through Pilton village and left into yellow or orange parking.

If you were coming in through wells and then north wootton how would you get into the red or yellow car park? is this even possible? I was planning on coming down the m5 and getting off and junction 19 and going across country instead of the way the website tells you to go but not sure if this is a good idea now because of all the road closures...

1 hour ago, discopete said:

If you were coming in through wells and then north wootton how would you get into the red or yellow car park? is this even possible? I was planning on coming down the m5 and getting off and junction 19 and going across country instead of the way the website tells you to go but not sure if this is a good idea now because of all the road closures...

Yeah - any local knowledge on this?  Staying north of Cheddar on Tues so then down via Wells and was hoping we could head to North Wooton then west from there and drop onto A361 via Stockbridge Lane.  Is that do'able?? 

i should be fine, ,m5/a46 south onto m5 and cut down to a37, cannards grove and in. going to leave an hour earlier this time though for extra checks etc and possible rain which fortunately doesn't seem a issue this year. the closer i get to Orange 35-39 and Gate D the better. Used to get there at 3:15/30am and got really closer in orange one year but I think with checks people will be heading in earlier or attempting to this year.

Edited by thewayiam

2 hours ago, discopete said:

The Lower Westholme Road/A361 junction does not close until 0800 Weds, so theoretically you should be able to use the North Wootton route before then to pass Pink and turn right onto A361 to go into Yellow or Orange.  Good luck with agreeing that with the stewards filling Pink though.

There's no guaranteed way to get Yellow or Orange, but the North Wooton route would seem the most risky tbh.

49 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Yeah - any local knowledge on this?  Staying north of Cheddar on Tues so then down via Wells and was hoping we could head to North Wooton then west from there and drop onto A361 via Stockbridge Lane.  Is that do'able?? 

After 0800 Weds the North Wootton route will likely put you in Pink.  Your best bet is to use the A361 from Glastonbury for Yellow/Orange but even then you risk being directed to Pink via Pink Gates 1 and 4 off the A361 just before Orange.

Sorry - can't advise on alternative local routes as they should be left free for locals to go about their festival free lives as far possible.

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

The Lower Westholme Road/A361 junction does not close until 0800 Weds, so theoretically you should be able to use the North Wootton route before then to pass Pink and turn right onto A361 to go into Yellow or Orange.  Good luck with agreeing that with the stewards filling Pink though.

There's no guaranteed way to get Yellow or Orange, but the North Wooton route would seem the most risky tbh.

Cheers for the info. Can you advise which way you would have to best chance of getting into yellow/orange car park based on your knowledge of the road closures? You seem to be more clued up on the local roads. Thanks dude!

Edit - we are Hoping to be around that area by 6am so should miss that road closure.

Edited by discopete

we have come through north wootton right into the yellow car parks two years in a row before last year where the yellow car parks were mainly (completely?) out of action due to the rain. the north wootton way was completely shut last year but shouldnt it be back open this year assuming the rain levels are nowhere near as bad?

Edited by Memory Man