Car Parks & Routes 2017

MJP

Last year blue route and the blue car parks were absolute hell on earth, due to the late opening of CV east, that's where all of the really bad traffic was. Hopefully that was very much a one off due to the weather, but with the extra security this year it could still be bad. I think the best thing they could do is let campers and caravans in even earlier on Tuesday, so that route isn't clogged up so badly on Wednesday for everybody else if it all goes tits up.

incidentally last year it took me the best part of 24 hours to get into CV east and I was just in a car (staying in a caravan already there) does anybody know of any other way in to those fields without following the blue route all the way in? We got turned away at nightfall just before we got to turn off the main road  (into pyle lane I think?) We had to go back to purple route and park in the car park there and walk through the whole festival then repeat the process in the morning. We spoke to some people in the same boat who said they did the same but managed to cut through various lanes once they were in the car park off of purple route and eventually make it into CV east, is this even possible?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoping somebody can provide tips for a first time driver.

We're coming down from Manchester and aiming to park on the west side of the site. My plan at the moment is to come down the M5 to Bridgwater and then take the A39 eastwards to the site. That's to try and avoid going through Bristol city centre and getting A37 south from there. Have I picked the wiser plan, or will I just encounter a load more traffic on the west side?

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Hoping somebody can provide tips for a first time driver.

We're coming down from Manchester and aiming to park on the west side of the site. My plan at the moment is to come down the M5 to Bridgwater and then take the A39 eastwards to the site. That's to try and avoid going through Bristol city centre and getting A37 south from there. Have I picked the wiser plan, or will I just encounter a load more traffic on the west side?

Thats the way I've always gone when in the car parks. Depending on your arrival time, there will be ques, but they usually park a few fields simultaneously so traffic keeps moving. 

14 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

Thats the way I've always gone when in the car parks. Depending on your arrival time, there will be ques, but they usually park a few fields simultaneously so traffic keeps moving. 

Aha thanks. Can I ask what time you normally arrive and how long the queues generally are?

Has the pink 2 & 3 entrances always been there? we come down that road as staying at Greenacres campsite and usually go through bronze gate, with the exception of last year that put us through Orange. I have deep fear of being put in Pink tbh

Looking for a bit of advice. We're staying in Tangerine Fields this year, and we've been told to use the Blue Route to get to the TF car park.  Could we approach the site from the north, down Neat Lane, onto Corpse Lane, or will we be stopped? 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

6 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Looking for a bit of advice. We're staying in Tangerine Fields this year, and we've been told to use the Blue Route to get to the TF car park.  Could we approach the site from the north, down Neat Lane, onto Corpse Lane, or will we be stopped? 

No.  The only way into TF is via Blue Route leaving A37 into Pylle Lane/Pylle Road etc.

The bonus is that coming out you will use Neat Lane, Copse Lane etc up to join the A361, where you get directed towards Shepton Mallet and all routes from there.  As such you don't get caught up with all the traffic leaving main East carparks 

7 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Has the pink 2 & 3 entrances always been there? we come down that road as staying at Greenacres campsite and usually go through bronze gate, with the exception of last year that put us through Orange. I have deep fear of being put in Pink tbh

We have the same concern - usually come from Wells via Lower Westholme Rd, but last year we were directed into Pink parking. Hopefully we can still exit Lower Westholme onto the A361 and enter Bronze gate into Orange. Fingers crossed!

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Aha thanks. Can I ask what time you normally arrive and how long the queues generally are?

We usually hit at peak time - certainly did in 2014 and 2015 (the last times we drove that way) - hit traffic after Glastonbury town on the 361 about 730am, slowly moved for the 6 miles or so, parked by 8.30am - through the gates by 10am at Gate A.  Fully set up in woodsies (sadly now hospitality camping) by 10.30 -11

Travelling from near Mcr but staying in a B&B south of Pylle on Tuesday so 2 questions 

First, will it be better on Tuesday evening to come off the M5 @23 head for Glastonbury and skirt south of the site or come down the A37 from Bristol? If we'd done the latter last year I think we'd have got stuck in that Q for the purple car parks that stretched back north.

Second, we're going in Cockmill, last year parked in E6 and through B. It might make sense to go in blue car parks and head for C but knowing you've to go downhill and then back up into Cockmill puts me off

Any advice appreciated cheers

10 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Has the London route just changed? It looks different from what I saw this morning?

I can't protect the map, so people keep changing the route instead of creating a new one...

Correct route should be M3 > A303 > A37

Edit: Here's a read-only version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YCZyq2v1tg5iqffy_DudeuwctFk&usp=sharing

Edited by MJP

After some tips to were coming from Just outside Cardiff but we were thinking of leaving rather early around 12am-1am (hoping to get in the area around 230-3am). We’re aiming for a good spot at Park Home Ground so I think that means orange car parking and pedestrian gate D?

Am I right? Are we leaving too early/late? Are Car parks allocated?

5 hours ago, broken monkey said:

We have the same concern - usually come from Wells via Lower Westholme Rd, but last year we were directed into Pink parking. Hopefully we can still exit Lower Westholme onto the A361 and enter Bronze gate into Orange. Fingers crossed!

that route is closed from 8am and becomes local traffic only - we normally go past around 6am and tends to be okay, think it was only the 1st year in 2010 they tried t put us there but we managed to get them to let us continue to orange car parks

what time did you go past to be put in Pink? as we went past around 6.20am last year and were ok

32 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

that route is closed from 8am and becomes local traffic only - we normally go past around 6am and tends to be okay, think it was only the 1st year in 2010 they tried t put us there but we managed to get them to let us continue to orange car parks

what time did you go past to be put in Pink? as we went past around 6.20am last year and were ok

We usually arrive between 10-11am on the Wednesday. Have done this route since 2010 and last year was the first time we were stopped going towards Orange. I assumed it was because of the huge traffic jams on the A361 and so many of the Orange fields being waterlogged.

To be honest, we can cope with Pink as long as the conditions are better underfoot (they will be this year, I have faith!). 

8 hours ago, parsonjack said:

No.  The only way into TF is via Blue Route leaving A37 into Pylle Lane/Pylle Road etc.

The bonus is that coming out you will use Neat Lane, Copse Lane etc up to join the A361, where you get directed towards Shepton Mallet and all routes from there.  As such you don't get caught up with all the traffic leaving main East carparks 

Cheers. I did think that would be the case. 

Does anyone reckon approach direction makes any difference to what car park you end up in on the west side.

i.e If you approach from the A361 heading west are you more likely to end up in Yellow/Orange than on the A361 heading east?

23 minutes ago, brendan84 said:

Last few years we came out by lower westholme road and into orange across the main road. ...want to be near gate d for our camping spot

Hopefully don't get shoved into pink early doors!

Done the same as well for a few years. Last year we was directed into Pink. Staying at Worthy View this year so undecided on route yet. 

3 hours ago, rebus said:

Does anyone reckon approach direction makes any difference to what car park you end up in on the west side.

i.e If you approach from the A361 heading west are you more likely to end up in Yellow/Orange than on the A361 heading east?

After 0001 on Tuesday morning you will only be able to approach West carparks from the West ie on A361 from Glastonbury direction, as the junction with A37 on the East side of the village will be closed to vehicles heading West.