New security measures in place

brettredmayne

19 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

I'm completely fine with this. I really don't mind having to wait a bit longer to get in so we're all kept safe.

I do have one question: it says 'please do not wrap your bags / kit in the thick plastic wrap you sometimes see at airports. Your bags will need to be accessible for searches.' I'm guessing that includes fixing stuff to trolleys with pallet wrap? I usually attach things to my trolley this way but if we're unable to this year I'll just load up on bungee straps.

They're more environmentally friendly, anyway :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Mmmhhh totally get when it they need to do it but as a person who straps everything to a trolley and doesn't understand the words "pack light" this is going to be interesting 

this is my worry.. my version of packing light is tacking one massive trolley instead of two... can't see how this is going to work 

Well I come on the train so I have to take only what I can carry anyways. I think it would be fairly quick to do a search on my things (they're very organized) if you were just look for dangerous items and not drugs. Hopefully that means the "No trolley" line will be quick. 

I think they have to do it. If something did happen we'd all wish they did bag searches.

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

What if it's 100%? The website does say all ticket holders.

The website says all ticket holders will be subject to searches. The definition of being subject to something according to google is 'likely or prone to be affected by'. So it might not be all, just most.

However the definition also says 'cause or force someone or something to undergo (a particular experience or form of treatment, typically an unwelcome or unpleasant one).' So maybe it means that.

Am I reading to much into this?

Just now, barkley87 said:

True. But also more likely to fall off making everything crash to the ground, including me in a pile of tears.

Nah, just get LOADS of them - we bought about 5 packs from Poundland a few years ago that have done the job nicely.

28 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

what about drugs 

Take them while your waiting.. It'll make the queueing up and the wait more fun lol.. 

Just be sure to give your over drugs to your mates so that when you're having fun with the security they can just walk in... How's that for a cunning plan. 

23 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

I'm completely fine with this. I really don't mind having to wait a bit longer to get in so we're all kept safe.

I do have one question: it says 'please do not wrap your bags / kit in the thick plastic wrap you sometimes see at airports. Your bags will need to be accessible for searches.' I'm guessing that includes fixing stuff to trolleys with pallet wrap? I usually attach things to my trolley this way but if we're unable to this year I'll just load up on bungee straps.

Ratchet straps > bungees

I think I'll just put my drugs in my bra and hope for the best:sungum:

I think if they're searching for drugs the lineup would be a nightmare. 

It would make sense if they did quick sweeps/metal detectors/ bomb sniffing dogs 

It also says to make sure your bags are labelled...maybe they'll have a scanning type thing like at the airport?

I refuse to believe that those that are searched thoroughly will have to take everything out of their bags. I'm sure if you hide any drugs at thr bottom of your camping bags you'll be fine. Can't see them taking out all your food, clothing etc. 

That being said,  I'm arriving around 3/4pm on one of the coaches on Wednesday so not sure if that raises my chances of being searched or not. Last two years I've just walked straight in.

Edited by rhg_99

If you're worried about bringing things in and being searched just don't bring it. They're trying to keep the festival safe and anything that makes it more of a hassle for them can't be a good thing. I was going to bring battery powered fairy lights etc but I might just leave them at home. Don't really need them and makes it easier for searches 

12 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Am I the only person that thinks this is an absolutely pointless exercise, designed to create the illusion of making everybody safer but in reality just going to make Wednesday a nightmare for everybody involved?

If it makes people safer (even if they just feel it) and it deters an attack then no it really isn't pointless. 

Its not something I'm worried about but many are and they're right to address it. 

Just now, The60ftOctopus said:

Oh and from previous experience, they will take everything out your bag if they want to. Then you will have to put it all back in yourself. It's a pain in the ass. 

Can vouch for this, had my bag emptied at bestival last year. Complete faff to get it all back in again but I didn't mind too much, had to explain all my meds I have too but I always take boxes with the prescription on 

Just now, The60ftOctopus said:

I'm intrigued to see how they're going to do the car searches. Won't this just congest the roads even worse than last year? 

I think it's fair enough. At creamfields they search everyone. Even had my mallet confiscated to find you can just buy them inside anyway.

I drive past Old Trafford every day on the way to work and the back car park people use when visiting have a dog and two staff with mirrors on sticks looking around the cars... they're going through the boots too.

I'd imagine it will be something like this

2 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I'm intrigued to see how they're going to do the car searches. Won't this just congest the roads even worse than last year? 

I think it's fair enough. At creamfields they search everyone. Even had my mallet confiscated to find you can just buy them inside anyway.

Just ask the campsite crew volunteers at the old caravans on each campsite - they usually have a hefty one you can borrow.