New security measures in place

brettredmayne

22 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I came by train, but never mind. There are only 'security concerns' about teeny, tiny three-inch blades because the media tells us there are security concerns.

You're more likely to be stabbed to death by a fucking tent peg, which is a full three inches longer and significantly sharper than the longest tool on my Swiss army knife. And that's all else I'm going to say on the ridiculous, paranoid matter. 

Because it is a lot easier for one to stab someone with a tent peg.

Good. I'm getting bored of this anyway.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Placid Casual said:

In all seriousness, something that can be used to stab someone to death probably shouldn't be allowed in the fest. I understand they have their uses and everyone going to the festival who's taking one will most likely have good intentions, but I can understand there being security concerns over bringing them in and anyone who has their's taken off them by security on entry shouldn't really complain. Especially when security offer the chance to collect it later on and return it to their car.

Swiss Army knives, or penknives, are pretty standard camping and festival items. They also have a small blade. My query was around whether there had been a decision to ban them, and whether that should have been listed on the FAQ or security requirements on the GFL website, knowing that many people, apart from yourself it seems, carry them at festivals.

If all Swiss Army knives were banned then were all the knives taken from the cutlery drawer of  campervans, as many of them would have longer blades?

it was actually going to Glastonbury Festival in 1992 that prompted me to get a Swiss Army knife, after seeing a camping neighbour using one for a myriad of tasks.

27 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I thought everyone's 5 a day consisted of alcohol, cigarettes, weed, ket & ecstasy.

Nicotine, Valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol . . . 

Vicodin! Not cyclozine! Sorry queens

Edited by balti-pie

31 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Sorry for the nitpicking, but aren't campervans camped outside the actual festival? ;)

No, as I understand it they are parked within the festival and subject to the same restrictions. Some of my friends were worried about whether they would be able to take repair equipment in.

Unless they have chosen the Bath and West Showground option. 

I fully support the security checks- the suggestion of increased checks might be enough to put off someone up to no good. 

I play by the rules, but find it frustrating when the rules aren't clear. 

6 minutes ago, AnnaGrant said:

No, as I understand it they are parked within the festival and subject to the same restrictions. Some of my friends were worried about whether they would be able to take repair equipment in.

Unless they have chosen the Bath and West Showground option. 

I fully support the security checks- the suggestion of increased checks might be enough to put off someone up to no good. 

I play by the rules, but find it frustrating when the rules aren't clear. 

I stand corrected!

3 hours ago, Tyonks said:

My opinion on the new security measures was that it was a pointless farce like I expected it to be. 

This... 

Purely for propaganda use only, I found the searches non existent. Even more so in East Camper, more lax than ever before. I could of took in all manner of weapons or worse over the course of the weekend. Did not get searched once. 

I'm interested to know - does anyone know rules about leaving on the Monday?

We were heading off about 16:30 and saw some police going through tents telling people that they had to be off-site by 6pm; all done pleasantly enough, but is that the case? I thought you could stay on a little longer if you wanted to? 

We were all out by 5pm latest, but I'd always been of the impression that anyone wanting to stay on could do so for a few days? What's the policy here?

1 minute ago, The Pumpkin King said:

I'm interested to know - does anyone know rules about leaving on the Monday?

We were heading off about 16:30 and saw some police going through tents telling people that they had to be off-site by 6pm; all done pleasantly enough, but is that the case? I thought you could stay on a little longer if you wanted to? 

We were all out by 5pm latest, but I'd always been of the impression that anyone wanting to stay on could do so for a few days? What's the policy here?

You have to go on Monday, traders start leaving at 6pm on Monday so the policy tends to be that you need to go before then, as the sign posts start coming down then too and stewards start to go home, making it poss. harder to find your way out/leave.

5 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

You have to go on Monday, traders start leaving at 6pm on Monday so the policy tends to be that you need to go before then, as the sign posts start coming down then too and stewards start to go home, making it poss. harder to find your way out/leave.

Got ya. 

interesting I'd always thought that you could stay on for a few more days even though nothing was open etc. Fair enough.

7 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

And I explained a number of things I need(ed) my Swiss Army knife for.

Why 'alas'? 

I fail to see your objection to a small knife and sundry other gadgets folded away and kept in my pocket or bag. It's less than 3 inches long and is a perfectly legal tool to have. It goes everywhere with me and has done for nearly 25 years. What, precisely, is your problem?

I also own something that's roughly about 3 inches in length, has travelled around with me for almost 25 years now and is often tucked away out of sight.

But by jolly I can do some damage with it.