New security measures in place

brettredmayne

I had a legit epo band. Apart from it being checked to make sure it was legit, I only got searched once going in. Even then because I was chatting away and having a laugh with the staff, they only did a cursory check of the front pocket of my bag before sending me on my way.

From what I heard from my friends, the queues on the Wednesday were pretty long and tiring, exacerbated by the heat and moving at an annoyingly slow pace which didn't allow for breaks from having bags on backs.

The main thing is, everyone survived and everyone had a mostly safe festival.  I don't know how many (if any) dangerous items were found, but glass and flares still made it through so I'm not entirely sure what it achieved. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/06/2017 at 2:29 PM, eodsi said:

As somebody who teaches person search to security services, I can tell you these 'security' personnel were well outside their remit as searchers/security.

1/ Private security personnel are not permitted to touch you, unless it is for the purpose of conducting a search. Even then it is a glide over you and not a 'pat down'. Without your consent, it can technically be classed as assault.

2/ Private security cannot open any bags etc you may be carrying without your prior consent, (however purchasing a glasto ticket may be taken as agreeing to that consent in the terms and conditions!) 

3/ If you agree to a search, you may be asked to remove outer clothes ONLY, hat, gloves jacket, shoes. Beyond that you must be taken somewhere private, and under the supervision of a trained professional of the same sex.

5/ Internal searches may ONLY be carried out by a medically trained person.

6/ As a citizen of this country, you actually have more powers of arrest than a security guard! Security can only ask you to remain with them until police arrive. 

However....

Should you make a citizens arrest as should have been done here for assault, then if that person leaves they are then committing an offence for which they can be arrested.

What's point 4?

4 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

No one has mentioned the name/number tags we were asked to put on our bags. It seemed like a bit of a waste of time to me. 

It would have helped the person who's bag I found in Bella's field without any form of ID. Handed it in anyway in the hope it would make it back to it's owner.

Curious about what the definition of 'knives' is.

When my son and I came in through gate D on Wednesday afternoon my son was asked if he had glass or knives in his luggage. He said 'no, apart from a Swiss army knife'. But the security chap said he couldn't take it in and took it off him. He said he could hold it for an hour or so if we wanted to reclaim it and take it back to the car.

So after taking all our stuff, pitching the tent, passing out in the afternoon sun I had to race back to get the knife and take it back to the car. 

The security chap seemed quite nice, but if army knives/penknives had been specifically listed as banned we wouldn't have brought it. 

Anyone else had similar problems?

Apart from that we only had cursory searches on entry and exits.

Edited by AnnaGrant
Spelling

44 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

No one has mentioned the name/number tags we were asked to put on our bags. It seemed like a bit of a waste of time to me. 

It also would've helped the guy in our campsite who allegedly* left his bag at a stall and it got taken away and destroyed. 

*I cant verify this story

Only encountered light searches during the way in on Wednesday morning, just a simple pat down of my rucksack and asked if I had any glass or sharpe objects before being ushered to proceed through.

However on the beer run later on Wednesday evening once it had started to cool down a bit, was subjected to a pretty thorough search of my coolbox and day bag, nothing illicit was found, but they did confiscate my disposal BBQ, stating that they are not allowed. I've taken one every year since 2011 and never had issues before, but security were quite nice about the whole process, so I didn't complain and just put it down heat & dryness that day so increased fire risk.

Got back to the tent, cracked open a cold beer & put on Worthy FM only to hear guidelines on safe BBQ usage (including disposables) on site. Which was slightly annoying, but there are far to many great food alternatives on site for this to ever be a problem.

20 minutes ago, ][nfil said:
Only encountered light searches during the way in on Wednesday morning, just a simple pat down of my rucksack and asked if I had any glass or sharpe objects before being ushered to proceed through.

However on the beer run later on Wednesday evening once it had started to cool down a bit, was subjected to a pretty thorough search of my coolbox and day bag, nothing illicit was found, but they did confiscate my disposal BBQ, stating that they are not allowed. I've taken one every year since 2011 and never had issues before, but security were quite nice about the whole process, so I didn't complain and just put it down heat & dryness that day so increased fire risk.

Got back to the tent, cracked open a cold beer & put on Worthy FM only to hear guidelines on safe BBQ usage (including disposables) on site. Which was slightly annoying, but there are far to many great food alternatives on site for this to ever be a problem.

Yeh I brought a couple with me, used them next to a watch tower, no one cared 

14 hours ago, AnnaGrant said:

Curious about what the definition of 'knives' is.

When my son and I came in through gate D on Wednesday afternoon my son was asked if he had glass or knives in his luggage. He said 'no, apart from a Swiss army knife'. But the security chap said he couldn't take it in and took it off him. He said he could hold it for an hour or so if we wanted to reclaim it and take it back to the car.

So after taking all our stuff, pitching the tent, passing out in the afternoon sun I had to race back to get the knife and take it back to the car. 

The security chap seemed quite nice, but if army knives/penknives had been specifically listed as banned we wouldn't have brought it. 

Anyone else had similar problems?

Apart from that we only had cursory searches on entry and exits.

I took my Swiss army knife - always do. The guy checking my bag saw it and made no comment whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If your tent catches fire and you need a quick exit, my mate says.

Not that I take one like.

I'd have fuck all idea where mine was and by the time I'd fumbled around and found mine, I could've been out of the tent the normal way.

At least you're not all bringing Stanley knives.

3 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Why do you need to take a Swiss army knife to Glastonbury??

Um, because it's useful??? Swiss army knives are not banned. They're a perfectly legitimate thing to take on a camping holiday.

Peeling fruit. Cutting things with scissors (like the sleeves off a t-shirt). Filing a rough nail. Opening a tin. Pulling out a splinter. Fixing the screw in my glasses. Slicing open a suncream bottle to get the last bits out of the bottom...

Just now, pie_and_a_pint said:

Um, because it's useful??? Swiss army knives are not banned. They're a perfectly legitimate thing to take on a camping holiday.

Peeling fruit. Cutting things with scissors (like the sleeves off a t-shirt). Filing a rough nail. Opening a tin. Pulling out a splinter. Fixing the screw in my glasses. Slicing open a suncream bottle to get the last bits out of the bottom...

I asked why do you need a Swiss army knife. Not why would you want to take one.

Alas, if that's how you like to do Glastonbury then you can bring something for almost all of those which do not come with a knife attached.

1 minute ago, The Placid Casual said:

Alas, if that's how you like to do Glastonbury then you can bring something for almost all of those which do not come with a knife attached.

But then you wouldn't have a knife to defend yourself from scousers trying to mug you for your ket

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I brought one with me too, showed it to security on the way in with no problems. I used mine for cutting string and tape. Very useful! 

2 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

And I explained a number of things I need(ed) my Swiss Army knife for.

Why 'alas'? 

I fail to see your objection to a small knife and sundry other gadgets folded away and kept in my pocket or bag. It's less than 3 inches long and is a perfectly legal tool to have. It goes everywhere with me and has done for nearly 25 years. What, precisely, is your problem?

And I explained a number of things I need(ed) my Swiss Army knife for.

Why 'alas'? 

I fail to see your objection to a small knife and sundry other gadgets folded away and kept in my pocket or bag. It's less than 3 inches long and is a perfectly legal tool to have. It goes everywhere with me and has done for nearly 25 years. What, precisely, is your problem?

I don't have a problem with you carrying one. I have a problem with everyone being able to carry one.

Soz.

Just now, The Placid Casual said:

I don't have a problem with you carrying one. I have a problem with everyone being able to carry one.

Soz.

Why though? Do you think we're all going to have teeny tiny little knife fights a la Robin Hood Men In Tights with our teeny tiny little knives???

Good grief...

In all seriousness, something that can be used to stab someone to death probably shouldn't be allowed in the fest. I understand they have their uses and everyone going to the festival who's taking one will most likely have good intentions, but I can understand there being security concerns over bringing them in and anyone who has their's taken off them by security on entry shouldn't really complain. Especially when security offer the chance to collect it later on and return it to their car.

Just now, The Placid Casual said:

In all seriousness, something that can be used to stab someone to death probably shouldn't be allowed in the fest. I understand they have their uses and everyone going to the festival who's taking one will most likely have good intentions, but I can understand there being security concerns over bringing them in and anyone who has their's taken off them by security on entry shouldn't really complain. Especially when security offer the chance to collect it later on and return it to their car.

I came by train, but never mind. There are only 'security concerns' about teeny, tiny three-inch blades because the media tells us there are security concerns.

You're more likely to be stabbed to death by a fucking tent peg, which is a full three inches longer and significantly sharper than the longest tool on my Swiss army knife. And that's all else I'm going to say on the ridiculous, paranoid matter. 

22 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

There's a hell of a lot of items that can be used to stab someone. Do we remove all sharp objects and hold Glastonbury in a padded room?