New security measures in place

brettredmayne

18 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

That is meathead. I'll bet the camping stores are still selling them. This was at the Pedestrian Gate not the Car Park entrance right?

I think it's bollocks. We're going camping for five days ffs, not entering a nightclub for a couple of hours. Back in the day we all had them when we were seven year old cub scouts and most of us aren't kids any more.

/old man rant

Oh well, mines packed now. I will leave it in the car. It's easily the most useful thing I've ever found. I've had it for over thirty years now (though I shall tell them it was a gift from my mother) and I'll be buggered if I let someone confiscate it. As I've said before in this thread, penknives are totally legal to carry in the UK.

Doesn't make a difference if pen knives are legal. So is a bottle of wine or a glass jar of mayonnaise- but if they have said we can't take them in that's their rules which we should abide by! 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Loutag said:

Good!!! The whole point of the checks is to confiscate items like this!! 

not sure why , I was bought up to learn how to use pen knives and always have a swiss army knife in the car as they are so handy in an emergency... you can do just as much damage with a tent peg ...  

4 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

not sure why , I was bought up to learn how to use pen knives and always have a swiss army knife in the car as they are so handy in an emergency... you can do just as much damage with a tent peg ...  

So if a terrorist gave that excuse and got in with a knife would you be happy with that?

Just now, Loutag said:

So if a terrorist gave that excuse and got in with a knife would you be happy with that?

I'm not questioning you just seems  a little odd as so many items in my bags which are  just as lethal and yet allowed .. i.e. lighters with gas canisters , as I'm not a terrorist threat I don't know the ins and outs but it just seems a little OTT, obviously if it's a full on hunting knife then yes but multiple utilityy knives seems a little extreme and not your average festival terrorist would want to use as they would be looking for big impact 

4 minutes ago, Loutag said:

There's a bit of a difference between penknives/multi-tools than the 12" blades the recent London attackers used. We're not hacking through jungles so no need for a machete however if the security teams have been told to look for blades and they find them it will be down to their discretion what they do with them.

5 minutes ago, Loutag said:

Down with this bollox, theres plenty of weapons here on site a terrorist could use... Hey if they came at me with s pen knife id just kick em in the balls.

Honestly, i dont mean to be disrespectful as fears are relative.   But all this flapping about what could hapoen really is outragous.

Anyways, get in here, lets party ..  Supporting this level of securirty means they have won.

27 minutes ago, bsolxiv said:

I'm confused, we're being asked to pack light and people are taking axes? I know we're camping but it's at a festival not a bivouac in the highlands. Carrying a pen knife these days? What does one do with it these days? I would say out of all the people who carry knives nowadays the majority are for nefarious purposes. 

Have you seen how much firewood they provide on site?

9 minutes ago, garc1a said:

Supporting this level of securirty means they have won.

Supporting less security could, in contrast, open an opportunity for an attack, meaning they win more so. 

How WE win isn't down to security checks but the spirit in which we approach a necessary adjustment. If we turn inward, fight amongst ourselves, moan and complain and generally allow the fun of the wider event to escape us, that's how they truly win. 

Extra security means they win the battle. Complying with it for our collective safety and making sure we have a fucking good time regardless means we win the war. 

Edited by kalifire

55 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hehe, confiscating penknives is pure and simple bullshit. How many catering stalls are there on site? Hundreds. How many knives, cleavers etc on those stalls? It must total thousands. But no, we'll spend our time getting tiny penknives confiscated. Farcical.

Would be nice if they at least put it on the official do not bring list. Going to be entertaining watching the Jerk chicken guys hacking meat up with a wooden knife :P

Will leave mine at home anyhow, don't want any unnecessary hassle from security.

2 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Would be nice if they at least put it on the official do not bring list. Going to be entertaining watching the Jerk chicken guys hacking meat up with a wooden knife :P

Will leave mine at home anyhow, don't want any unnecessary hassle from security.

Yeah, me too. I made that decision last night not to take my little pocket knife (that i usually take) with me. It's daft, but you're never going to win the argument when you get to the gates. 

19 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Last year was bloody hard work at times. By the time I got to Sunday afternoon I just couldn't drum up the energy to go from the pyramid field to the temple for the tomato fight. My feet just could not cope with mud any more . . . it'll be so nice to sit down everywhere this year! 

You did better than me, by 6 o'clock Sunday night we were leaving, had enough of the mud etc. Very lucky to get off site fairly quick. Left tent etc behind, ok goes against ethics, just wanted out of there. Both gave a lot of thought to trying for tickets again, but decided not to try again, and move on to some smaller festivals instead. Had some good times at Glastonbury, and a few bad as well, mostly weather issues. Enough is Enough. I did get a couple of tickets for daughters, one an old hand and the other would gave been a newbie. Unfortunately the newbie changed her mind re Manchester terror attack, and wouldn't go, her sitster reluctantly agreed, was past getting refund date, but they were lucky to sell tickets on at a good price. I respect there views, it's sad though, but both myself and wife are in a way happy there not going. It is one of the best music festivals going, but with the way the world is today, much stronger security measures, no matter how inconvenient are needed. This will become the norm I'm afraid. Everyone chill out accept the extra security, be safe and enjoy the music.

6 minutes ago, denwyn said:

You did better than me, by 6 o'clock Sunday night we were leaving, had enough of the mud etc. Very lucky to get off site fairly quick. Left tent etc behind, ok goes against ethics, just wanted out of there. Both gave a lot of thought to trying for tickets again, but decided not to try again, and move on to some smaller festivals instead. Had some good times at Glastonbury, and a few bad as well, mostly weather issues. Enough is Enough. I did get a couple of tickets for daughters, one an old hand and the other would gave been a newbie. Unfortunately the newbie changed her mind re Manchester terror attack, and wouldn't go, her sitster reluctantly agreed, was past getting refund date, but they were lucky to sell tickets on at a good price. I respect there views, it's sad though, but both myself and wife are in a way happy there not going. It is one of the best music festivals going, but with the way the world is today, much stronger security measures, no matter how inconvenient are needed. This will become the norm I'm afraid. Everyone chill out accept the extra security, be safe and enjoy the music.

Dumping tents and selling on tix at inflated prices. Not exactly popular ethics round these parts. 

Last year i had to walk a few miles due to the coach driver being stuckin traffic too long so the cops told him he had to stop, go to bath midday got to glastonbury 11pm, Carrying 24 ciders and all your gear that long was rough! I drank loads on the way too :D

Legs went to jelly, pretty much had to sit for all of muse. got alot better after that. then the mud WOW But nothing will touch 2007 in my eyes!

1253917261_Glastonbury_014[1].jpg

Edited by Cleverleyson