New security measures in place

brettredmayne

1 minute ago, robin said:

Except at airports that's not what happens. Your bag gets x-rayed without you beside it, but it doesn't get searched or opened until you are back stood infront of it.

I'm not suggesting it will get searched without you.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Could i walk in with nothing, go straight back out and go to re entry which would probably be more quiet till a few hours later.

Sure re entry is always a different queue 

Might as well take your tent and a couple of beers to secure your camping spot.

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Could i walk in with nothing, go straight back out and go to re entry which would probably be more quiet till a few hours later.

We are getting there dead early around 3am and hoping to be one of the first groups in, so just taking tents and chairs in first time around as we think the re-entry queue will be quiet if we went straight back to the cars before midday.

6 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

As a group we're debating this. Going in with just tent then coming straight back out 

Edited by TomByTheThames

7 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

But won't you already have had to queue up to the gate to get in? Regardless of what you're bringing in? 

So hadn't you may as well just take the 3 mins to search you whilst you're there and take your stuff in the one go? Or am I missing something? 

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

If the queues are going to be as long as the festival have been saying i'd do it all in 1 go, otherwise you run the risk of having to queue for ages twice. Everyone is in the same boat so they'll all be delayed finding a camping spot.

I think the issue is more that if you are in a big group and some are pulled aside for searches and others aren't, it'll delay getting to your desired campsite. There's only about 12 of us going down at first but more are joining later, we're taking the majority of tents to pitch though, so for us it wouldn't make sense for us to take everything and run the risk of being pulled aside for searches which take longer.  We are just going to take tents and some beers for the queue first time around and hope the re-entry queue is shorter.

Just now, st dan said:

But won't you already have had to queue up to the gate to get in? Regardless of what you're bringing in? 

So hadn't you may as well just take the 3 mins to search you whilst you're there and take your stuff in the one go? Or am I missing something? 

You are correct. The two-trips thing relies entirely on a re-entry queue being much shorter / less strict and therefore quicker. I can't see this being the case, or at least even if it is quicker than the normal queue this year year, it'll still be much, much longer than the usual re-entry queue situation

Just now, SpeakingmyChanguage said:

You are correct. The two-trips thing relies entirely on a re-entry queue being much shorter / less strict and therefore quicker. I can't see this being the case, or at least even if it is quicker than the normal queue this year year, it'll still be much, much longer than the usual re-entry queue situation

It only really applies to people who can't take everything in one trip anyway, they may as well take less first time around. If everyone took less on the first trip everyone would get their wristbands quicker and then it's up to them to go back to the cars when they feel like it.

They have said there will be a separate trolley queue, worth avoiding that if you want a quicker entry. I'm assuming the big searches with stripping off of plastic wrap are going to be for the trolley users and just a quick look over for those people just with bags.

I don't imagine the re-entry queue will be quicker if you have bags as these will mean you'll need to be in the bag search queue. Otherwise it's a pretty easy system to foil, go in with nothing then re-entry with all your bags full of weapons via the re-entry queue. The only thing you'll avoid be the re-entry queue is the wristband queue.

Edited by Johnnyseven

Also worth adding that every year I've been to Glasto by car I've always gone back to the car for a second trip and each time I've walked straight back in re-entry with no queue. Now I'm not saying there will be no queue this year as searches will be heightened but the fact that there is no queue in the first place means it is much more likely to be a smaller queue than the main one really.

11 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

We are getting there dead early around 3am and hoping to be one of the first groups in, so just taking tents and chairs in first time around as we think the re-entry queue will be quiet if we went straight back to the cars before midday.

You need to be earlier than 3am if you want to be in the front of the queue. With weather like this by midnight thousands of people will be already in the queue.

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

I don't imagine the re-entry queue will be quicker if you have bags as these will mean you'll need to be in the bag search queue. Otherwise it's a pretty easy system to foil, go in with nothing then re-entry with all your bags full of weapons.

re-entry is a separate entrance to main entrances altogether though so though we don't know what they are going to do this year it's likely that they will just perform searches at the re-entry gates. I would imagine that people re-entering will skip the main queue as usual, why would you want to clog up a queue with those who do and don't have their wristbands yet? that would be madness and a security threat in itself.

1 minute ago, Fred Zepplin said:

You need to be earlier than 3am if you want to be in the front of the queue. With weather like this by midnight thousands of people will be already in the queue.

yeah, under no illusions we'll be at the front at all, but we've got there at that time before and when we've eventually got in have been one of the first groups to pitch in the camp site we head for.

1 minute ago, rpfranks said:

yeah, under no illusions we'll be at the front at all, but we've got there at that time before and when we've eventually got in have been one of the first groups to pitch in the camp site we head for.

we normally get in for car park opening and get in the queue. There's only 2 of us this year so we are just going to get onsite for early afternoon on the Wednesday, not fussed where we camp and hopefully the queues will have gone by then

I will be taking a lighter than usual load in first up and then will try and time any other trips to the car to quieter times. I rarely sleep very well so instead of being bored at 7.30am waiting for others to wake up I will head to the car for supplies

20 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I expect you are right.  In 2013 the weather the evening before the festival was magnificent, people turned up overnight in their droves.  We arrived at gate D about 2am and were pretty much the last people in the zig-zag fencing, after which the wider queue formed behind us overnight and was huge. 

Every year it is different, that's the thing, so no predicting whether more people will arrive later in the day or even more hold off til Thursday or if it's going to be one of those years where 90% of people are onsite by lunchtime.

1 minute ago, 40 Days said:

Sounds like Wednesday afternoon is going to be a long one, surely it makes a lot more sense to have airport-style scanners in place? Have a feeling security could be this year's fiasco, as the traffic was last year.

possibly. If only the festival had a database of people's details they could co-ordinate with the terror watchlist 

I was always warned about long lines to get in on a wenesday anyway even before this but always found it far overhyped, last year I did the coach package I did this year for example got on site about 7am, joined the line which wasnt long at all and basically walked right in soon as gates opened. I was told all these horror stories about how on a wenesday if you werent arriving and lining up overnight you had no chance of a quick entry and that turned out to be utter bollocks. 

Mind you that may be because ive always come in via gate a, is that less busy then other gates? serving as it does just bike and coach customers?